Shocks

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Shocks

Post by Mud Dog »

I've often heard guys punting Monroe shocks, and I wondered, how good are they really. I've had OME Nitro-chargers for years and happen to find them a little on the stiff side, but with a good travel length for axle articulation.
Anybody know how the Monroe's compare?
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Re: Shocks

Post by CasKru »

As far as I know it is not the brand that makes it stiff or not. It depends for what vehicle they were intended. For instance, according to what I have heard is that the rear shocks on a LC and Legend shape Hilux had about the same travel but the LC's shocks is much harder than the Hilux ones. So if you fit LC Monroe shocks, it would be a much more harder ride than fitted with the Hilux Monroe shock.

Quality wise, I believe that Monroe is one of the top ones out there and is definitely worth it.
To God be the glory
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

Thanks Cassie
Ja, I've been under the impression that they are good quality, and as you so rightly say, the correct shocks for each vehicle. However, as we both know, travel length makes a big difference in the rough which is why I opted for the OME's at the time because I was persuaded that they were right for the Lux and that they had the better travel. It's that part I was wondering about.
I've been happy with the Nitro's, the stiffer ride has it's pro's in better road holding and I have that little extra confidence when having to 'drop off' an edge here and there, or when touching down after being airbourne. They're a bit long in the tooth now but still very serviceable, so I don't need to replace yet. I have noticed a little squeaking on one or two, but that's probably just a dry seal. I don't know if greasing / oiling the stantion shaft would be the right thing to do because of dust collection and creating an abrasive paste. Any hints? :idea: :?:

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Perosnaly I will never oil them. This will only destroy them :(

Just for interest sake. If I'm not mistaken the Hilux (legend shape) shock has the same travel as the OME Nitrous.
To God be the glory
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 1996

Post by LouisZ »

Your stiff Ome Shocks can be a factor of these Factors:

1. How many blades do you have in the front and back in the leafspring pack?(Front: 5 or 6, back 6 or 7) More the blades per pack the harder the ride.
2. When last did you service your blades and bushes? ( Greased them). Can cause limited movement and makes the ride harder.
3. The part no on the shocks, if it is the front OMEN93, back OMEN85, these shocks have firmer valving to be used with heavy loaded bakkies,example, front bumper & winch, back Heavy canopy, drawer, rear bumper with double spare wheel carriers, extra tank. If these are fitted to a unloaded bakkie the ride will be hard.

Mix any 2 of the 3 and your ride will be hard, it is always neccessary to choose the combination otherwise you sit with the harder ride.

Best Regards,
Louis
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Thanks guys for your interesting input.

Cassie, if my SFA '90 model is what you refer to when you say "legend shape", then somewhere there may be a difference in shock standards between models because after the OME kit was installed the brake line hoses were at their absolute minimum whereas before they had a lot of slack.

Louis, yes, it was emphasised to me at the time to keep the springs well greased which I do, and I've had to do the shackle bushes once as well (must be about due again). At the time I opted for 6 leaves front and 6 leaves back because I did'nt anticipate carrying heavy loads although I notice that the two bottom leaves of the back cluster are a lot thicker than the others. I am to understand that ride comfort depends mostly on the front setup and I felt 6 would be better than 5 because of the motor weight and I had a heavy bullbar fitted at the time. This having been removed (it got a little warped in the bush :sick: ) would obviously stiffen up the front as well. They are as you say N93 (front) and N85 (back).

Perhaps I need to drop the whole lot out, strip, clean and lubricate. It could even be the shock bushes that are squeaking. Will have to deal with the govt. and organise an uninterupted weekend. :think:

CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Andy.. the legend shape is last shape just before the current shape. The first IFS range.
To God be the glory
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by LouisZ »

Hi Andy,

What motor do you have in the Lux? You say your front blades warped, was you front saddles strengtened at the time they fitted the OME? If you have the 2.8 diesel they had to it. :x

Regards,
Louis
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

4x4megaworldpta wrote:Hi Andy,

What motor do you have in the Lux? You say your front blades warped, was you front saddles strengtened at the time they fitted the OME? If you have the 2.8 diesel they had to it. :x

Regards,
Louis
To add to this question, is your bump stops still in place and did they leave the originals or fit new ones?
To God be the glory
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

:D: :D: Louis, either I did'nt make it clear enough, or you did'nt read it 'clear enough' .... the bull bar got a bit warped in the bush, not the springs, LOL. (Too embarrasing a story to post on this forum! :oops: :shh: )

Still the original motor (4Y) in there, with just a little over 200k on the clock and still going well, giving me an average of about 8km/lit and using about a pint of oil per 350km (Helix).

Cassie, they never changed any of the stops. Should they have? I can't recall ever 'bottoming out' even after an 'all fours' one metre high touch down. (Perhaps due to the stiffer shocks).

BTW, they should have called the old SFA's the 'Legends', cos they really are.

Speaking of SFA's, how difficult is it to bend a banjo housing by hitting into an obstacle with the front wheel? I have picked up a slight tracking problem (toe in on turns) after a bit of a rough stint in the rocky terrain. It's not bad, but I'm thinking it's more likely to be the steering arm that's a little bent. I had about one and a half degrees toe in out of alignment after the incident and adjusted that, but still pick it up on turns.

CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Mud Dog wrote::D: :D: Louis, either I did'nt make it clear enough, or you did'nt read it 'clear enough' .... the bull bar got a bit warped in the bush, not the springs, LOL. (Too embarrasing a story to post on this forum! :oops: :shh: )

Still the original motor (4Y) in there, with just a little over 200k on the clock and still going well, giving me an average of about 8km/lit and using about a pint of oil per 350km (Helix).

Cassie, they never changed any of the stops. Should they have? I can't recall ever 'bottoming out' even after an 'all fours' one metre high touch down. (Perhaps due to the stiffer shocks).

BTW, they should have called the old SFA's the 'Legends', cos they really are.

Speaking of SFA's, how difficult is it to bend a banjo housing by hitting into an obstacle with the front wheel? I have picked up a slight tracking problem (toe in on turns) after a bit of a rough stint in the rocky terrain. It's not bad, but I'm thinking it's more likely to be the steering arm that's a little bent. I had about one and a half degrees toe in out of alignment after the incident and adjusted that, but still pick it up on turns.
I spoke to a manufacturer of raised suspension systems and if I now remember correctly , he stated that they should reduce the length of the bumpstop when fitting raised suspension. If you still have the old one in place, the leave spring will bend over the point they were designed to handle and that is when they will start to warp etc
m2cw
To God be the glory
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by LouisZ »

Now that will be for the sinbin :angel:

The Banjo housing can bend but have to take a very hard knock, just unsure how to check it. Just matter of interest, did you check the Tie ends?

Louis
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

"did you check the Tie ends?"
Yes, but just by eye, not sure how I can check it properly. What I did was measure the distance between the tie-rod end and the rim on each side to see if there was a difference, and I did'nt pick up on anthing wrong there. Actually, it did take quite a knock, one of those 'submerged' rocks hidden in long veld grass, .... saw it at the last second and tried unsuccessfully to avoid. My fault for going too fast in what I assumed to be an area of smooth terrain ..... that's also where I 'warped' (bent) my bull bar. :(

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”