To BANT or not to bant ....

Discuss anything here as long as it is clean. Having a hard time with your Skoonma, tell us about it here, or discuss the Rugby. Whatever you feel like talking about.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

To BANT or not to bant ....

Post by ChrisF »

So the craze has come and sort of blown over ....

Medical professionals more divided than ever - admitting the benefits of the veggies and carbs part, but seeing way too much cholesterol issues to truly buy into the full package ....

I know one of the members here was heavy into Banting. Not sure if he kept it up ...

What say the rest of the peanut gallery ???

Who has tried it ?

Who stuck it out for a week ?

Who stuck it out for a few months ?

Who truly adopted this as a life style ?????

I have NOT read the book ... never got past the "NO-items" - as this is the bulk of our diet .. which may explain my unique physique ..... :surrender: :siffler:

For the life of me I just cant figure WHAT I can actually eat .... YES, I struggle to get past the "NO-items" .... :subscribed:

A shortened "DO-list" would be most helpfull in figuring out if there is any possibility we might stick this out past day 2 ... :naah:

Let me get some popcorn for this show ... or should I first ask: "MAY I consume popcorn" ? :slap: :naah:
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Re: To BANT or not to bant ....

Post by ThysdJ »

yep Banting...

We are still living the lifestyle, as we don't see it as a diet, but a life style...

We started in Aug 2014, I went for a good checkup with the quack, had the blood work done just to get a benchmark of where we were in terms of vitals... Everything withing the prescribed parameters/tolerances for a guy of my age, so we were all happy.

2 months in, we quit smoking... We still smoke free... Previously when I quit smoking I picked up 17kg.. from eating everything in sight.. this time, no such side effects... Somehow I didnt have all those cravings.. We used Champix to quit.. it worked!!

For the first 4 months, we both lost some weight, and I lost 12kg all in all by Christmas. Then we decided to take a "Banting break" because of the pressures that the "Christmas Lunch" puts on the carb intake, as well as the odd carbonated drink over the New years festivities...

I am still 12kg down, but not losing any more. My vitals are better... cholesterol and BP improved... Just the fact that I didn't gain heaps of weight because of the fact that I quit smoking, is a huge bonus.

I realised I am wheat intolerant... when I eat bread (white or brown) I get headaches.. the same headaches I used to get before I started Banting, but I thought it was because of my eyes being sensitive to light, or blocked sinuses?

For the rest.. No side effects..

We are happy living the Banting lifestyle, we dont obsess about it, and every now and then the Captain and his buddy Coke comes to visit, I refuse to drink anything with Tab or Coke Light.. and we welcome him in and have a good time.. Every now and then we go out for dinner, and we eat the whole menu, chips and stuff included... I think that is the secret to this, as it is for everything else in life.. Do it, in moderation...

Your turn...
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '98 LTD
Club VHF Licence: X107

Post by Stef »

Dunno what this Banting is exactly...

But reading the above, I did something similar, the "diet everyone talks about"....er ...well, did it with SWAMBO. Didn't do bloodwork, no tests no nothing...just went with TLAR (that looks about right)

First cut sugar to a minimum (actually switched from Coke to Coke Zero...even with the Captain, but he was most understanding), lost 3 kg instantly.

Did the detox bit.. mostly protein: egg in the morning, protein snack (biltong, popcorn etc), meat & salad for lunch, snack again, meat & salad for supper. Then after 2 weeks or so started adding the starches ect one by one and monitored the rate of weight loss.

So bottom line: I can eat starch, but in smaller amounts and preferably for lunch rather than supper. Bfast very important (never used to eat in the morning)

Results: lost 12Kgs, kept with the breakfast routine, but migrated 3 strips of bacon & 2 eggs, kept with the supper routine more/less, stopped snacking except for the odd Lays & Choclates in the afternoons.
Still doing the Captian & cola, odd Pizza for supper. virtually no excercise.
Picked up 2 kg's again ...stabilised at a 10kg loss overall from what I was 2 yrs ago.

Generally healthy, picked up a bout of Bronchitis 2 weeks ago for only the 2nd time ever.
grobbepj
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Alberton
Vehicle: Hilux legend 35 4x4 3.0kzte D/C

Post by grobbepj »

Been doing this banting thing for about a year now. Lost +-40kg on it. Was on permanent cholesterol and sugar pills (all the way to 1000mg pills twice a day). Have been able to stop all medication about six months ago. Just came from the yearly work check up and the sugar and cholesterol completely normal. So happy woth the progress.

Been cheating a bit more of lat during all the holidays but need to lose the last 15kgs now. Followed it very strict in the beginning but dint obsess about it lately either. (That annoying beer or 12 still shows up sometimes (but much less frequent now)

Not noticed any mayor side affects other than swambos groans as to "what to we eat with the meat". Had one stint of ghout but got it cleared up and now try and do red meat not more than 3 times a week. And tried to cut down on the boerewors (apparently main culprit for the ghout) Not yet had ghout again.

Swambo nit banting full on, just more "eating right". Cut out the silly stuff and breads, pastas and she too is losing well. Like Thys mentioned i teally think moderation is more the key than just banting... If I stuff myself with 100% legal banting stuff I still pick up weight
Warrior
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Brackenfell Cape Town
Vehicle: 08 Vigo 4x4 d/c 4.0L auto
Club VHF Licence: X138

Post by Warrior »

Funny , just bought a bag of fatty droë wors before reading your post. :thumbup:
Also on the banting wagon - its way easier than anything else out there.
Always got energy.
Just keep away from the sugars en carbs - not difficult for me. (Accept Beer :cry: )
Meat + veggies and/ or salad + lots of whiskey & soda = happiness :cooldude:
grobbepj
Town: Alberton
Vehicle: Hilux legend 35 4x4 3.0kzte D/C

Post by grobbepj »

Warrior wrote:Funny , just bought a bag of fatty droë wors before reading your post. :thumbup:
Also on the banting wagon - its way easier than anything else out there.
Always got energy.
Just keep away from the sugars en carbs - not difficult for me. (Accept Beer :cry: )
Meat + veggies and/ or salad + lots of whiskey & soda = happiness :cooldude:
Lol!!

Thats the main advantage... Keep the fat on the biltong (nice thick and yellow) and droewors!!! As mentioned an easy diet for sa men i think...

Now Im hungry. Netnou braai!!! Tjops that sizzle
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Post by Haboob »

Tried the thing, but missed my staple diet of bread which I love...
Egg & Bacon everyday got too much, which was main reason for quitting the diet...
Still try to be good with what I eat, but am not obsessed, My profile shows this clearly...
Drinking more BEER than is healthy for a group of friends...
Have a few shorts now and then to break the terrible beer taste...
Losing the battle as excercise is also avoiding me...
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Haboob wrote:Tried the thing, but missed my staple diet of bread which I love...
Egg & Bacon everyday got too much, which was main reason for quitting the diet...
Still try to be good with what I eat, but am not obsessed, My profile shows this clearly...
Drinking more BEER than is healthy for a group of friends...
Have a few shorts now and then to break the terrible beer taste...
Losing the battle as excercise is also avoiding me...
dank tog .... net begin dink die lot hier rond is fiks en gesond ... :tease: :laugh2:

About 10 years back I had an appointment with a dietitian. Been following an eating plan which basically resemebles a diabetic's diet. Cut back on the bread by about 50%. I ENJOY a roll or three with a braai ...

Breakfast - 6 days a week it is a bit of wheatbix. Saturday it is bacon and egg. As much as I enjoy it, it certainly will loose its sparkle after a few weeks ... and HOW do you eat this without BREAD ?? :shock2: :slap:

My work is such that I seldom know where I will be for lunch, with my car parked in the SUN. So packing in lunch just does not work ... I enjoy a wholeweat ham lettuce tomato type sandwhich for lunch. THIS is consistently the obstacle when thinking of something like the Banting eating plan. Really struggling to wrap my mind around WHAT to eat for lunch - that is readily available, or easy enough to pack and transport.

Supper - 2 braais a week, where I prefer fruit salad .. I dont like normal salad. Then the classic "gekookte kos" for a couple of nights, steadily with less potatoes and rice, and with more other veggies (this I actually enjoy). On average one night a week it would be pizza, kentucky or my favorite - Nandos....

Later in the night I would have a health-rusk (daai met die rosyne in).

The classic problem is that I get bored, then start looking for something nibble on ..... Every bow and then I would buy some nuts, but mostly it would be some Simba chips, or something equally bad ... raak ek sommer nou lus vir chips ... :slap: :frustrated:

On the plus side - lost and regained some weight 5 years back. But still at the exact same weight I was 5 years back .... just a pity I was still over weight back then ...

At least with the pool I am now getting some excercise. :) Now imagine I could consistently loose just 1kg per YEAR ... not interrested in a crash diet, rather a life style that still feels like I am living, AND that allows me to gradually reduce my weight.

PS - I actually did well on the dietician's plan. Then had a BAD spell at work, putting in absolutely insane hours for over two years. Litterally landed at hospital with what I thought was a heart attack. Turns out it was just stress .... after this ordeal I was about 10 to 15kg up in 2 years !! :shock2:
Arras
Town: Graskop
Vehicle: Hilux

Post by Arras »

As most above, not keeping 100% to the rules, but it should not be a curse, but a change in your eating habits.
I cut out all sugar 100% bar the odd slab of chocolate every now and then. I was a condensed milk addict, and my daughter bakes the best lemon meringue ever, so one per month max.

I cut out on all bread and pasta, rice, potatoes. Craved a lot in the beginning, the craving for pot brood with fig jam is diminishing.

I eat butter, always have, hate plastic butter, lots of animal fat and lots of cream. If it says low fat, I don't buy.
SWAMBO actually has become quite creative with the cooking, we now eat lots of veggies with all sorts of cream sauces. I have not eaten so well in a long time. The food she now makes are interesting and very good on the palate.

I lost 10Kg in 4 months, no exercise. I do not gym, run, or walk. I co now where where an engine can not take me.

Before banting, my belly was bloated, and I always felt uncomfortable. This is no longer the case.

So my advice is, to start by reducing and then later totally eliminating all sugar intake. Then start reducing breads and pastas to all starches. The odd bite of bread at a braai is ok.

I am also a coffee addict, and currently coffee with a hint of sugar in does not taste good any more. I love phutu on Saturday mornings for breakfast with butter, cream or milk and no sugar. Not to mention a nice cup of moerkoffie with cream.
swartvark
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Gordons Bay
Vehicle: SFA HiLEX V8; Suzuki GSF1200s Bandit

Post by swartvark »

Wat doen al daai Proteiene aan 'n man se bloeddruk en niere?
MUD........GLORIOUS MUD!!!!!

Your friendly VW salesperson......(with a passion for SFA Hiluxes)

NEED A CAR?
talk2tiaan@gmail.com
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Oooopps -

http://www.health24.com/Diet-and-nutrit ... t-20150421" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tim Noakes to face inquiry over 'Banting' tweet
Prof Tim Noakes will be appearing before the Health Professions Council of South Africa after advising a mother on Twitter to wean her child on low carbohydrate, high fat foods.

"A hearing will be taking place on 4 and 5 June 2015."

The 'Banting' concept

Prof Tim Noakes, whose book, The Real Meal Revolution, is rooted in the concept of "Banting" – low carbohydrate high fat (LCHF) – told Health24 that the complaint was lodged by the Association for Dietetics in South Africa's (ADSA) president Claire Julsing-Strydom.

"I presume it is a personal complaint and not from ADSA directly."

He said that he advised a mother on Twitter that she should wean her child onto LCHF foods, which he described as real foods. "By implication I was saying that the child should not be weaned onto the traditional high sugar, high carbohydrate processed cereals."

Noakes said this has been the norm in the US in 1936 since the introduction of these foods by the Gerber Baby Food’s Company, which is now a subsidiary of the Nestlé Group.

The health conundrum

"Ironically these were the first 'industrial' (i.e. highly processed foods) and they led in time to the highly processed foods that we now eat (and consider to be healthy), in part because as infants our taste was conditioned by our early exposure to these non-foods.

"The aim of The Real Meal Revolution is to encourage the public to understand that they will be healthier eating real foods not fake industrial processed foods. And this need to begin from birth," said Noakes.

He said when he appears before the HPCSA they will decide whether or not he is guilty of “disgraceful conduct on social media”, however Noakes is quite positive.

Is the tide turning?

"I think it could be a turning point in the debate about what our infants, and in turn adults, should be eating," he said.

"If the representatives of HPCSA are prepared to listen to the science, they will realise that there is something very seriously wrong with the teaching of nutrition in South Africa, as it is in the rest of the world."

Noakes added: "The choice between health and ill-health begins with our infants as soon as they are weaned. Attempts to keep this information from the general public cannot succeed forever."

Health24 contacted ADSA for comment on the matter.

Julsing-Strydom said: "ADSA has been advised by the HPCSA to not provide any comments on this matter as the inquiry is subjudice."

Low carb lifestyle summit

In February Noakes hosted South Africa's first low carb lifestyle summit where 16 health experts discussed among other things the widespread increase of obesity and diabetes and how our traditional view on a low fat diet has influenced this.

At the time he said that people who were the most vocal about his eating plans turned down the opportunity to attend the conference
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Arras wrote:As most above, not keeping 100% to the rules, but it should not be a curse, but a change in your eating habits.
I cut out all sugar 100% bar the odd slab of chocolate every now and then. I was a condensed milk addict, and my daughter bakes the best lemon meringue ever, so one per month max.

I cut out on all bread and pasta, rice, potatoes. Craved a lot in the beginning, the craving for pot brood with fig jam is diminishing.

I eat butter, always have, hate plastic butter, lots of animal fat and lots of cream. If it says low fat, I don't buy.
SWAMBO actually has become quite creative with the cooking, we now eat lots of veggies with all sorts of cream sauces. I have not eaten so well in a long time. The food she now makes are interesting and very good on the palate.

I lost 10Kg in 4 months, no exercise. I do not gym, run, or walk. I co now where where an engine can not take me.

Before banting, my belly was bloated, and I always felt uncomfortable. This is no longer the case.

So my advice is, to start by reducing and then later totally eliminating all sugar intake. Then start reducing breads and pastas to all starches. The odd bite of bread at a braai is ok.

I am also a coffee addict, and currently coffee with a hint of sugar in does not taste good any more. I love phutu on Saturday mornings for breakfast with butter, cream or milk and no sugar. Not to mention a nice cup of moerkoffie with cream.
I am always weary of any story that promotes "overly" doing anything.

Got home last night to a plate of Spagetti .. :siffler: :shock2:

Reflected on this topic, and wondered what the average Italian may look like .... For that matter what the average Eastern person looks like that has rice as a staple diet .....

Certainly EXCESS quantities of the carb loaded foods, combined with an exercise free life style, is a toxic mix.

Maybe the solution is a moderate lifestyle using the best of all this knowledge ... :blushing:
Stuart Baak
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Douglasdale
Vehicle: Hilux Legend 40 RB DC auto
Club VHF Licence: H61

Post by Stuart Baak »

I lost 20kg's or so over a year or there about. This was not due to dieting, sticking to a plan, this was me deciding to exercise (not heavily) and nip the bud at the source- The shopping centre. I do most of the cooking and shopping etc, and just not buying the cr@p stuff is where it began.

Bought fresh groceries, and very little processed rubbish. Stayed away from starch with the exception of natural starch such as potatoes etc. Take for example last night, bought a head of lettuce, baby tomatoes, cucumber and spring onion, that paired with thinly sliced smoked chicken breasts and balsamic vinegar, made for a quick, easy dinner! Took me 10 min to slice, wash and plate. Plus no relying on eskom to heat food.

Bottom line (as mentioned above before) is that if you change your lifestyle, that's what makes the difference. No point in eating a salad for lunch and a pizza for dinner...

My2cw
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Stuart Baak wrote:I lost 20kg's or so over a year or there about. This was not due to dieting, sticking to a plan, this was me deciding to exercise (not heavily) and nip the bud at the source- The shopping centre. I do most of the cooking and shopping etc, and just not buying the cr@p stuff is where it began.

Bought fresh groceries, and very little processed rubbish. Stayed away from starch with the exception of natural starch such as potatoes etc. Take for example last night, bought a head of lettuce, baby tomatoes, cucumber and spring onion, that paired with thinly sliced smoked chicken breasts and balsamic vinegar, made for a quick, easy dinner! Took me 10 min to slice, wash and plate. Plus no relying on eskom to heat food.

Bottom line (as mentioned above before) is that if you change your lifestyle, that's what makes the difference. No point in eating a salad for lunch and a pizza for dinner...

My2cw
we, well the wife and I, are creatures of habit ....

I think the challenge is to gradually replace one "bad" recipe at a time with a "good" recipe - like the one you just posted. I know my wife has at least two favorite recipies - that all but healthy

sadly 99% of recipe books are a fantacy of "presentation", rather than concentrating on actually providing good healthy AND practical recipies.
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Changed our lifestyle completely.
I do not believe in diets , I do not believe in stressing so much about eating the right stuff so that in the end you die of stress instead of a bad diet.
I love eating and I love good food.
So here is the pietpetoors version of the banting diet.

My banting diet is very relaxing and simple.
The book is good to read because most people have the wrong idea because of incorrect word of mouth versions.
It is something like 80 grams of meat per time (not as much as you can eat) and not more than 40 grams of starches per day.

So my 40 grams of starches I choose to be my one slice of toast with 2x eggs for breakfast , not 2 slices no more.
Further we just swopped potatoes, rice and pasta with more green beans, baby marrows, spinach, peppers, etc and we eat more salad and carrots.
Yes carrots, they come from under the ground but they form part of the banting book's recipes and I decided that I have read so many stories of people who were cured of cancer by eating plenty a carrot that there is no way it can be bad or that one should stop eating it.
Lunch is no more tubies or snacks, is now nuts or a chicken wing or russian or something protein rich. I could not believe that I can get through the day with one or two chicken wings for lunch, but I do. (easily).

With above I theoretically do not do no sugar more ( :lmao: ) , but yes cutting out sugar makes a big difference but again I am not going to keep myself out of sleep if I indulged in a chocolate bar once a week.

Lost 12 Kg within a matter of month and half or so and now I am stuck on where I am. I am sure if I follow the "diet" more strictly I can shed another 4 or 5 easily but this is where the balance between stressing about what you eat and living a life comes in.

The main theory is, and if you keep this in mind you will think about what you eat:
Your body needs energy. With our normal diet the body uses starches for energy first and store fat for the lean times. We do not consume that much energy so the fat is always stored and rather ever used.
Cut the starches and sugar and now the body is dependent on the fat for energy. That is why your diet must contain fat because that is what your body will need for energy.
BUT if you cheat and eat more fat and keep on eating starches your problem will become twice as big. Either fat or starches, not both.
Fat is a more long lasting energy than starches. (stysel, hoop dis die regte woord).
That is also (according to the theory and it makes sense) why the fat is not bad for your cholesterol because now for the first time you use the fat, it is not stored no more. Again if you cheat and eat sugar and starches while eating an increased fat and meat diet your problem will escalate.

You will see once you cut starches and sugar you cravings will disappear and you will not get hungry that often no more.

I was always craving like mad and to me this is probably the biggest advantaged of the new lifestyle, I eat in the morning and I forget about food until about 3Pm, no more cravings.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Warrior
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Warrior »

Yes - ek stem saam met jou dieet Pieter !
Mens moenie bos gaan nie - alles matig doen
Ek vermy ook meeste winkel verwerkte produkte, verfynde goed, alles wat uit n blikkie kom en presserveermiddels het.

Oefening is ongelukkig wel ook belangrik vir die pompie - tensy jy normaalweg aktief is deur die dag.
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Oefening is ongelukkig wel ook belangrik vir die pompie - tensy jy normaalweg aktief is deur die dag.
Dis eintlik belanrik No 1, daarna kom die res.

Jare gelede toe ek maratonne gehardloop het kon ek eet en drink wat ek wou en ek het maer gebly.
Die oomblik toe ek ophou het my klere begin krimp.

Gaan alles oor jy moet verbrand wat jy inneem en dit wat jy nie verbrand stoor jou liggaam vir die tyd van nood, wat in ons moderne lewe eintlik nooit gebeur nie.
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Warrior
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Warrior »

Basiese reel vir sukses :

Hou die arms en die bene aan die beweeg en die gesiggie uit die kosbak ! :mrgreen:
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Stef »

Agree with most sentiments :thumbup:

Don't believe in diets, banting,non indulgence or starving, defintely not in going to a gym or in Body Mass Index. And I hate Weetbix :lol:

I think the bottom line is that everyone's different, but the basics remain the same, eating right i.e balanced approach with the balance being the variable depending on each individual body's needs.

That balance for me, for example, translates into a big cut on the starches (I suppose a bad convenient supper habit with pastas), big cut on sugars and also less protein intake but more frequently. Quantity based on levels of activity like Pieter said as well.

Yeah I still eat potato chips, chocolates and drink Captain, still eat pasta, but not every night for supper anymore....thus balance. Still eat biltong with the yellow fat, braai chops & steak with braai broodjies, but don't eat a loaf bread every day.

Fortunately I happen to looove bacon so I eat it it for bfast 7 days a week, I can eat it for lunch & supper too because I love it so much, but I don't, again...balance , so different source of proteine there to keep the cholesterol at bay. Again this is what works for me, and those 2 strips of bacon makes me forget about food 'til way after 12h00, that's what my body needs.
Stuart Baak
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Stuart Baak »

Me and swambo both get a meal at work,and since buying the house (transfer not through yet) we like cheap, cheap healthy meals. If that means (like tonight) we are chowing a bowl of all bran flakes (fat free milk) then it saves in pocket too! Free meal at work and about R7 pp to eat tonight. Plus, I get my balanced meal at work, and my fibre at night which leaves my mechanics working just fine :D
Tsa
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: 2010 Toyota Fortuner 4x4

Post by Tsa »

Maybe the pro's in the "banting, or close to it" lifestyle, could share some ideas on what exactly they eat for breakfast, but more importantly lunch and supper?
This is my biggest issue, I can easily eat eggs and bacon/leftover meat for breakfast, but lost on what to eat at work for lunch(pack something) and then dinner..?

Currently (non banting) > I ussually have weetbix(2-3)/meusli(+-80g) with 2% milk for breakfast (8 - 9am) or boiled eggx2 + meat (7 -8am). Lunch is ussually a sandwich (cheese, ham, tomato or whatever at noon. Maybe a banana as a snack at 3pm and then starving by 6pm.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Tsa wrote:Maybe the pro's in the "banting, or close to it" lifestyle, could share some ideas on what exactly they eat for breakfast, but more importantly lunch and supper?
This is my biggest issue, I can easily eat eggs and bacon/leftover meat for breakfast, but lost on what to eat at work for lunch(pack something) and then dinner..?

Currently (non banting) > I ussually have weetbix(2-3)/meusli(+-80g) with 2% milk for breakfast (8 - 9am) or boiled eggx2 + meat (7 -8am). Lunch is ussually a sandwich (cheese, ham, tomato or whatever at noon. Maybe a banana as a snack at 3pm and then starving by 6pm.
some food lists, for the three main meals, also the snacks in between. Maybe even a menu or two ... :beg:

the more I read the different inputs the more I want to find a couple of nice but healthy recipies to replace some of the bad habit recipies .... :subscribed:
Stuart Baak
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Stuart Baak »

Chris, if I have a moment or two at work I'll draw up a couple of basics and some healthy ideas of things we do. I hate spending hours in the kitchen so they are usually very quick to do.
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

Chris .. Dont over analyse this...

Just minimise your intake of bread or starches (carbs) and sugar... and you are 90% there.. thats where I am at at the moment, and although I am not losing weight at a blistering pace, I am not gaining any either... and my vitals are still within normal tolerances..
Thys de Jager

Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Stef »

ThysdJ wrote:Chris .. Dont over analyse this...

Just minimise your intake of bread or starches (carbs) and sugar... and you are 90% there.. thats where I am at at the moment, and although I am not losing weight at a blistering pace, I am not gaining any either... and my vitals are still within normal tolerances..
+1
Pretty much where I am; as soon as I feel like I'm gaining again I go back to Meat & salad only.

Main thing is to find out what your no-no is...e.g. starch & sugar for me.
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

I am just struggling with sugar cravings lately. Sounds like I am pregnant, but I promise you the tests are negative...

This can be quite bad, especially on Mondays after an elevated sugar intake on the weekend. But after a day or so of abstaining the cravings subside.. I have absolutely no problem with carbs.. I don't miss bread, rice, potatoes, pasta etc at all...

I am lucky, working in town close to Food Lover's Market... they have a really nice salad bar.. and I go there to grab a take-away lunch, in stead of a rooti at the shop down the road... :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager

pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Just keep it up for 4 days and you will see it disappears (probably). You stop thinking of sugar, but if you have sugar again one day you back on the craving train.
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

pietpetoors wrote:Just keep it up for 4 days and you will see it disappears (probably). You stop thinking of sugar, but if you have sugar again one day you back on the craving train.
Agreed... I tough it out sometimes, and I give in sometimes... But it is definitely do-able..

I think what makes it worse is the quit smoking thing... I remember from previous quitting attempts that I also used to get sugar cravings then.. for a looong time after I quit..

My attittude now is to rather have the Lunch Bar than a ciggie... as my main priority for the next 6 months will be to shake the smoking habit completely.. but luckily that only happens once in a blue moon...
Thys de Jager

Return to “Open Discussion”