Idler arm broken on 2000 KZ-TE

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
richardm
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2000 KZ-TE 4x4 DC

Idler arm broken on 2000 KZ-TE

Post by richardm »

Hi all
The pin that the idler arm swivels around snapped on my KZ-TE yesterday. I was reversing onto a pavement, heard a clunk, got our and saw the damage.

Now I need a new one and the Toyota part is R3000+ so I'd like opinions on whether I can risk saving a buck and getting a pirate part that will be much much cheaper. Any thoughts?
JohanW
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Strand
Vehicle: 2014 Land Cruiser 76 V8

Re: Idler arm broken on 2000 KZ-TE

Post by JohanW »

http://www.adcomponents.co.za/086.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.adcomponents.co.za/parts.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
richardm
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2000 KZ-TE 4x4 DC

Post by richardm »

Thanks Johan. That looks like a really useful site!

Shaun, of JTS Service centre, ended up getting me an imitation replacement of the whole idler arm for R700 so I went with that. Let's hope this one holds...

Still a niggly mystery as to why this one broke :wth:
WESKUSKLONG
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: St Helena bay
Vehicle: Hilux KZTE with ARB front locker/Safari Snorkel / 33x12.5x15 tyres / Long range tank / Battery system / Thomas compressor/ 2Engel fridge freezers/Cruise Control.

Post by WESKUSKLONG »

4xlux replaced my warn oem idler arm with the pirate one. My lovely wife were on her way to Windhoek from St Helena Bay to fetch me from windhoek airport. Just before the Noordoewer border the new pirate idler broke while driving on tar road. She had to get a new one (toyota) from Springbok on a Sunday. Francois reimburse me for the price of the new one and her accommodation. Thanks again Francois for exceptional service.
Ok the moral of the story is do NOT buy the pirate idler arm it nearly cost my wife and daughter their lives. Its just not worth the risk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WESKUSKLONG
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: St Helena bay
Vehicle: Hilux KZTE with ARB front locker/Safari Snorkel / 33x12.5x15 tyres / Long range tank / Battery system / Thomas compressor/ 2Engel fridge freezers/Cruise Control.

Post by WESKUSKLONG »

From the outside it looks the same but the shaft is +- 14 mm thick on the pirate part . It would be interesting to know what is the size of the oem part.

louis fourie
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 2003 Hilux Raider Facelift D/C 3.0 KZTE
Club VHF Licence: X101

Post by louis fourie »

WESKUSKLONG wrote:From the outside it looks the same but the shaft is +- 14 mm thick on the pirate part . It would be interesting to know what is the size of the oem part.

Pirate's pin is 16mm turned down to 12mm and then welded to arm. Genuine part 16mm right through and then welded to the arm. Mine broke in December with the caravan at the back, offroad, luckily at a very low speed. Pay the R3000 and have peace of mind. I don't know what will happen at high speed.

Sent from my IdeaTab S6000-H using Tapatalk
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 2002 3.0KZ-TE 4x4, Eazyawn RTT, Snorkel, NudgeM Bumper, 38mm Ball Joint Spacers, 35" Maxxis Bighorns, Dastek Unichip, 60 ltr Snomaster fridge/freezer, 40mm body lift, Mikem front/rear with extended shackles, Bilsteins shox rear
Club VHF Licence: X122

Post by Donkey »

Idler arm is R700 at Gemini.
Tumelo Maketekete
Donkey, simple and often misunderstood.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, but we grow old because we stop playing!

2002 - 3.0KZ-TE Toyota Hilux (Letebele)
1994 - 1.6i Gl Toyota Corolla (Platkar)
1990 - Gli TwinCam 16v (ZuluBoy)

ImageImage

Return to “The Workshop”