Saggy bum (SFA)

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Moonunit
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Lumina

Saggy bum (SFA)

Post by Moonunit »

This seems to be a common problem with SFA's, that the rear starts drooping because of the leaf springs.

I have a 1998 SFA LTD which has OME suspension. Bought it with the suspension already on so cant say how old it is. After a little research I have seen people do a "Zuk" mod, basically fitting coil springs between the bump stops at the rear. Anyone tried this, does it work?

Then the other day someone dropped a pamphlet off at my office for Super Springs, which seems to be a helper spring. Was fairly cheap as well. Again, anyone tried these?

I know 4xLux has a mod they do where they add an additional leaf into the suspension, not too sure what the long term results are like here?

Last option would be to replace the springs, but it seems this is somewhat pricey? Any ideas on current costs?

The vehicle is used as a daily drive and carries a load fairly often. I also drive a 4km stretch of so so condition dirt road twice a day.

Any advice or feedback would be appreciated.
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Re: Saggy bum (SFA)

Post by Haboob »

Nicholas,
I had a 1994 2.4P D/C which I fitted with an extra main spring all around. It fits in the original spring pack. I cannot recall if I had to fit longerU-bolts or not. I also had a helper spring called a Load Hog at the back. This worked vewry well and the truck was very comfortable when loaded in excess of a ton for a 3/4 ton truck. Loaded vto this extent you do need to carry an extra set af front and rear wheel bearings with you on your travels. Mine was a holiday/weekend vehicle so was always loaded and ready. Loaded it was very comfortable but I think that it would have been hard if empty...
Hope this helps.
Edge.
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

It's usually the front that sags. With OME you have the option of a light duty or heavy duty spring pack - you'll probably find that you have the light one installed, which can be beefed up by adding a blade. Another option is to reshape the originals using the cold press method - NO HEAT!! ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Moonunit
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Moonunit »

Thanks guys appreciate the responses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '98 LTD
Club VHF Licence: X107

Post by Stef »

Also added an additional leaf to my LTD's OME suspension all round...worked like a charm :thumbup:
Moonunit
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Moonunit »

Spoke to Saayman spring works and they recommend adding an additional leaf. The guy said he had seen this problem on many OME springs/leaf sets. Quoted R7000 to do the whole lot including retensioning the old springs. Don't know if this is a decent price.

Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

Moonunit wrote:Spoke to Saayman spring works and they recommend adding an additional leaf. The guy said he had seen this problem on many OME springs/leaf sets. Quoted R7000 to do the whole lotincluding retensioning the old springs. Don't know if this is a decent price.
Don't go this route .... chances are more than 90% that you'll regret it, and they'll be sagging even worse than now within a year. Speak to Darryl at Mikem or the guys at 4x4Megaworld (OME agents) to add an extra blade .... you'll be paying less and you'll have a better result. ;-)

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
mcw
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: krugersdorp
Vehicle: Prado 90 V6 3.4 Auto
Club VHF Licence: X100

Post by mcw »

Spoke to Saayman spring works and they recommend adding an additional leaf. The guy said he had seen this problem on many OME springs/leaf sets. Quoted R7000 to do the whole lot including retensioning the old springs. Don't know if this is a decent price.

In December 2014 Mikem Suspensions in Joburg added two extra blades to each spring pack on my SFA ,because of the extra weight of a canopy and all the camping equipment ,they only charged R3200.00.R7000.00 seems to me very expensive as the original new packs from Mikem two years ago were only R4000.00.

Go to Mikem you will not be dissapionted

Martin
Bugzy
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Rustenburg
Vehicle: 2015 Hilux S/C 4X4 Dakar1996 2.8D s/c 4x4 Hilux with 3CT Toyota motor
Club VHF Licence: X56

Post by Bugzy »

I agree with the guys, got to Mikem - you won't be disappointed. Darrel's prices AND service is the best :thumbup: :thumbup:
FIRSTGEER
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: King WilliamsTown
Vehicle: 2,5 D4D Singlr Cab 4X4 Full OME suspension. snorkel.GMA aftermarket bullbar.
Club VHF Licence: HC 109

Post by FIRSTGEER »

Howzit Nick.I have owned a few sfa double cabs 4x4's over the years and besides the back drooping on the springs,the load bin appears to hang giving the impression that the chassis is slightly bent.If you stand behind or in front of the 4x4 to the side and look down the running line of the doors,the back end of the load bin appears is if it is sagging.
I have looked at many double cabs and I seem to come to the same conclusion.I installed spacers of about 25 mm above the rear mounts and about 15 mm above the centre mounts on each of my dc hilux's and this worked for me.
Funny enough,even these days, whenever I see a dc hilux parked I seem to look down the lines of the side of the hilux and do the maths.
Pote
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Hartbeespoort
Vehicle: Fortuner D4d 4x4 & VW Passat
Club VHF Licence: X228

Post by Pote »

Mud Dog wrote:
Moonunit wrote:Spoke to Saayman spring works and they recommend adding an additional leaf. The guy said he had seen this problem on many OME springs/leaf sets. Quoted R7000 to do the whole lotincluding retensioning the old springs. Don't know if this is a decent price.
Don't go this route .... chances are more than 90% that you'll regret it, and they'll be sagging even worse than now within a year. Speak to Darryl at Mikem or the guys at 4x4Megaworld (OME agents) to add an extra blade .... you'll be paying less and you'll have a better result. ;-)
I second that.... "retensioning" does NOT work, or last I would have to say.. :thumbdown:
Moonunit
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Moonunit »

Right so where is Mikem based?

4xLux does the same/similar mod, but just adds a leaf with out retensioning the springs. He had a special on the forum somewhere, I remember there being some interesting comments.

It makes sense that the springs would need retensioning otherwise would the new leaf not take the shape of the old pack?

Saayman also replaces all the bushes and fits longer shackles, not sure if the other guys do that?

Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: '98 LTD
Club VHF Licence: X107

Post by Stef »

OME blades are about R450/R500 each, so for R1k you can add one to each pack in the rear. I would not change the shackles unless you're going for greasable ones. I got about 15mm extra lift by adding 1 blade.
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Post by Haboob »

Like Stef says, just by adding an extra blade you will get some lift and have the extra support. I used blades from a scrap yard and they worked wonders for many heavily laden kilometers. Jacks, a hand full of spanners and a four pound hammer did mine on a Saturday Morning on a work bench and a vice. You must surely have friends?
Buy a case of beer and have fun doing it yourself. You will also be learning something. What will you do with a broken blade in the bush, when you don't have the work bench & vice.
Good luck. It is not too big or difficult as a DIY...
The Load Hoggs were even easier to fit. At the time they were about R650 for the set. They just bolt on...
Happy camping...
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Moonunit wrote:Right so where is Mikem based?

4xLux does the same/similar mod, but just adds a leaf with out retensioning the springs. He had a special on the forum somewhere, I remember there being some interesting comments.

It makes sense that the springs would need retensioning otherwise would the new leaf not take the shape of the old pack?

Saayman also replaces all the bushes and fits longer shackles, not sure if the other guys do that?

No, stay away from that, we keep telling you it doesn't work. Re-shaping on the other hand is a different matter, but it has to be done cold, NO HEAT, in a press. You're going to have to add a blade in any event whatever route you follow, so fit the extra blade and see what the results are before doing something that's going to result in a complete replacement of the packs.

LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 1996

Post by LouisZ »

The biggest mistake you will do is to retension the blades. It will only last utmost 4 months if your lucky.

Few pointers. Do the back really sag? Reason did you park it on a level area , measured on the bottom of chassis just behind the front wheel then also on the same line at the rear just before the rear wheel? This will be the right measurement to look at, you see the front will differ +/- 15mm from the back, ie the front part will be lower than the back.

This will prove Firstgear's point that the actual problem could be the loadbin. We had a lot SFA's with this problem and was not the blades. How ever like everyone are saying, add another blade, while you doing it strip the whole leafspring, clean it, grease it, AND MAKE SURE the leaf spring bushes are cleaned and GREASED THE RIGHT WAY. (only USE MS grease, the grey type) Don't grease on the outer diameter of the bust before you push it into the eye of the blades, on the inner diameter and sides of the bush gets grease)

An extra blade cost R460/side.

DONT retension BLADES EVER.
Moonunit
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Moonunit »

Ah ok so no retensioning even if adding another leaf, just add the leaf.

Doing it myself is not the issue, got a complete mechanical engineering workshop, time is the issue.

Thanks for the advice and clearing up the misconceptions I had!

Return to “The Workshop”