An owl in my garden

Discuss anything here as long as it is clean. Having a hard time with your Skoonma, tell us about it here, or discuss the Rugby. Whatever you feel like talking about.
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Strand WC
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 4x4, 2.41t Raider 1998 DC - front & rear difflock, 140lt fuel tank, 31" BFG a/t, snorkel, drawer system, alucab canopy, driver with attitude.
Club VHF Licence: X112

An owl in my garden

Post by GI Jane »

It is really interesting going into my garden early in the morning because I appear to be having an array of feathered visitors. This morning at about 6 am, took my cup of coffee outside to go and sit on a bench in my garden, as I usually do, and found a young Cape Eagle Owl next to my swimming pool. I was worried because it did not fly away as I went outside with my two boxer dogs. They did'nt see the owl, I don't think, because they never went near it. It was perched on top of the pool net that was removed off the pool yesterday so that the pool could be cleaned. I thought it might have been snagged in the pool net, so I ran inside to grab a towel and lock the dogs inside, so that I could help to free it from the net, and as I came right along side it, it flew away. So, not snagged, but also not too afraid either. Maybe it was looking for Duck, that got away.... :mocking: :mocking: :mocking: It is on the roof of a neighbors at the moment, I can hear it hooting. So sweet.....

:shock2: :shock2: :shock2: Nope Andy no photo's, was to worried about rescuing the snagged bird... darn.... priorities, priorities.... would never make a good news or war photographer, would be more worried about sorting the problem out than taking the shot... Will have the camera ready in case I get a chance to snap it again, seeing it appears to be hanging around here...
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Re: An owl in my garden

Post by CasKru »

Seems you need to wear a Gopro or something simular constantly on you.... hehehw
To God be the glory
KOBUSL
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: WOLSELEY
Vehicle: '96 HILUX 2.8 HILUX DC 3i BMW 540 RANCHERO UTE 4 Li

Post by KOBUSL »

Now where is the Like button ? :thumbup:
Word te vinnig oud en te stadig wys.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

OK, you're excused this time .... but only because you thought the bird was in distress, mind. Next time we will expect a full pictorial documentary! :D:

Yeah, they can be quite bold, one that I took pics of allowed me to get within 3m of it, and when it decided to take flight it was just to get a bit higher up into a palm tree next to the cactus it had been perched upon.

Regal creatures. :thumbup:

P.S. - Here's a link to those pics ..... viewtopic.php?f=70&t=20093&p=307588" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Obelix and Dogmatix
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: ROODEPOORT
Vehicle: HILUX 4.0 V6 4x4 named Obelix, donated to some clown, HILUX 4.0 V6 4x4 named Obelix II Onca front and rear Amade extreme Suspension and under water breathing apparatus

Post by Obelix and Dogmatix »

TIME FOR AN OWL BOX I THINK!!!

The latest issue of go magazine's Platteland has two plans in it for owl boxes.

Would love to have a resident owl!!
Rules are there to make you think before you break them!!!
God made man before
woman so as to give him time
to think of an answer
for her first question
COMMON SENCE IS NOT A GIFT, IT IS A PUNISHMENT!! BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO DEAL WITH EVERYONE WHO DOES NOT HAVE IT!!!
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 4x4, 2.41t Raider 1998 DC - front & rear difflock, 140lt fuel tank, 31" BFG a/t, snorkel, drawer system, alucab canopy, driver with attitude.

Post by GI Jane »

:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: I googled owls to make sure I had the right owl species, (because I thought the chest feathers were too dark for the Cape Eagle owl), and kept seeing all about owl boxes. Seems its the latest thing to have. Was thinking about it..... Keep any rodents at bay.

The problem is how do you coax the owl to live in the "owl house", buy rats to feed it? .... I do love owls. People put rattex out for the rats and it endangers the owl. Think I am just going to let nature takes its course...
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by GI Jane »

Just looking at some more sites with owl information. And I'm not sure whether the owl is the spotted or cape eagle owl. It's eyes were bright yellow, and its feathers were quite dark brown/black. It definitely looked like a younger bird, downy type feathers, but it was still quite large. So if there are any owl experts on this site maybe they can help me identify my visitor..
Obelix and Dogmatix
Vehicle: HILUX 4.0 V6 4x4 named Obelix, donated to some clown, HILUX 4.0 V6 4x4 named Obelix II Onca front and rear Amade extreme Suspension and under water breathing apparatus

as Andy almost said where is the photo's :lol: :lol: :lol:
God made man before
to think of an answer
for her first question
COMMON SENCE IS NOT A GIFT, IT IS A PUNISHMENT!! BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO DEAL WITH EVERYONE WHO DOES NOT HAVE IT!!!
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

:lol: :lol:

Compare it to the spotted one in the pics I posted on that link above, Val. :think:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
kfxnando
Town: Germiston
Vehicle: Ford V6 3.4 Courrier soon to be powered by Yamaha!! Jeep GC 4.7 V8, Aygo broken traded for a Kia Picanto.2ex, 2012 Jeep GC 5.7 V8 Ovrrland

Post by kfxnando »

KOBUSL wrote:Now where is the Like button ? :thumbup:
Agree, we need a like button

And time for a gopro

:cooldude: :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://community.webshots.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://s538.photobucket.com/albums/ff343/kfxnando/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by GI Jane »

Mud Dog wrote::lol: :lol:

Compare it to the spotted one in the pics I posted on that link above, Val. :think:
Andy I think the spotted is smaller than the cape eagle, and I think the one I saw will be bigger as an adult... this was definitely a juvenile because the feathers were downy.., bright yellow eyes like the spotted eagle owl, but the feathers were a lot darker, the overall color was more black/ dark brown than the grey of the spotted one..... Maybe we have a new variety..hee,hee... See if I can watch out for it again, and this time have my camera ready.
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

So lucky Aunty Val... I too love owls... going to try one of those owl box things in the garden... lots of big trees.
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by GI Jane »

Wow, Hi Bretton. Great, let me know how the owl box goes. We had a big tree in our garden a few years ago, and we had to cut it down because you could see it from Cape Town (you know what I mean), anyway the neighbours were worried that if the wind blew it down it would take out the entire neighbourhood. So got a tree guy in to cut it down, very sad, but life. Think an owl lived in there, and had to move elsewhere. Maybe its one of its young looking for a new home. ... Have'nt seen you guys in yonks, hugs to you, Kim and the kids...
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Post by Hoppy »

Los nou die uilkies, ons wil NOU braai!
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by GI Jane »

Ons gaan net nou braai.... :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:
Hilux 1
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2011 Raider 4x4 Double cab 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC137

Post by Hilux 1 »

ons gaan nou braai......................met ys ja
Obelix and Dogmatix

Ek sien dit reen nie daar by julle nie !!!!!
God made man before
to think of an answer
for her first question

Return to “Open Discussion”