Slot on bellhousing?

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Baasvark
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Virginia
Vehicle: '97 D/C with all the trimmings & 2011 Troopy

Slot on bellhousing?

Post by Baasvark »

Hi Guys,

I see that on the bottom of the bellhousing there is an opening/slot.(on the front side where it bolts on to the engine)

After searching the net (it's a 5vzfe) I found a few photo's showing the same slot.

Here's my question: Surely it will fill with water if you do a water crossing? Won't your clutch then become wet & lose traction/grip?

What do you guys think?
Aint it ironic that "Common Sense" aint so common after all...
Mars
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Re: Slot on bellhousing?

Post by Mars »

I'm not that worried about it getting wet that much but what about all the mud and grime that can get in there and cause wear on everything including the thrust bearing, clutch lever etc.
ink
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Middelburg MP
Vehicle: 4.5 NISSAN PATROL

Post by ink »

On my lexus to hilux belhousing I have the same, and worried about stones and stuf that can damage the ring gear. I'm in the proses to make an cover plate to cover the gap
Baasvark
Town: Virginia
Vehicle: '97 D/C with all the trimmings & 2011 Troopy

Post by Baasvark »

Ok so there are 3 of us with the same concern.

Where are all the fundi's with the answers? :twisted:
Aint it ironic that "Common Sense" aint so common after all...
The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1994 2.2 4y 4x4 D/C Toyota Hi-Lux
Club VHF Licence: X93-

Post by The Legend »

Surely there should be a reason for that whole/slot.I am going to take a big change - Is it not to pick up gearbox oil leaks at a early stage before it gets on the presure/clutch plate.
“A BAD DAYS FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAYS WORK”

“Do what you do so well, that the people that see you do it, will want to see you do it again,and will bring others to see you do it”
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

A lot of bells have this, some even have a plastic grid insert that goes in there. A bell is not a sealed component, even if the slot were not there, the rubber boot over the fork (if there is one) is really more of a prohibitive measure against dust. However, a clutch plate itself produces a fair amount of fine dust as it wears and perhaps that slot is there to vent some of it and lessen the build up. Consider also that the release bearing is a sealed bearing type, obviously to protect it against water and dust but the clutch dust is fine and I would imagine more likely to penetrate over time than the coarser road dust.

Whether or not this is the reasoning behind the manufacturers / designers to incorporate the slot, I doubt they wouldn't have put it there without good reason.

Dawie also makes a good point. If the rear crank seal starts to weep, it's better for that oil to discharge rather than find it's way onto the clutch plate and of course you would pick up that is leaking a lot sooner.

:think:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

Return to “The Workshop”