d4d 3l loss of power under load

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
Digger
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: nelspruit
Vehicle: d4d d/c

d4d 3l loss of power under load

Post by Digger »

my d4d dble cab loses power under load(steep up hills/light towing etc)2nd gear needed to get up some hills.similar bakkies towing huge boats fly past!!have complained about the problem (toyota services) and have been told all is ok.the vehicle is now due for 90k service,i have an extended service plan on the bakkie ,so i'm obliged to use the agents.any ideas/advice? :?: :cry:
antlo69
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Pretoria North
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 3.0 D-4D, leveling kit, 17" with A/T BFg's, sadly stil some Tupperware, wish list growing by the day

Re: d4d 3l loss of power under load

Post by antlo69 »

Sounds like a dirty diesel filter, the agents don't replace them at service intervals.

I had the same problem a few weeks ago. Had no power and uphillsi was overtaken by corsa bakkies. Checked everything untill out of desperattion changed the fuel filter, problem solved.
"Must be a Toyota, must be a diesel and must run on BFG's"
Digger
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Digger »

ant,i change the fuel filter my self every 10k as the dealers wont,only use 50ppm fuel,do you think it could still be the filter :confused:
AM Racing
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: East London
Vehicle: Range Rover Classic V8

Post by AM Racing »

There are numerous things that could cause the problem. Check or get checked the following:
1. injector leak off checked
2. EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) valve. This should shut off under load and if it sticks open you loose exhaust gas energy through the turbo thereby loosing boost
3. MAF (mass air flow) sensor
4. Diesel particulate filter

The above items usually become defective with bad servicing or high mileage but from what I see you look after your van. Good luck...
ImageImageImage
antlo69
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 3.0 D-4D, leveling kit, 17" with A/T BFg's, sadly stil some Tupperware, wish list growing by the day

Post by antlo69 »

Maybe just check it, I also change my filter frequently and somewhere I filled up at a place that had contaminated diesel, the filter was pitch black and with a lot of dirt in the filter canister. That was just a few weeks after my previous service. So just check it. If its not the filter then I'm clueless.
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

have you checked jacques post
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=31208
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
Digger
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Digger »

bakkie back from service,pulling well :thumbup: ,turned out to be the fuel filter after all(thought that replacing filter every 10000km would have prevented this!)must have put in contaminated fuel somewhere :? is there only one filter on the fuel line or is there another hiden somewhere??
antlo69
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by antlo69 »

I didn't want to but I am going to, told you so!!! ;)

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”