Fuel Starvation

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
STAMPIE
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: '05 4L V6 DC

Fuel Starvation

Post by STAMPIE »

I have the following problem with my 22R.
Going up-hill or driving on the open road at 120 km/h, the engine cuts out, due to a lack of fuel.
If I take my foot of the accelerator immediately, the engine keeps on running (idling). If I then slow down, it gets enough fuel to carry on driving.
Up-hill, I need to gear down, ending up in 1st gear moving very slow and blocking traffic behind me.

I've cleaned the fuel tank
I've replaced the fuel lines from the tank to the engine as well as the return pipes
I've replaced the filter
I've installed an electric fuel pump.
But the problem doesn't go away.

Could this be a carburator problem? If so, what could it be?
Quintin
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Umhlanga
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 2 x Diff lock, 33" MT Tyre, Lexus V8, Winch, Bull Bar and Tow bar.

Re: Fuel Starvation

Post by Quintin »

There could be a few reasons for this, and fuel line that is busy braking up on the inside and the rubber peaces is blocking the fuel flow to the carb, or your needle and seat can have dirt in not keeping the port open but blocking the flow of fuel partially into the carb or your float level is for some unknown reason to low maybe some gunk in the float aria. Some carbs had a small filter just before the inlet nozzle that can be dirty.
Toyota Fortuner 3.0 D 4 D 4X4 A/T (4 play). Hilux DC 4x4, Lexus 4Lt V8, Mikhem suspension met 50mm lift, 50 mm body lift, Bilstein Shocks extra length, 33" tyre, 8 J rims, 2 x Lockers, Snorkel. (Blou Job) en dan n Peugeot 107 (Quickie).
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Some carbs had a small filter just before the inlet nozzle that can be dirty.
I've seen this before. My guess is that this should be the first thing to check.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Your description sounds very much like the float chamber is not filling fast enough .... doesn't sound like a jet problem if the motor performs normally for a while and then starves. Since you have already replaced the lines and filters as well as cleaned the tank, you should as suggested look at any filters on the carb and open the float chamber to check the needle and seat as well as the float level. ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
STAMPIE
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by STAMPIE »

Thanx for the advise.
I think it's time for the EFI.
Quintin
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 2 x Diff lock, 33" MT Tyre, Lexus V8, Winch, Bull Bar and Tow bar.

Post by Quintin »

EFT can work but much cheaper to clean a filter. :)
Toyota Fortuner 3.0 D 4 D 4X4 A/T (4 play). Hilux DC 4x4, Lexus 4Lt V8, Mikhem suspension met 50mm lift, 50 mm body lift, Bilstein Shocks extra length, 33" tyre, 8 J rims, 2 x Lockers, Snorkel. (Blou Job) en dan n Peugeot 107 (Quickie).
STAMPIE
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by STAMPIE »

Quinten
It's booked for Monday for an EFI transplant.
Will keep you informed.
Rooies
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Strand
Vehicle: 1994 2.4i (22RE) D/C Raider 4X4

Post by Rooies »

Jy moet definitief na jou float kyk, miskien is hy nie reg gestel nie of hy haak dalk vas. Kry somer vir jou n hele carb kit hulle is nie duur nie daar is n nuwe needle & seed in.
ROOIES: 1994 2.4i (22RE) Raider D/C - 200 000kms - Brospeed Branch & Powerflow Exhaust
MIKEM Suspension & Gabriel Safari Shocks - "31 BF Goodrich AT - GOMAD Aluminium Canopy
Melvill & Moon Seat Covers - Safari Snorkel - Bushwakka Weekender Offroad Trailer

Quintin
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Quintin »

Pleas keep us informed i think you are going to love the conversion more power and less fuel if you behave off coarse. Sommer give us some nice picks as well.

Return to “The Workshop”