Hilux Vigo and Fortuner theft issues

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
SuidWes
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: Prado 120 VX
Club VHF Licence: B35

Hilux Vigo and Fortuner theft issues

Post by SuidWes »

Need some advice please. I’m thinking of buying a D4D Fortuner, but…

How serious is the theft issue on the Hilux Vigo and Fortuners? As per my other post, I know a of number that have been stolen in Gauteng and 2 colleagues have been hijacked :o:

Is it purely a case of scale, iow much more out there and therefore more gets stolen? Or is there a market for these specific vehicles :?:
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away - George Carlin
Hannes Meyer
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Aranos Namibia
Vehicle: Hilux V6 4.L d/c 4x4 Automatic 2014 , Land Cruiser pick-up 2012, L/Cruiser Pick up 2023

Re: Hilux Vigo and Fortuner theft issues

Post by Hannes Meyer »

:shock2:
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Definitely a demand and in many cases, orders for, or an order for an individual vehicle. A "buyer" approaches one of these car-theft syndicates and requests a certain type / model of vehicle ... often the colour is also specified. Even more alarming is that if a "buyer" spots your vehicle and wants it, he simply notes the registration and passes that on to the thieves who get your details of the e-natis system with insider help. From there it's just a matter of time. They will watch you and wait for an opportunity ..... when the vehicle is parked and unattended at home in the driveway or at a shopping mall, whatever. All they need is a 3 minute window, sometimes even less. It takes you a lot longer to pop into your local grocer for a single item than it takes them to 'lift' your vehicle. :(
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Gemsbok
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0 V6 DC 4x4 AT
Club VHF Licence: HC186

Post by Gemsbok »

Scarey...............really scarey! :shock2:
Hannes Meyer
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Vehicle: Hilux V6 4.L d/c 4x4 Automatic 2014 , Land Cruiser pick-up 2012, L/Cruiser Pick up 2023

Post by Hannes Meyer »

I myself is in the marked looking for a new Toyota. Now I wonder my be I go look to the Tata or Mahindra. The price also look good.
Nobit
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: Hilux Legend 40, 3.0D4D 4x4 Auto

Post by Nobit »

I believe it's a numbers/scale thing. I think all cars get stolen...and there is a very small difference in % between different cars being stolen.
According to the Double cab shoot out article in the March Drive Out magazine in November 2011 the official NAAMSA figures say the following vehicles were sold in one month.
Hilux - 4335
Isuzu - 1099
Amarok - 555
Navara - 199
Triton - 67

According to these numbers....if we take a hypothetical number and say that 5% of new cars are stolen/ hijacked, that means that approx 216 Hilux's will get stolen in a month and about 3 Tritons.

That's why I believe it's just a numbers game.... I think more Hilux's and Fortunes DO get stolen than any other vehicle.
But percentage wise it's no more than any other vehicle....
If we could get ahold of official figures, I'd bet that some vehicles, % wise of new vehicles are stolen/hijacked more than Hilux's.

In MHO ofcoarse.....
Hannes Meyer
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Hannes Meyer »

:beach: Robert, now you make my night. I go sleep and buy my Toyota and know the day wen I want to sell it I will get someone.
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Jaco, hierdie is beslis 'n probleem veral by skole, malls en sport byeenkomste. Baie van die voertuie gaan oor die grens en ander is bestellings lokaal. Ek weet van 'n paar hi-jackings maar nie so algemeen nie.

Ons is wel baie versigtig waar ons ons voertuie parkeer en bewus van die feit wat aangaan maar soos hierbo genoem dit is 'n numbers game. 'n Vriend van is onlangs gevat vir sy ML, beslis 'n bestelling!

Gaan lees op my thread 'hilux theft' vie meer inligting.

viewtopic.php?f=95&t=7518&hilit=hilux+theft" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sterkte met jou besluit :wink2:
Hannes Meyer
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Hannes Meyer »

Nou wonder ek wat sal die verandering op die nuwe d/cabs wees wn of hul die draad by die spieel flikker ook sal verander en dalk 'n sterker plaat vir die bonnet gebruik

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”