Toyota loses its top spot

Discuss anything here as long as it is clean. Having a hard time with your Skoonma, tell us about it here, or discuss the Rugby. Whatever you feel like talking about.
MaPaZa
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: White River
Vehicle: Hilux Raider v6 4.0 ; SYNCRO 2l

Post by MaPaZa »

DAN MILMO Oct 28 2011 00:00
SOURCE: http://mg.co.za/article/2011-10-28-toyo ... -top-spot/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

After nearly a decade of dominance by a Japanese-American duopoly, the global car market is braced for a German takeover amid predictions that Volkswagen will be the biggest- selling manufacturer this year.

Toyota will be knocked off the top spot by its German rival and pushed into third place by General Motors, according to the PricewaterhouseCoopers Autofacts consultancy. Estimates by industry forecasters IHS Automotive and JD Power also show Toyota slipping, which indicate that the owner of the Skoda, Bentley and Audi brands will soon end the Japanese giant's three-year reign.

PwC Autofacts' latest estimate is that Toyota will suffer a sharp reduction in output in the wake of the earthquake and tsunami on March 11, making 7.8-million vehicles (cars and light vans) in 2011 compared with a market-leading 8.4-million last year.

Volkswagen will add more than 1.2-million vehicles to last year's total, claiming top spot over General Motors with an output of 8.6-million. General Motors will come second with 8.1-million vehicles.

Calum MacRae, leader of PwC Autofacts, said all Japanese carmakers were suffering the consequences of a natural disaster that knocked out key elements of the industry's supply chain. "If you look at the industry generally in Japan and North America, the effect on Japanese players of the tsunami and earthquake was that we expected them to make 850 000 fewer vehicles this year."

MacRae said that the Japanese players' United States operations appeared to have been severely affected, producing 200 000 fewer vehicles in a market where it was expected to increase its output by 1.2-million in 2011. Volkswagen's ascendancy to the title of world's largest car-maker would see it achieve a key target seven years ahead of schedule.

Martin Winkerhorn, Volkswagen's chief executive, pledged in 2008 to overtake Toyota and become the world leader by 2018. Volkswagen has said it would consider entering Formula One in 2018, probably under the name of one of its premium marques such as Porsche, Audi or Lamborghini.

Toyota is scrutinising the lower reaches of its supply chain after being caught out by the hobbling of fourth- or fifth-tier suppliers because of the earthquake. One key supplier of microcontrollers -- the silicon chips that moderate driving, steering and braking -- caused severe disruption across the industry after the quake damaged its main factory.

Natural disasters continue to trouble Japanese manufacturers as severe floods in Thailand wreak havoc with ¬businesses that have moved production facilities there to mitigate the effect of the strong yen. Japanese car-makers are making about 6 000 fewer vehicles a day in Thailand and Toyota has cancelled overtime at some of its ¬domestic ¬factories owing to a shortage of Thai-made parts.

Meanwhile, Nissan, Toyota's Japanese rival, has also set an ambitious market-leading target after announcing plans to become the world's largest maker of green cars, selling 1.5-million zero-emission vehicles by 2017 with partner Renault. -- © Guardian News
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Meyerton
Vehicle: Prado 120 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC126

Re: Toyota loses its top spot

Post by JohanM »

Looking at this I cannot but laugh!!!! VW wants to be world wide no1 Producer of vehicles. Lookign at the trend and not knocking any brand here, but all no 1 suffered serious quality control issues at some stage which has led to recalls (some public announced and other was not publically announced).

Im already dissapointed with the build quality and reliability and sevice regarding most of the VW products. With them entering the No1 spot im wondering if the old saying of Wats volgende is gonna be true due too having to produce most at a rapid rate which will certainly bring build quality down.

I haven't seen one mass production manufacturer of vehicle's not suffering at some stage quality control issues due to pushing volume.

If you look at the figures I take my Hat of to Toyota for still producing such an high number of vehicles despite natural disasters that struck at Japan and also Thailand.
MaPaZa wrote:Meanwhile, Nissan, Toyota's Japanese rival, has also set an ambitious market-leading target after announcing plans to become the world's largest maker of green cars, selling 1.5-million zero-emission vehicles by 2017 with partner Renault. -- © Guardian News

Now with current service levels and reliability of these products and especially with Renault still batteling to get the "damaged" brand name fixed in the public eye im not so sure i'll want to own one of these. Ill rather drive a Prius then. Also with these two manufacturers in cahoots with each other its my view that the french bought the Japanese in order to try and get their products more reliable as the new French models is seriously suffering in our country due to different designs.

but this is just my 2cw...
Johan Marais
oxydog
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '98 Hilux SFA 2.8D 4X4 D/C, '06 Hilux 4.0 V6 4X4 D/C
Club VHF Licence: J67

Post by oxydog »

Doesn't change my mind in any way whatsoever. PriceWaterhouse ShmiceShmawterhouse. We drive them.
Bees (Toy)
'98 Hilux 2.8D 4X4 D/Cab

• ARB Bullbar
• Safari Snorkel
• GearMax Rear Locker
• Dragon 29 MHz with 2.6m whip
• Front Runner bakkie slide
• 31" BFG KM2's

Hings (Everyday use and long distance travel)
'06 Hilux 4.0 V6 4X4 D/Cab

• Level-it kit (Front)
• Custom integrated bullbar
• Custom replacement bumper
• Midas driving lights
• Front Runner bakkie slide
• National Luna 80l fridge/freezer
• National Luna Dual Battery System
• LA Sport 70l long range tank
• 2x40W Solar panels with PWM controller
• 31" BFG KM3's
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

JohanM wrote: Ill rather drive a Prius then.
Honestly Johan, I would rather walk... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Rebel 4x4
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2020 Toyota Fortuner GD-6 4x4 Auto

Post by Rebel 4x4 »

JohanM wrote:Looking at this I cannot but laugh!!!! VW wants to be world wide no1 Producer of vehicles. Lookign at the trend and not knocking any brand here, but all no 1 suffered serious quality control issues at some stage which has led to recalls (some public announced and other was not publically announced).

Im already dissapointed with the build quality and reliability and sevice regarding most of the VW products. With them entering the No1 spot im wondering if the old saying of Wats volgende is gonna be true due too having to produce most at a rapid rate which will certainly bring build quality down.

I haven't seen one mass production manufacturer of vehicle's not suffering at some stage quality control issues due to pushing volume.

If you look at the figures I take my Hat of to Toyota for still producing such an high number of vehicles despite natural disasters that struck at Japan and also Thailand.
MaPaZa wrote:Meanwhile, Nissan, Toyota's Japanese rival, has also set an ambitious market-leading target after announcing plans to become the world's largest maker of green cars, selling 1.5-million zero-emission vehicles by 2017 with partner Renault. -- © Guardian News

Now with current service levels and reliability of these products and especially with Renault still batteling to get the "damaged" brand name fixed in the public eye im not so sure i'll want to own one of these. Ill rather drive a Prius then. Also with these two manufacturers in cahoots with each other its my view that the french bought the Japanese in order to try and get their products more reliable as the new French models is seriously suffering in our country due to different designs.

but this is just my 2cw...
Ek wil nie jou intergiteit knock nie, maar Toyota en Lexus was betrokke in een van die grootste hofsake ook voertuie wat vanself spoed optel en ander gremlins soos Yaris'se wat ontplof in 'n klein botsing weens 'n sponsie afvere wat in die seatbelt mechanism is... In 2008 was dit uiteindelik ge-recall... Elke "brand" het sy lemons. Die kwaliteit en reliability van VW se voertuie is wereld wyd bekend.

Soos almal se... My 2cw
Sent from my iPhone
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

Hopefully just enough off a shake up that Toyota will have to take note of their customers again ......
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

Toyota has been riding the wave of "reliability" for a long time now. Unfortunately the other brands also caught up, and became equally reliable, if not more. Further Toyota slipped up a little bit here and there, especially with aftersales and customer service. Yes the tragic consequences of the natural disasters in Japan had an influence, but I somehow dont think that falling from top spot to Nr3 is as a result of that alone. :confused: :confused:

I sincerely hope they wake up and smell the coffee... roses or whatever the hell it is the people at Toyota likes to smell... :think: :think: :think:
Thys de Jager

kfxnando
Town: Germiston
Vehicle: Ford V6 3.4 Courrier soon to be powered by Yamaha!! Jeep GC 4.7 V8, Aygo broken traded for a Kia Picanto.2ex, 2012 Jeep GC 5.7 V8 Ovrrland

Post by kfxnando »

ThysdJ wrote:Toyota has been riding the wave of "reliability" for a long time now. Unfortunately the other brands also caught up, and became equally reliable, if not more. Further Toyota slipped up a little bit here and there, especially with aftersales and customer service. Yes the tragic consequences of the natural disasters in Japan had an influence, but I somehow dont think that falling from top spot to Nr3 is as a result of that alone. :confused: :confused:

I sincerely hope they wake up and smell the coffee... roses or whatever the hell it is the people at Toyota likes to smell... :think: :think: :think:
agree 100%, and have said it before, Toyota has been riding the wave of past perception

then, vw, can be the biggest, however certain things they can not take away from Toyota, the legendary land cruisercruiser and the older hiluxes
:beach:
http://www.youtube.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://community.webshots.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://s538.photobucket.com/albums/ff343/kfxnando/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Borntofish
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: Hilux 86

Post by Borntofish »

Sjoeek is verbaas om te sien dat GM nog op die lys is. Danksy die amerikaanse belastingbetaler se bailout sal ek nie baie oor hulle se nie. Met betrekking tot VW hulle kwaliteit is nog steeds lacking. Ek glo veral met die Amarok. Daar is n groep wat hulle gebruik by VW. Hulle het terug gegaan na die Toureg toe want die interior ratttle uitmekaar uit. My bakkie is 26 jaar oud en hy rattle nie. My vorige Toy wat ek in die verlede besit het het 280 000km gedoen en ook nie gerattle nie. My polo het begin ratlle op 60 en bubbles begin maak op van die bekleedsel en veral die deure. So al is Toyota 10de op die lys sal ek hulle bly ry!
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

Borntofish wrote:Sjoeek is verbaas om te sien dat GM nog op die lys is. Danksy die amerikaanse belastingbetaler se bailout sal ek nie baie oor hulle se nie. Met betrekking tot VW hulle kwaliteit is nog steeds lacking. Ek glo veral met die Amarok. Daar is n groep wat hulle gebruik by VW. Hulle het terug gegaan na die Toureg toe want die interior ratttle uitmekaar uit. My bakkie is 26 jaar oud en hy rattle nie. My vorige Toy wat ek in die verlede besit het het 280 000km gedoen en ook nie gerattle nie. My polo het begin ratlle op 60 en bubbles begin maak op van die bekleedsel en veral die deure. So al is Toyota 10de op die lys sal ek hulle bly ry!
Die verskil is jou Hilux is 26 jaar oud... en was nog van die wat stewig gebou was. Nuwer Toyotas, van soortgelyke jaartal as jou Polo rattle maar net so lekker saam... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager

Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Post by Hoppy »

Dis official, dit was netnou op ignition, VW is Toyota in SA ook ver verby
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
swartvark
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Gordons Bay
Vehicle: SFA HiLEX V8; Suzuki GSF1200s Bandit

Post by swartvark »

Hoppy wrote:Dis official, dit was netnou op ignition, VW is Toyota in SA ook ver verby
:whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:
MUD........GLORIOUS MUD!!!!!

Your friendly VW salesperson......(with a passion for SFA Hiluxes)

NEED A CAR?
talk2tiaan@gmail.com

Return to “Open Discussion”