Towing I am CLUELESS

Discuss anything here as long as it is clean. Having a hard time with your Skoonma, tell us about it here, or discuss the Rugby. Whatever you feel like talking about.
ndekock01
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Oudtshoorn
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D D/C 4x4 Legend 40

Towing I am CLUELESS

Post by ndekock01 »

I have taken the plunge and bought a very nice 2007 Jurgens Palma. I have managed to tow it back to Oudtshoorn from George in thick fog, wind and rain with my new Legend 40 3.0 D4D. I need a lot of advice though!!

1. Do I need a drop-plate? I have the standard Toyota Care tow-bar.
2. Do I need a stabiliser and which one is the best?
3. In what gear do you guys tow? Do you use 5th gear?
4. What should the tyre preassures be on the bakkie and the caravan?
5. Do I need the extended mirrors?
6. What else do I need to know in order to tow safely?

Your help will be much appreciated!!!
tersmit
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Durbanville Cape Town
Vehicle: '06 Hilux 4x4 4.0 Auto D/C, 185a/h Dual Battery Sistem, 1500w inverter

Re: Towing I am CLUELESS

Post by tersmit »

Hi Nico
Voorspoed met die nuwe jaar.
Ek sleep 'n 2010 Sprite Swing, en 'n 6 gat drop plate is 'n moet. Ek sleep met my agter bande redelik hard, min 2.5bar.
Ek het nog nie nodig gehad vir 'n stabalizer nie, maar dit is nie 'n slegte idee nie, en ek kan dit aanbeveel.

Die rule of thumb is maar om in 4de rat te tow, dan is jou rat verhouding 1:1 en daar is nie onnodige "strain" op die ratkas nie.
Extended mirrors werk baie goed, anners is die baie moeilik om agter die karavaan te sien.

Hou jou spoed onder 110km/h.
Hou jou gewig op die towbar so na as moontlik aan 70kg.
Te veel gewig op die trekstang maak dat you voertuig te lig stuur, en kan onstabiliteit veroorsaak.

Ek hoop dit help

Tertius
ndekock01
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by ndekock01 »

Dankie Tertius!! Ek sal maar die drop plate laat opsit. Van wat ek verneem is die stabilizer 'n goeie idee as jy 'n Palma sleep omdat hy so lank is. Ek sal ook maar die badkamer skaal inspan!!
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

Nog 'n goeie idee is om die sleep voertuig so swaar moontlik te laai (die minste moontlikke goed in die karavaan). Okk is dit 'n goeie idee om die swaar items in die karavaan so na as moontlik aan die as te he. Bande wil jy so styf montlike he. Wanneer jy die drop plate op het, moet die karavaan level staan as hy gehaak is. Dit is nie nodig vir 'n stabalizer bar nie maar ek sal dit hoogs aan beveel as jy nie sleep gewoond is nie en even as jy al baie jare sleep maak dit 'n groot verskil.

As die karavaan begin swing terwyl jy sleep moet jou nooit hard op die brieke klim nie. Jy kan 'n vinnige jab aksie op die briek gee wat sal veroorsaak dat die karavaan se brieke inskop en hom weer in lyn trek. As jy dit nie met 'n vinnige jab aksie doen nie kan jy die swing aksie vererger. Hoe swaarder 'n karavaan agter gelaai word (anderkant van die as) hoe meer geneig is hy om te wil begin swing. m2cw
To God be the glory
ndekock01
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by ndekock01 »

Cassie ek hoop nie die swing storie gebeur gereeld nie!! Ek mag dalk net my Lux se sitplek so bietjie donkerder maak!!
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

ndekock01 wrote:Cassie ek hoop nie die swing storie gebeur gereeld nie!! Ek mag dalk net my Lux se sitplek so bietjie donkerder maak!!
Ja nee kyk as dit gebeur dan verniel jy jou kleure van die binnekant af. Behalwe vir dit sal daar dalk herfs-skakerings van kleure en geure ook beskikbaar wees. Stel dit so, as jou wa reg gelaai is en level hardloop behoort hy baie selde te wil swaai. Dit is wanneer jou gewigs verspreiding verkeerd is dat hy neig na swaai. Om jou 'n idee te gee. As jou karavaan perfek gelaai is moet daar so 70kg op jou towball wees. Maar as die towbal te hoog is en die karavaan in 'n neusop posisie staan dan veroorsaak dit 'n middelpunt van gewig veskywing wat tot gevolg het dat meer gewig na agter die as skyf wat dan veroorsaak dat hy makliker wil swaai
To God be the glory
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

In additon to the advice above...
ndekock01 wrote:I have taken the plunge and bought a very nice 2007 Jurgens Palma. I have managed to tow it back to Oudtshoorn from George in thick fog, wind and rain with my new Legend 40 3.0 D4D. I need a lot of advice though!!

1. Do I need a drop-plate? I have the standard Toyota Care tow-bar.
Most likely. The caravan must tow nose down.

2. Do I need a stabiliser and which one is the best?
It helps. I have always had great success (& stability) with a Trapezium.

3. In what gear do you guys tow? Do you use 5th gear?
Keep your revs as close to the point where max torque is available. Do not labour the engine at all and do not tow in 5th.

4. What should the tyre preassures be on the bakkie and the caravan?
Bakkie depends on the load you're carrying, but 2.4 - 2.5 should suffice for tar roads, lower for gravel roads and adjust speed accordingly. Caravan tyre pressure is usually shown on a sticker over the tyres, I do not know what size tyres the Palma has. Probably the same pressure as the bakkie.

5. Do I need the extended mirrors?
If your field of vision is good with the standard large mirrors, you should be fine. The extended mirrors are a nuisance at speed.

6. What else do I need to know in order to tow safely?
Practise towing on various road surfaces and conditions. Take care when overtaking, I preferred overtaking when on an incline rather than a descent, less chance of fish-tailing with the 'van in tow. Slow down when large trucks etc approach you from the front, there is sometimes a nasty whiplash to one or other side if there is a cross wind blowing. Do not speed, you should never be in a hurry when towing a 'van. Stop every now & then and check tow-hitch. wheels/tyres etc. Ensure that any rooftop vents on the 'van are properly closed before travelling. Do not tow with a gas fridge running and ensure that the gas valve is firmly shut.

Your help will be much appreciated!!!

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

kfxnando
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Germiston
Vehicle: Ford V6 3.4 Courrier soon to be powered by Yamaha!! Jeep GC 4.7 V8, Aygo broken traded for a Kia Picanto.2ex, 2012 Jeep GC 5.7 V8 Ovrrland

Post by kfxnando »

need to add a few things and have learned almost the hard way!

1st!!
towing speed!!
towing 20km/h below the speed limit is a safe way to tow!!
its not only about the stopping distance, as caravans have breaks, however its about maneuverability!!
if one needs to take evasive action then the lower the speed the better!!

then as for the weight on the tow hitch!!
yes the recommendations is around 70kg, however have seen other specs and numbers, have seen specks of up to 130kg!!
my 1st caravan tow, was towing a caravan loaded with equipment, only way for me to make it to the even was to tow and get paid for towing the caravan!!
self also insisted on the 70kg, and when I got on the highway, the rig started to fish tale!! yep nearly #$%@%$@ in my pants!!
as I was inexperienced, looked for all kinds of faults!!
needed to tow he van all the way to Durban and could not see myself doing 70km/h all the way!!
spoke to one of the guys that was also going down to Durban and he said load the front, was very skeptical!!
loaded the front and no more issues!! all the way to 120km/h!!

if it starts to fish tail ease off the fuel slowly, and do NOT touch the brakes!!

rather go heavy on the nose then light!! self have never had an issue steering!!
just take it easy and dont be a cowboy!!

good luck!! :beach: :beach:
http://www.youtube.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://community.webshots.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://s538.photobucket.com/albums/ff343/kfxnando/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

One thing I omitted to mention - do not pack heavy items in the rear of the caravan. Always pack them between the axle and front of the caravan and as low as possible, which will assist in stability of the rig. Heavy items packed in the rear of the van will induce fish-tailing.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

ndekock01
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by ndekock01 »

Thanks for all the advice. I have ordered the drop-plate from Toyota yesterday and they will fit it today. I will also go for the stabilizer. I am looking forward to our first Hartenbos camp. Can't wait!!!!
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

Ek wou nog iets by las maar die manne het alles gecover :thumbup:
BTW ek is ook van oudtshoorn en ons het ook altyd op Hartenbos gekamp
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
tersmit
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Durbanville Cape Town
Vehicle: '06 Hilux 4x4 4.0 Auto D/C, 185a/h Dual Battery Sistem, 1500w inverter

Post by tersmit »

Hey Nico
Wanner gaan jy Hartenbos toe ?

Return to “Open Discussion”