Help needed with dust into loading bin

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
Jaco
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Somerset-West
Vehicle: 2.2P Hilux DC 4x4

Help needed with dust into loading bin

Post by Jaco »

Hi there,
I have a KZTE D/C and would like some advice please. I need to make the lid of the loading bin more "dust proof". With the canopy on, it seems most of the dust entres at the vertical space between the tail lights and the lid (agterklap). There is a huge gap visible.

Any comments?
Regards
Harold
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Howick
Vehicle: 1998 Hi-lux 2,4 S/cab (p); 1997 Hi-lux 2,4 D/cab (p)

Re: Help needed with dust into loading bin

Post by Harold »

Have you got a bin liner, or painted with stone chip, or not?
Harold (Greytown, KZN)
http://www.alib.co.za/hilux.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Chris, also keep your canopy window open about 2 inches, this helps so that no negative pressure builds up in the canopy :thumbup:

I use the spongy single sided stuff they sell at Midas between the load-bin and body.
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

Jaco wrote:Hi there,
I have a KZTE D/C and would like some advice please. I need to make the lid of the loading bin more "dust proof". With the canopy on, it seems most of the dust entres at the vertical space between the tail lights and the lid (agterklap). There is a huge gap visible.

Any comments?
Regards
Create positive presure inside the loadbin by adding a vent to the front of the canopy. You can use some door rubbers (double sided tape on the one side) to close the gab but you will never keep the dust out if you do not create a positive pressure inside
To God be the glory
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Jaco, the guys are quite correct about the 'positive pressure' story .... you can also achieve this fairly easily if you have a 'cab-slider' window ... just leave it open by 2 cm and you will see the difference. :wink:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
swartvark
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Gordons Bay
Vehicle: SFA HiLEX V8; Suzuki GSF1200s Bandit

Post by swartvark »

Jip....daai oop cab slider storie is omtrent al wat werk.
MUD........GLORIOUS MUD!!!!!

Your friendly VW salesperson......(with a passion for SFA Hiluxes)

NEED A CAR?
talk2tiaan@gmail.com
truckin
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: 2006 2.7VVTI Hilux SRX Single Cab 4x4

Post by truckin »

Ja die venster oop hou is die beste manier,

:lol: ek het dit jare terug op die harde manier geleer, ek het destyds een van daai voldeur canopies op gehad, en toe met silicone geseel vir die stof :lol:
“The shinbone is a device for finding furniture in a dark room.”

“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather, who died peacefully in his sleep. - Not screaming like all the passengers in his car -
DougN

Post by DougN »

I see a lot of guys are riviting an Alu strip on the bottom of the tailgate and just inside the load bay with a section of leatherette between them and then another alu strip with a little high density foam on both of the verticle edges of the load bay.

Stops all the dust, will be doing it to my ranger shortly.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

That will certainly help a lot, and the best option if you have only a tonneau cover, but it's still not a total dust seal. If you do this with a canopy fitted, you will have to make a plan with the canopy door as well, but I think you're still going to have to open the cab slider if you have one. :think: :wink:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Jaco
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Somerset-West
Vehicle: 2.2P Hilux DC 4x4

Post by Jaco »

Thanks for all the valuable replies!
The canopy is in today to have a sliding window fitted for "other reasons', so I will now have the option to open this sliding window. (That rubber seal is not doiing it for me - leaking + noise + most of all, the scuffing of paitwork.)

I don't have much time to teset it though - leaving Friday. What distance do you think is enough to create this positive pressure?
Regards
koeka
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Phalaborwa
Vehicle: Toyota hilux D/C 3.0 D4D 4x4

Post by koeka »

Jaco

Use the stuff Oooms was talking about it worked for me (spongy stuff in a roll at Midas) Or otherwise if you are not going to access your loading bin very often, use duct tape and close it properly I know it doesn't look good but it keeps the dust out :D: .
Hope you get something that works and please tell us what you did.
Koeka
Ek stoot eerder my Toyota!! voordat ek n Land Rover ry!!

ImageImageImageImage
Buffalo Soldier
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Al Ain
Vehicle: Nissan Pathfinder

Post by Buffalo Soldier »

[*]I had to re-do the rubberising on my Lux. But, before it was done, I riveted (NOT POP RIVETS) a 25mm piece of flatbar to the sides of the loadbin, making the opening a weeb it smaller. I then took it to Rhino linings and explained how to do the rubberising for me. From the corrugation section in the loadbin, make it gradually thicker. This will minimise the opening when the tailgate is closed. Then (and here they slipped up a bit), cover the loadbin (already rubberised and set) with very thin plastik. Close the tailgate and then rubberise that. This will make it dust proof. I do have some small openings in the corner now, but, very little dust comes in. I have done a lot of gravel road travelling in Kgalagadi and Namibia in Dec, and I could hardly see the dust.

But, being expensive to do this, I would suggest only to this when it is due to renew the rubber in the loadbin, like I did. The rubber on my loadbin was very much damaged by the previous owner.

Hope this will help.
Attachments
Nr3.JPG
Nr2.JPG
Nr2.JPG (67.21 KiB) Viewed 3777 times
Nr1.JPG
Nr1.JPG (88.47 KiB) Viewed 3777 times
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

The moment you start driving the pressure builds up. It works! :thumbup:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

On the sides I used the same rubber which we used for the canopy doors.
I've attached that to the sides inside the loading bin.
Agterklap
Agterklap
At the bottom I used that normal soft rubber strips which you buy in rolls at Midas. I think I used the 20mm wide x 15 mm thick one. Was too long ago, cannot really remember.

I stuck it on the tail gate, at the bottom. See pictures below. If you look at the 2nd picture, it shows the rubber at A on the tail gate and then it also shows at point B the clean area on the load bin side where the rubber pushes which shows that the rubber is in fact sealing between the load bin and tail gate.

The only place where I now have an opening is at the very top of the side rubber where the canopy, side and tail gate get together. When I go on long trips I just stick some more soft rubber on the tail gate in that area and remove it again when I get home.

Hope this helps.
Agterklap 2
Agterklap 2
Agterkalp3
Agterkalp3
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”