Safari Tyres

Discuss anything here as long as it is clean. Having a hard time with your Skoonma, tell us about it here, or discuss the Rugby. Whatever you feel like talking about.
Traveler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Springs
Vehicle: Pathfinder 2.5 LE AT
Club VHF Licence: X81

Safari Tyres

Post by Traveler »

I know there has been plenty discussions on Pitbull Tyres by Safari Tyres.

However sitting in traffic for some time each day I have plenty time looking at tyres and have noticed a huge amount of the construction bakkies fitted with these: http://www.safarityres.co.za/commercialtyres.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Bronco, a bit less aggressive tyre, those vehicles spent plenty time on all surfaces, tar and in gravel and construction sites and they tend to put up plenty kilo's.

Cannot be that bad, I know the jackal hunters do rate them as tough. What you'd think of these as a dedicated tyre for 4x4 us. Or if it makes more sense, "om mee te speel".

Know what you don't know.
michael01
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Gauteng
Vehicle: 1995 Hilux

Re: Safari Tyres

Post by michael01 »

you know they look like very good tires perfect for us in the 4x4 market.

but when i see the word remoulded i just can get away from the fact that it could let you down, i keep thinking of all those bits of tires we see lying on the highways everyday.

hay maybe i'm wrong but it just worries me thats all, and it might be a good saving but at the end of the when it comes to your family what price are you ready to spend?

just my 2cw
ImageImageImageImage
GeorgeJvR
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Louis Trichardt
Vehicle: 2008 Prado 4.0 V6, 1989 SFA S/C 2.2 1998 SFA LTD 22RE

Post by GeorgeJvR »

Good tyres for a farm vehicle or a "pipe car"
Speak to Gompie also on the forum
To Buy and sell a vehicle is my hobby
Make a deal that no one else thought possible is my aim

Kom wat wil ek bly 'n Bul!
Sifu-Lux
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Mount Vernon Illinois
Vehicle: GMC Sierra SLT Z71 (Used to drive a '91 SFA Hilux YN67R 4x4 ,Full OME, ARB lockers front and rear, Ford 3L V6, 35mm axle move, 33" General Grabber X3's and dual transfer cases....... Keep her safe Mud Dog!

Post by Sifu-Lux »

The big question you have to ask with remoulded tyres, is : What tyre casing was actually used for the remould (brand, internal construction (steel breaker type, fabric cord type and number of ply's etc), and what was it's condition?

All these things you cannot see after the remould !

I would not put my life on the line thanks. For road use I rate these up with cardboard brake pads and vice grip steering wheels.

For low speed dedicated use off road, then they could be OK. The other thing you need to take into account is the rubber compounds used in the remoulding process, and there ability to maintain good adhesion to the donor casing, and resist cracking,de-lamination etc under conditions of high flex in the sidewall region (i.e low pressure driving 0.8 - 1.2 bar)

Also, dynamic balancing of these tyes is a problem I've heard from a few guys who fitted then. Nice vibrations over 80 km/h.

My 2 cw
Sifu-Lux....I will miss you
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

Hein,

The tyre that you link take us to, looks very much like the Firestone CV2000. Yes, the CV2000 gives excellent kilo's and is very highly regarded in the fleet industry.

However AFAIK it is only available in 14 inchers.

I think you see the CV2000 and think it is the remoulds. Their Pitbull look very much like the old BF mud and the Bronco like the BF a/t?

Come to think of it, all their tyres seems like a clone of a well known brand? The Explorer looks like the Bridgestone 840?
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
Maddoglips
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: P.E.
Vehicle: Raider 2.2 4x4; Mikem 50mm raised suspension, long range tank, Monroe gasses all round.

Post by Maddoglips »

Hein

In regards to these tyres, I baught my van with them on and wasn't to dissappointed with them, that is until I recently inspected all of them while doing my suspension.

I have found 1 with cracks/cuts below the tread depth, so can't be due to something cutting it or the tread would be damaged and also found 1 with the knobbleys peeling off from the casing. On the others, it looks almost like it's peeling on the side walls and looks abit sceptical to me so now it's time for new tyres. :thumbdown:

Like said, they'll be fine for playing as and when need be, but I would defi not put them on again for every day driving/longdistance.

But also saying this, we have to go where the pocket allows. At the moment mine are still on and hopefully will last for awhile till they can be replaced, I just don't do any high speeds and aren't travelling far.

Zane
It's better to Burn Out then Fade Away.
Numbnut
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Vredenburg
Vehicle: '03 Colt 2.8TDI DC 4x4; Wilderness Offroad Camping Trailer

Post by Numbnut »

I put Pitbull's on my Ford Ranger and did about 7000 km's on them. Had no problems until a week ago when me and my wifey were on
our Honeymoon to Plett. The manufacturer does state that they are not suitable for continous highway use and rated at 120km/h.
Well, I was aware of this before I bought them and being strapped for cash at the time and staying on a farm, I thought, what the
hell and bought 5 new Pibulls. I lost 2 tyres in 5 days while on Honeymoon 2 weeks ago!! One tyre already did +-7000km's, it made a huge bulge
on the side, seperation I recall the tyre mechy call it! So, I replaced that one with the brand new Pitbull I had on spare. Well, a lug
came loose on that one 5 days and +-450km later. Luckily this happend on our way back from Honeymoon and 80km from home!!
And YES, they are a b!tch to balance!! :evil:

I phoned Jan, who is also on this forum and from whom I purchased the tyres, to inform him. He refunded me for the 2 tyres the next
day with no problems. Being a married man now and my newly appointed wife driving the bakkie every day I had to make a choice and
it was easy for me! There is no way in hell I would ever put remoulds ever again on a vehicle that any of my loved ones would drive!!!!

We dug deep in our money we got from friends and family from the wedding and I put on 5 new Cooper STT's last week!! Not only is the
handling better on-road & off-road, but there is no more irretating road noise and I have complete peace of mind! Yes, at R1300 vs R600,
it does sound cheap, but I'l rather pay twice as much for ten times the peace of mind!

The only good thing I can say about remoulds, specifically Pitbulls, are that they are good off-road, FULL STOP!!! Put them on your
pypkar or farm Jeep or bakkie, but that is that! The 3 remaining Pitbulls I put on my 4x4 camping trailer, it was due a tyre change and
being broke from the Honeymoon and 5 Coopers, it is the best thing to do at this point and time! I only use my trailer about 4 or 5 times
a year and it is less than half the weight of the bakkie and towing speed is always 100km/h, so I think it is ok for that purpose also, hope so!

We were very lucky that the front tyre that made the bulge, seperation, did not burst!

I have learned from my mistake, maybe you should also!?
Everything Works Better When It Is Properly Lubricated...!!!
Numbnut
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Vredenburg
Vehicle: '03 Colt 2.8TDI DC 4x4; Wilderness Offroad Camping Trailer

Post by Numbnut »

Incase you were wondering, NO, I didnt do the trip in one go! We stopped at almost every pad stalletjie and shop along
the way to Plett due to the fact that I was aware of the manufacturers conditions of use!

Thx
Daniel
Everything Works Better When It Is Properly Lubricated...!!!
Traveler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Springs
Vehicle: Pathfinder 2.5 LE AT
Club VHF Licence: X81

Post by Traveler »

Thanks everybody. I'd still stick to my Coopers, or maybe consider BF's if I cannot get Coopers.

At least my Hilux is not used every day.

Know what you don't know.

Return to “Open Discussion”