The Great Tyre Debate

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

The Great Tyre Debate

Post by Family_Dog »

Recently I went to Zeerust Koppie to check on our Radio Repeater installtion. Normally I take Bulldog there because there are one or two bad rocky bits on the trail where one needs ground clearance and traction but this time I took White Fang, who has sufficient ground clearance as well. Bulldog is shod with 31" Cooper STT tyres and has no issues whatever on the trail, but White Fang has road tyres, 31" Cooper AST. White Fang coped very well with the trail but at the one tricky bit I experienced loss of traction and a slight sideways slide, resulting in a slightly damaged sidewall step. No problem here, I was deciding in any case to replace the standard running boards with something more suitable but what really irked me was when one of those stupid white thorns penetrated the tyre's thin sidewall. I carried on driving until we reached level ground where I could stop safely and there was a nice round little hole about 1-2mm in diameter in the perimeter of the tyre, just where the tread blocks begin. So I am going to change the tyres as well.

Requirements:

* A more aggressive tread pattern
* Thicker sidewalls
* Better sidewall protection, similar to the STT tread where it actually extends up the sidewall for a bit
* 31 x 10.5 x 15.
* And the tricky one... Cooper STT is a fantastic tyre, but very noisy on a tarred surface.

White Fang is my touring vehicle therefore it is more on tar than any other surface, but does a fair amount of gravel roads as well. But good road grip is essential, I have experienced sideways loss of traction on a shale surface and I don't want that happening, scares the living daylights out of me. The Cooper STTs would be my first choice again, but the noise they make on a tar road is making me think twice.

Please post some suggestions.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

2.8 d/cab SFA
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Boksburg
Vehicle: Yamaha R1

Re: The Great Tyre Debate

Post by 2.8 d/cab SFA »

BFG, they have very strong sidewalls, very puncture resistant, so I have read.
John
Real Trucks Don't Have Sparkplugs!
ImageImage
Riceburner
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: JHB
Vehicle: D2 V8

Post by Riceburner »

BFG's sidewallis not so great.I had plenty thorns go through mine. I was looking for BF's for my Disco but no one had stock. salesman convinced me to Get Hankook RT03's. I am so far very impresses and the sidwall is a bit stiff but fo 600 bucks per tire less. Robby Gordon used them on his Hummer in th Parris Dakar.
Attachments
20090703216.jpg
2.8 d/cab SFA
Town: Boksburg
Vehicle: Yamaha R1

Post by 2.8 d/cab SFA »

I havn't had damage/puncture. I did alot of reading before I bought them. More ply,3ply polyester carcass, than other brands, including the sidewall. I have done more than 10 000km of which 300km off road.

http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/overview ... /1152.html, and
http://www.tyretest.com/4x4_reifen/bf_g ... index.html
good reading :thumbup:
John
Real Trucks Don't Have Sparkplugs!
ImageImage
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

although BF has a nice and hard side wall... the tyre itself is also hard and you will get a lot of mileage. But if you are interested in keeping your bakkie on the road in all weather and you are looking for all terrains.... I will only fit Bridgestone Dueler 694. What use is it if you have BF's and you are lying upside down some where in a ditch due to poor road holding.

If you are looking for somethign to replace Cooper STT's, never get anything else than Maxxi Bighorns. They are cheaper and have far superior grip. Do not expect more than 45 000km though as it is extremely soft compound. If you don't believe me, ask Blom what he threw of Boesman to make space for the Maxxis and what he thought of the change :) :thumbup:
To God be the glory
African Child
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Grabouw
Vehicle: Hilux 4L 4x4

Post by African Child »

BF's A/T vir toer. Stem saam oor die Maxxis, eks baie tevrede met my eerste stel, fantastiese grip op die teerpad vir n MTR en glad nie so baie bandgeraas soos my Goodyear MTR's nie. :thumbup:
Alone I wander a thousand miles, and I ask my way from the clouds.
3RZ
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 2004 Legend 35 Hilux 2.7 DC 4x4

Post by 3RZ »

BF AT's will get my vote. I don't know why some people complain about the BF A/T's roadholding. According to my experience it's roadholding (wet and dry) is an a different class when compared to Dunlop Trackgrip, Goodyear Wrangler and the old Yokohama superdiggers which were downright dangerous in the wet. I have done about 70 000Km's on mine and they are approx 60% used without a single puncture (90% of my offroading is in the Bushveld) - I will fit them again without hesitation. The only issue is the pieces ripped of/out on some very Rocky trails but that hasn't been a problem so far except for looks.
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Meyerton
Vehicle: Prado 120 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC126

Post by JohanM »

I agree with Willem here. I have had only experience of Firestone ATX and BFG AT's on my SFA. I will admit and say that as a all round tyre for touring and decent off road grip the BF has won my vote. I did not really alter my drivingstyle in the wet with my SFA as it always was remarkable stable in heavy rain of very loose gravel roads.

The ATX (brand new) was only driven for 500 km's before I took them off and replaced it with BFG AT's. Nearly rolled the SFA on a wet road with a trailer due to aquaplaning on a highway. That same day I replaced the tyres and towed the same trailer on the same road back, and it was driving like a train. In fact I even pushed it a bit harder going back. Having toured for allmost a 100000 km's on different roads I will fit the BF again without doubt. I have driven over very thorny infested grounds and never experienced any major problems of punctures.
Johan Marais
Joshua
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Brakpan
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 3.0 KZ-TE 4x4

Post by Joshua »

:thumbup: :thumbup: BFG A/T gets my vote. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Been to Kalahari, Kgalagadi, various trails.
Done about 10 000 km with them on rough terrain,
and I have not had a puncture yet.
Arno
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Durbanville CT
Vehicle: 1997 Hilux DC

Post by Arno »

I had BF AT's on my 2.7 DC 4x4 and they lasted 75 000 kms without problems on all terrain.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Eric, since you already have Coopers, you could also try the Cooper ST's rated for 60% tar 40% off-road. Not noisy at all, and they give unsurpassed mileage with excellent wet / dry road holding. I have yet to see a tyre that is totally thorn resistant .... those things are sharp and hard at the tips. Expect an occasional mishap with any tyre in torny terrain .... some are better than others of course. :wink:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Niel
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Post by Niel »

Family_Dog wrote:White Fang is my touring vehicle therefore it is more on tar than any other surface, but does a fair amount of gravel roads as well. But good road grip is essential,
CasKru wrote:But if you are interested in keeping your bakkie on the road in all weather and you are looking for all terrains.... I will only fit Bridgestone Dueler 694. What use is it if you have BF's and you are lying upside down some where in a ditch due to poor road holding.
Cas, I agree with you and the 694's is nice and quiet and sticks to the road.
I have been to the Kalahari, Namibia on gravel roads with mine and did 4 long trips to PTA x2, Kruger and Durban and can say that I did not have a moments problems. The 694’s have done approximately 15 000km on gravel road and 58000 km's on tar (Still have 5 mm tread left). And they are very good on wet roads.
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Niel wrote:
Family_Dog wrote:White Fang is my touring vehicle therefore it is more on tar than any other surface, but does a fair amount of gravel roads as well. But good road grip is essential,
CasKru wrote:But if you are interested in keeping your bakkie on the road in all weather and you are looking for all terrains.... I will only fit Bridgestone Dueler 694. What use is it if you have BF's and you are lying upside down some where in a ditch due to poor road holding.
Cas, I agree with you and the 694's is nice and quiet and sticks to the road.
I have been to the Kalahari, Namibia on gravel roads with mine and did 4 long trips to PTA x2, Kruger and Durban and can say that I did not have a moments problems. The 694’s have done approximately 15 000km on gravel road and 58000 km's on tar (Still have 5 mm tread left). And they are very good on wet roads.
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Maybe I can just add... the Maxxis I've got on the bakkie on the moment (MTR's) have been through all kinds of terrains and terrible one's at that and up till now, now punctures. They also grip extremely well on dry and wet roads. So if you don't mind the noise... fit Maxxi Bighorns. But don't expect extremely high mileage figures as they are a very soft compound
To God be the glory
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

OK, so we're talking about these then:
BF Goodrich MT
BF Goodrich MT
BFG A/T
BFG A/T
Bridgestone Dueler 694
Bridgestone Dueler 694
Bridgestone Dueler694.jpg (20.17 KiB) Viewed 4650 times

They all look great, the MT would probably also make a noise but looks like it can handle most situations. I have not yet priced these tyres, was waiting first to get recommendations but please keep them coming. Unlike a cat, I do nopt have nine lives left, so I want to make sure before I commit to something else.

-F_D

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

I phoned my Tyre Dealer, and he also recommends the BFG AT.

How do these prices compare? (as at 17 Sept)

BFG MT2 (latest version) @ R1656.00
BFG AT R1853.00
Bridgestone D694 @ R1337.00
Cooper STT @ R1975.00
Cooper ST @ R1728.00

All prices include fitting and balancing.

-F_D

CasKru

Post by CasKru »

And don't forget these....
To God be the glory
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Family_Dog wrote:I phoned my Tyre Dealer, and he also recommends the BFG AT.

How do these prices compare? (as at 17 Sept)

BFG MT2 (latest version) @ R1656.00
BFG AT R1853.00
Bridgestone D694 @ R1337.00
Cooper STT @ R1975.00
Cooper ST @ R1728.00

All prices include fitting and balancing.

-F_D
BF's is over priced.... and I doubt that you will like them.

Keep in mind that the Bridgestones and Maxxi's will give you a more comfortable ride as well.

There is a marked difference in ride quality when I switch from my AT's (Conti - hate them - came with the bakkie) to the MTR (Bighorns)
To God be the glory
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

The dueller and all terrain have tight tread patterns, means more rubber on the road which is good in the dry, but in the wet if there isn't enough width between the blocks for quick water dispersement, you could find yourself aquaplaning at relatively low speeds. Even worse is a number of tread patterns that don't allow water displacement to vent to the side of the tyre (blocked off by a solid tread pattern). The more agressive treads are better for this, but you generally sacrifice tyre longevity, a little less dry road traction and road hum. Again, Cooper ST's are suitable for your needs as described. :wink:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Eric... have a look here. It unfortunately does not include Maxxis but at least it will show you that Bridestone is better than BF:
http://www.4wdmonthly.com.au/tips_tyres.php
To God be the glory
GTO
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Fish Hoek
Vehicle: 2002 2700i 4x4 DC ; 1995 2.4 SRX

Post by GTO »

My 2700i has Conti Trac's which I cant wait to change(noisey and lost one tyre that had lots of small pin pricks holes in it :shock: ) I just waiting for them to wear out(still have +/- 20000km left) and to save up the money for new tyres :)

But I have been doing some research in the mean time.

Here are some of my choices:

BF AT(worried about wet tar as my wife drives the bakkie most of the time)

Bridgestone D694 AT(Doesn't look aggresive enough)

Bridgestone D673 MT(Seems to get good reviews overseas supposedly good on wet tar and noise levels same as some AT tyres)

Firestone Destinations AT(Rated as one of the best AT tyres but tread pattern looks like a HT tyre)

Cooper STT(a lot of guys on the 4x4 community moaning about vehicles pulling to the left after fitting them)

Goodyear AT/SA(New tyre on the market also doesn't have white writing on side walls :twisted: )

So I am considering going with the Bridgestone D673!

Any one had any experince with these tyres?
2002 Hilux 2700i 4x4 DC(facelift)
1995 Hilux 2.4 SRX Raider(4x2) Still my favourite!
1985 Suzuki DR600S
1984 Honda ATC200ES BIG RED
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

GTO wrote:My 2700i has Conti Trac's which I cant wait to change(noisey and lost one tyre that had lots of small pin pricks holes in it :shock: ) I just waiting for them to wear out(still have +/- 20000km left) and to save up the money for new tyres :)

But I have been doing some research in the mean time.

Here are some of my choices:

BF AT(worried about wet tar as my wife drives the bakkie most of the time)

Bridgestone D694 AT(Doesn't look aggresive enough)

Bridgestone D673 MT(Seems to get good reviews overseas supposedly good on wet tar and noise levels same as some AT tyres)

Firestone Destinations AT(Rated as one of the best AT tyres but tread pattern looks like a HT tyre)

Cooper STT(a lot of guys on the 4x4 community moaning about vehicles pulling to the left after fitting them)

Goodyear AT/SA(New tyre on the market also doesn't have white writing on side walls :twisted: )

So I am considering going with the Bridgestone D673!

Any one had any experince with these tyres?
Unfortunely not. But I yet have to find a bridgestone tyre I don't like :)
To God be the glory
Agteros
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota FJ Cruiser

Post by Agteros »

I have just replaced my Firestone ATX tyres with BF AT's (Done about 80-90000 km's on the ATX's).

Went to BF's on the advice from the people at Exhaust & Tyre City @ Menlyn.
Time will tell whether this was good :thumbup: or bad :thumbdown:
2020 FJ Cruiser
1986 Hilux DC 4x4. Sold to the Boss :cooldude:
GTO
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Fish Hoek
Vehicle: 2002 2700i 4x4 DC ; 1995 2.4 SRX

Post by GTO »

2002 Hilux 2700i 4x4 DC(facelift)
1995 Hilux 2.4 SRX Raider(4x2) Still my favourite!
1985 Suzuki DR600S
1984 Honda ATC200ES BIG RED

Return to “The Workshop”