Shackles Om SFA te lig

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
klippe
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Bronkhorstspruit
Vehicle: 2.5 D4D SRX 4x2

Shackles Om SFA te lig

Post by klippe »

Het iemand al sy eie shackels op die vere gemaak om 'n SFA te lig? Ek wil graag weet hoe hoog kan mens gaan met hulle en of daar 'n spesifieke " plan" is met die shape ens.
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Re: Shackels Om SFA te lig

Post by Mr_B »

Hi Gerhard,

I fitted the Mikem extended shackles, it was supposed to give a 25mm lift, but in actual fact the lift is more like 50mm... the shackles are 100mm... just be careful if the shackles are too long the front driveshaft will be too short!

I bakkie stands as high as one with a 50mm body lift!

B
klippe
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by klippe »

Thanks for the info, What did it cost you more or less?
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Remember that the shackles and the pins are made from carbon steel, not mild steel. These are important components of the suspension and affect the safety / stability / roadworthiness of the vehicle. It's my opinion that this is not something you should be making up yourself, unless you have the neccesary materials, equipment and know-how. Especially if it's an everyday vehicle. Rather get the Mikem ones .... it'll cost you close to 2K, but you cannot put a price on life.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
klippe
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by klippe »

Thanks Mud Dog

Just popped an email to Mikem to get the price, I thought there will be some or other catch to the shackles. Do you get it in different sizes?Or is it just one standard size
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

Gerhard,

Darren from Mikem will give you the exact answers you need, I do believe there are length options, but be careful... I wouldn't go over 100mm for an everyday runner, simply because you do lose some stability on the road. The Mikems I got are greasable and included new bushes, and the cost was much less than 2G's... but I had to fit them myself... and in the end Hoppy helped me with the fitment!

B
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

On Darrell's advice I've canned the idea of installing Extended Shackles :Geek:

They only give 25mm more than the "regular" Mikem shackles :roll:

Gerhard, unless you have OME blades you gonna have serious problems with sagging :o: :o:
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

I've never liked the ext shackles idea myself. Consider that in a corner, the only thing holding the axles in place are the springs (leaf packs) and the only thing holding those are the shackles and hangers. What stops the packs from being swayed to either side by the centifugal forces in a turn is the hangers, shackles and the bushes inside them. There are no swing-arms or tortion bars on SFA's. Now the longer one makes the shackles, the more leverage they have over the bushes, and the more they are likely to flex. Any resulting sideway movement of the packs makes the vehicle unstable. the last thing I would want is for my Lux to start fish-tailing on a mountain pass or on a curve in the face of on-comming traffic.

Lifts are far safer achieved with the springs themselves (OME will give you about 100mm .... don't know how much with Mikem), OR with block spacers between the axle and leaf pack (You would need longer u-bolts and I don't think it's safe to space more than 60mm there) OR to have spacers professionally fitted / welded between the chassis and the cradles for the shackles (and) cradles for the hangers (this would involve the cutting off, spacing and re-welding the suspension anchor points or cradles. Professionally done, it's a safer option) OR a body lift where the body is lifted higher off the chassis by means of spacers (this is the safest spacing method as it does not interfere with suspension components).

The reason for looking to achieve extra height is important as to which you choose. Body lifts are really only done for the purpose of gaining body clearance for modifications like bigger wheels and motor conversions, whilst the others are done to achieve better ground clearance on transverse obstacles. Linear obstacle clearance on an SFA can only be achieved with the fitment of bigger radius wheels / tyres since that's the only way to increase diff / axle height.

So after a long story, my suggestion would be to first get a suspension upgrade (OME or Mikem) which will give you not only lift but more importantly, axle articulation. This will significantly and safely improve the vehicle's off-road capability. Other benefits are a smoother, more comfortable ride. If you still want to go higher after that, the other options above are still open to you. :wink:

M25CW :D:

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Spartan
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Vanderbijlpark
Vehicle: 98 LTD Hilux 4x4 SFA, 2JZ GE L6 VVT-i 3.0i, Bilstein shox, OME and a Land Cruiser 79 series

Post by Spartan »

Baie goeie inligting daai oom Andy, dankie ek het ook iets by geleer :thumbup: :thumbup: Jy kan ook maar n ou groot uil badge kry want die info koop jy nie met geld nie, dis net ondervinding. :thumbup: :thumbup:
MOBILITATE VINCERE
Spartan
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

Well put Andy! I agree with you, even though I fitted extended shackles :thumbup: . The Mikem extended shackles I have fitted are seriously engineered, thicker steel than the old ones, and are only 25mm longer than the std shackles. The reason I went for the extended shackles was to give better clearance in the wheel arches for the 33inch tyres, they were still touching at full articulation, full steering lock previously. The old shackles and bushes were totally stuff, and the pins were pitted, worn and the bushes were binding on the pins, making an aweful noise... so essentially I killed 2 birds with one stone! And they are greasable!

B :wink:
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Bretton I don't think that an extra 25mm shackle length is either here nor there in terms of what I was saying IRO safety / stability. It's when the guys go for a 50 to 60 mm ext. that it becomes a factor. If the extra 25mm gets you just that extra little clearance required for your 33's then I say "why not". And as you said they're sturdier built to compensate.

Greasable shackles are definitely the way to go if you can swing it. :thumbup: I have had to drop my suspension out completely a couple of times to do it manually :thumbdown: , what a drag. I did'nt mind when I was a little more keen and 'spritely' but it's not a lekker task for a 'ou toppie' on his own :D: :wink:

Just as a matter of curiosity, the Mikem greasables with bushes are a little cheaper than the OEM non-greasables from the stealers! (Here I'm including the spring hangers as well). So if yours are worn (the pins do wear), and pitted .... well, you now know where to get replacements! :wink:

Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

The funny thing on my lux is that the 25mm longer shackle gave a 50mm lift, the extended shackles stand up straighter, as opposed to the std ones that were lying at an angle.

B
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

That's interesting and sort of makes sense, but I would have expected that to only come into play with longer extensions. Cool! You don't have any 'swaying' issues IRO handling, I take it?

Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

Nope she travels pretty well @ 130km/h... but i do have a steering box that appears to be worn, any tricks to share on steering boxes... so far it looks like I am going to have to buy a second hand one @ about R2500 :shock: ... the play adjust screw appears to be on it's last!

B
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

are you talking about the box itself, or the draglink?

Toybox
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: Hilex
Club VHF Licence: X100

Post by Toybox »

Have you tried adjusting the little screw on the top of the box?
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

It's the box itself... and no I haven't fiddle with that screw yet, Allan says the screw has been adjusted pretty far in already, which is a sign of a worn box...
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

and you can't get a re-conditioned one anywhere? ... there used to be a place here in E.L that did gearboxes, diffs etc .... and they did steering boxes / steering racks as well. check the yellow pages :think:

klippe
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Re: Shackles Om SFA te lig

Post by klippe »

Thanks for all of the info. Spoke to the guys from Mikem and the long and the short of the whole discussion is simply that if I would like to get at least a 50 mm lift it is going to cost me abot R10k. Something that the bank manager does not understand quite well. :roll: A lady of course and not driving a Hilux 4x4 but a VW Jetta. :eh:
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Budget and save toward it .... it is the way to go :wink:

klippe
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by klippe »

:twisted:
Mud Dog wrote:Budget and save toward it .... it is the way to go :wink:
Thanks Mud Dog

With the opening of our shop in Boksburg that is rather impossible to do at this moment, But definatly for the future. Hopefully then the word budget will not be some sort of swear word :lol:

Return to “The Workshop”