@lantis 09 may 2009

Tell us about your favorite 4x4 trail. Tell us how easy or difficult it was, is there escape routes for the faint hearted? Please add some photographs if you can.
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

@lantis 09 may 2009

Post by Hoppy »

????????????????????
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Re: @lantis 09 may 2009

Post by CasKru »

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
To God be the glory
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

Kaspaas and I had a lekker run. I am not going to speak for the rest of the group, and will allow the BFI boys to tell us more about their experiences in the dunes, and how their modifications held up in sand driving. Pieter Piesang can also tell us how he experienced his first outing on the sand. The sand was not powdery soft, it was just damp, but not hard. This made some dunes easier to negotiate as there was nice traction in places.

Kaspaas does have a snag or 2 that Allan needs to attend to this week, but nothing serious. We got home in 1 piece. The top radiator hose got chowed by the alternator fins and started leaking, hence Kaspaas's bonnet being open, but Manie jumped in and after we duct-taped it and applied a few cable-ties everything was 100%. :thumbup: :twisted: :twisted:

Coenie's Rotbakkie is gaining respect big time. There is just no stopping that Ford 30-S. And he took on some lekker obstacles and made them first time. Especially the long uphill behind the Horseshoe. :clap: :clap:

Manie's 2.2 is very well setup, and we had a lot of fun. I am looking forward to playing some more Manie. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Richard did post some pictures at this location: http://picasaweb.google.com/Everatts/At ... ennieTrail#

Jacques and 2 of his Triton buddies also joined us there, and after a serious calculation error Jacques pranged the front of his Triton so bad he had to be towed out as the radiator was punctured. Up until then the Tritons were doing very well in the sand. :twisted: :roll: :twisted: :twisted:

To everybody who attended, thank you for a pleasurable day... We must do this again soon :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

There are more posts on this here:
viewtopic.php?f=57&t=6381
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

The 2 BFi's ran great... Rich still needs to dyno his, the engine differences(cam, compression) between my 4Y engine and his, mean that my dyno'd map is not really well suited to his lux. Tyres(size and pressure) make a huge difference too... Bennie learnt really quickly that you can't crawl in the dune sand, rev's is the only way... Manie, with his rig showed us all that the humble 4Y carb engine in the right hands is an awesome machine... he's got a nice rig! Thys... Mr Cool, Calm and Collected, your 7MGE showed again the nothing can beat pure horsepower... wheel turning/sand churning power delux... Pieter Pretorius... I love that engine, the 3RZ in his lux is running really sweet, that bakkie ran through the dunes sonder fuss! Piesang and friends... it was great to meet you guys in person... your lux did really well, even your friends 3.0D didn't stand back for any 'petrol rated' challenge... Coenie showed us all that the Ford 3L V6 married to an SFA hilux... in the right hands... is an extremely potent combination... Bees will be bees... with 2 big boys and a heavy sandbag in the loadbin... an unlimited supply of cold beer(brain petrol)... bees showed us all that there's not much his 2.7VVTi 4x2(with rear diffloc) can't do that a 4x4 can! Niel... and his legendary KTZE... ummmmmmm... weren't there....

B :wave:
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

I sat down to write a lekker Trail Report but I couldn't get past the first line:

We got there nice and early........... :think:

well 99% of us did :twisted: :twisted:
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

well 99% of us did
Payback is sweet... At least I wasn't 2 hours late... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager

Bees
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Stellenbosch
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0 V6, 4x4, D/C, A/T. En een gevaarlike petrol voet.

Post by Bees »

Jis - Jis

Ja ek wil ook net dankie se vir almal, dit was weereens lekker, dankie vir die manne wat my twee keer moes uit sleep, Thys en OOM Paul ( met daai wiile geel gevaar ). :clap:

Maar ja, behalwe vir daai insidente, was dit lekker, was lekker om almal te sien en so bietjie stront te praat.

Net jammer ek het so 'n paar skrapies opgedoen met my laaste eskepades, maar dit is ook seker maar deel van die sport.

So, se maar net wanneer en ek is weer daar.

P.S. Ek sal duin ry lesse gee op aanvraag, prys onderhandelbaar. :twisted: :mrgreen:
Die lewe is 'n lied, sing blik$em sing
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

Kaspaas wrote:
well 99% of us did
Payback is sweet... At least I wasn't 2 hours late... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
That rachet strap seat mod definitely gave KasPaas that extra bit of traction required for sand driving... please can you post the method and a list of parts required as I too would like to do that mod...

Dune driving on the seat of your pants! :lol:

:twisted:
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

snipes wrote:That rachet strap seat mod definitely gave KasPaas that extra bit of traction required for sand driving... please can you post the method and a list of parts required as I too would like to do that mod...
I promise you you dont want to do that mod. My feet could not reach the pedals properly, and most gear changes were made without using the clutch. Luckily I drove enough army trucks in my life to know how to do that. :shock: :twisted: :twisted:

The front seat mounts broke (too many Heinekens and an overdose of chips on Friday night), freaky I know, how it happened still is still beyond me. That was the reason for me being late.. I just hooked the hooks of the ratchet stap on either side of the seat into that rail under the front mounts, and tightened it. it kept the seat in place, but the seat could not move. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager

Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

[quote="Kaspaas"]My feet could not reach the pedals properly[quote]

Haaaa... I wondered why KasPaas seemed to only be able to reach 4500rpm... cause you couldn't press the accelerator any further... :lol: next mod... pedal extensions... for emergency situations...

B
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

snipes wrote: next mod... pedal extensions... for emergency situations...
Nope, next mod.. fix the bloody seat.. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager

Piesang
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Grabouw
Vehicle: '99 Hilux SRX d/c 4x4

Post by Piesang »

Manne dit is lekker om nou gesigte by die name te sit, as ek net kan onthou watter gesig pas by watter naam en by watter 4x4 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dit was regtig 'n lekkerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr dag. :clap: :clap: :thumbup:

Ek het baie geleer en dankie aan die wat advies gegee het, op die einde van die dag dink ek dat met jul advies, my bakkie se vermoë en anteering ek nogasl redelik goed gedoen het, want toe ek eers die pers se skoen baas geraak het kon ek die bul by die hoorings pak.

My bakkie is vanoggend in vir diens en as als reg loop is ek reg vir Botswana.

"Onderwerp julle dan aan God; weerstaan die duiwel, en hy sal van julle wegvlug." Jak 4:7
Piesang

Post by Piesang »

Oja en Bennie ek het toe toe ek my pa aflaai dat my suster die knipper deur my hare stoot sonder 'n kammetjie aan. Ek het my ma nof nooit so in tale hoor praat so toe ek daar klaar is nie.

"Onderwerp julle dan aan God; weerstaan die duiwel, en hy sal van julle wegvlug." Jak 4:7
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

Piesang wrote:Oja en Bennie ek het toe toe ek my pa aflaai dat my suster die knipper deur my hare stoot sonder 'n kammetjie aan. Ek het my ma nof nooit so in tale hoor praat so toe ek daar klaar is nie.
Ek kan nie anders nie Piesang, maar jy MOET 'n prenkie plak van jou nuwe haarstyl... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager

dalkill
Town: Cape TOwn
Vehicle: 2.4 GD6 SR D/C 4x4

Post by dalkill »

what tyre pressure to do you guys run on these dunes?
2016 2.4GD6 SR D/C 4x4 (Oct 2022 - current) (Buraaq VI)
2007 d4d 3.0 D/C 4x4 (Mar 2016 - July 2022) (Buraaq V)
2003 Isuzu KB300 D/C 4x4 (May 2015 - Feb 2016) aka Buraaq IV
2000 hilux DC 2.7 4x4 (Jul 2011 - Sep 2012) aka Buraaq III
1999 RXI 20v (Nov 2009 - Jul 2011) aka Quicksilver
1990 hilux DC 2.2 4x4 (Jun 2008 - Jul 2011) aka Buraaq II
1997 corolla 160i GLE (Feb 2007 - Sep 2009) aka Green Goblin
1990 GLI twincam (still my fav rolla) (Oct 2005 - Mar 2007) aka Wit Blitz
Golf GTI 2.0 (temp insanity for 2months) (Jun 2005 - Aug 2005) aka A mistake
1993 hilux SC 2.2 4x4 (April 2003 - Sept 2005) aka Buraaq

TOYOTA IS MY LEWE
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

I was impressed with the Triton hey :o:

(before e-broke finished bos)

Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

dalkill wrote:what tyre pressure to do you guys run on these dunes?
I started at 0.8 back and 0.7 front, by the time the sun started baking, they were at 0.9 and 0.8 respectively... after a bit of discussion with Manie and Thys I deflated to 0.5 all round... my one tyre did go flat, but that wasn't an issue, I just pumped it up with the super compressor, mounted in that pretty yellow SFA Lexus V8 :mrgreen:

So if you have got decent inflation/re-seating goodies, then 0.5 is fine... else 0.7

B
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

Dadz Toy BFI wrote:I was impressed with the Triton hey :o:

(before e-broke finished bos)
A bit more ground clearance and bigger tyres would make that Triton so much more capable... they sure wouldn't have been able to follow Manie around in std format, they would have been stuck in no time... the bit negative on those good looking vehicles is price, whats the bet that the front bumper and radiator replacement will be much more expensive than my entire 4Y engine rebuild...
dalkill

Post by dalkill »

0.5 :wth: :shock:
that is like running on your rims

TOYOTA IS MY LEWE
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

snipes wrote:So if you have got decent inflation/re-seating goodies, then 0.5 is fine... else 0.7
Stick maar rather to 0.7 :shock: :shock: going as low as 0.5 you will de-bead a tyre in a flash, and if that happens while negotiating a dune/obstacle where you cannot stop and re-bead safely, you are prone to damage the tyre and even maybe the vehicle while getting to a level surface where you can work without putting people/vehicle at risk. And sometimes you need all 4 wheels to get down safely. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Tyres are buggers, they don't come off while the vehicle is nice and level with lots of space to work safely So my suggestion is to not go any lower that 0.7 on fronts, maybe 0.6 on the rears, any lower than that and you must not make any sharp turns. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager

Piesang

Post by Piesang »

Ek was die oggend net voor 8 by die hek en het gewag tot so 8:20 en die bande laat sak tot 1 met so bietjie koukus onder die manne het ek Thys se raad gevol en dit daar gehou om die gevoel te kry van wat dit op die sand doen. Ek moet sê ek het nogal goed gevaar.

By middag toe ons deur die 8 gegaan het was die temp goed op en die druk 1.2, ek het toe eers met die druk in die gat gaan speel in verskullende rat verhoudings tussen lae en hoog 4. Uit die gat het Thys my terug gestuur met bande af na .8 dit was 'n groot verskul ek kon dit amper nie glo nie en kon toe sien hoekom ek op party plekke so bietjie gesukkel het. En vir die manne wat nie daar was nie ek het standaard 245x15 op.

Na die laaste groot hundernis terwyl ons kaspaas se bennegoed bekyk het het die regter voor heeltemal pap geword, gelukkig op gelyk grond met genoeg werk plek om die bakkie. Daai geel hiluxus het ook tot my reding ge kom, want ek het nie 'n hilift jack nie en nog 'n les geleer toe ons een tussen die manne geleen het, al gebruik jy jack nooit ter wyl jy hom het maak gereeld seker hys werk glad. Dankie vir die berydwilligheid om my te wou help met die hilift jack :thumbup: .

Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Post by Hoppy »

I will join you next time, why is there no pics of the BFI's clearing the big dunes?
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
Piesang

Post by Piesang »

Ek kan nie anders nie Piesang, maar jy MOET 'n prenkie plak van jou nuwe haarstyl
So in die helfte van die proses het my suster eers gestop en ek het vir my ma gesê dit is hoe ek nou my hare gaan los, nou al is jy oor veertig en jou ma oor 70 gaan jy nog onder die besem deur loop. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

Pieter, die girls gaan tou staan boet!! :shock: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager

Piesang

Post by Piesang »

Kaspaas wrote:Pieter, die girls gaan tou staan boet!! :shock: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Ek moet darm sê daai klos is ook af.

Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Hoppy wrote:
why is there no pics of the BFI's clearing the big dunes?
Just for you Allan man :wink:
Attachments
Bennie beat the big one.jpg
(62.01 KiB) Downloaded 381 times
Last edited by Dadz Toy BFI on Tue May 12, 2009 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

With that amount of sand being kicked out the back it looks more like it is stuck on a little dune... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager

Niel
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Post by Niel »

:shock: :shock: and it is a BFI ...and you say it is a little dune :shifty:
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

P5093102.JPG

Enough said!
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

This was Bennie's first attempt at a dune... in Bolt my lux... nice pic...
P5093047.JPG

I'm the Nut that drives Bolt... :twisted:
dalkill

Post by dalkill »

nee wat, ek sal maar moet plan maak om eendag saam met julle te kom speel... net om te sien of die LPG powered lux dit ook kan maak....

TOYOTA IS MY LEWE
Maniac
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: 1993 Hilux SFADC
Club VHF Licence: X25

Post by Maniac »

Thys ek vind dat die staal rims (Prowhites) die bande mooi vashou, so ek ry altyd op 0.5 in die duine. Mens moet regtig mooi *a* aanjaag voordat hulle afklim (dieselfde met die 31 bfg A/T's en die 33 Bighorns). As die bande stywer is dan sukkel mens te veel (en ja ek deel nou tips uit).

Miskien met swaarder bakkies / canopies sal dit 'n probleem wees?
93 D/C Hilux Not 4Y, 33" Bighorns, 29 MHz, OME 3" Lift
No Ditch Too Deep, No Hill Too High!!!
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

Maniac wrote:Thys ek vind dat die staal rims (Prowhites) die bande mooi vashou, so ek ry altyd op 0.5 in die duine. Mens moet regtig mooi tjol aanjaag voordat hulle afklim (dieselfde met die 31 bfg A/T's en die 33 Bighorns). As die bande stywer is dan sukkel mens te veel (en ja ek deel nou tips uit).

Dis eerder 'n kwessie van experience Manie. Jy moet weet hoe om met sulke pap bande te ry sonder om hulle af te trap. Laat die ouens wat nie weet nie maar eerder op bietjie hoër druk leer dan kan hulle later verder afkom, soos hulle meer vertroue opbou. My bande was Saterdag self 0.4 agter en 0.6 voor. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager

Piesang

Post by Piesang »

Kaspaas wrote:
Maniac wrote:Thys ek vind dat die staal rims (Prowhites) die bande mooi vashou, so ek ry altyd op 0.5 in die duine. Mens moet regtig mooi tjol aanjaag voordat hulle afklim (dieselfde met die 31 bfg A/T's en die 33 Bighorns). As die bande stywer is dan sukkel mens te veel (en ja ek deel nou tips uit).

Dis eerder 'n kwessie van experience Manie. Jy moet weet hoe om met sulke pap bande te ry sonder om hulle af te trap. Laat die ouens wat nie weet nie maar eerder op bietjie hoër druk leer dan kan hulle later verder afkom, soos hulle meer vertroue opbou. My bande was Saterdag self 0.4 agter en 0.6 voor. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Dan kan ek my self gerus op die skouer klop as ek dink ek my toy was die toy met die kleinste bande en redlik hard teen oor julle toys sin. Dan dink ek telwel dink ek, ek het gemaklik oor die grootste deel van die terein gekom.

Ek moet sê ek was sk..t bang om op die sand te gaan.

ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

Ja nee wel gedaan Pieter. sand is lekker... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager

BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

Waar is die res van die foudies mense, en ons wil sien hoe 'n Poena Piesang lyk
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

BenHur wrote:Waar is die res van die foudies mense, en ons wil sien hoe 'n Poena Piesang lyk

Looks like I was the only happy-snappy-hilux-chappie :roll:

So they are here bro:

http://picasaweb.google.com/Everatts/At ... ennieTrail#

:wink:
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

Dadz Toy BFI wrote:
BenHur wrote:Waar is die res van die foudies mense, en ons wil sien hoe 'n Poena Piesang lyk

So they are here bro:

Richard... Bennie is referring to the pics taken at Kriges, but I suspect the camera operator forgot to switch the camera on!

B
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

snipes wrote:
Dadz Toy BFI wrote:

So they are here bro:

Richard... Bennie is referring to the pics taken at Kriges, but I suspect the camera operator forgot to switch the camera on!

B
Hmmmmm....... too much "falling over juice" consumed hey :roll: :wink:
Niel

Post by Niel »

No No..here it is with all the ????
Attachments
080520091595 (Large).jpg
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

did you get vaseline all over that lens Niel? :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager

Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

Kaspaas wrote:did you get vaseline all over that lens Niel? :twisted: :twisted:

Chip oil! :shh:
Piesang

Post by Piesang »

Dis nou nie die beste van foto nie maar dis hoe 'n Poena Piesang lyk

ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

bliksement! :silent: :silent: :silent:
Thys de Jager

Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Bennie left quite an impression on you then Pieter :shock: :o:

R :wink:
Piesang

Post by Piesang »

bliksement!
Ja ek lyk maar sleg :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bennie left quite an impression on you then Pieter
Die foto was toe ek my hare vir kanker laatsny het verlede jaar en die keer het ek net besluit ek gaan nie met daai bos hare soor julle my Saterdag gesien het Botswana toe nie. Dis maklikker net 'n kaal kop.

Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

Oh so that's what you look like... :shock:

At least we can see your face now... not hidden behind a serious mop of hair... :wink:
Niel

Post by Niel »

Kaspaas wrote:did you get vaseline all over that lens Niel?
it looks more like KY as you suggested we use.....Thysie why KY :?: :twisted: :twisted:

They call it picture editing 101 :lol:
Piesang

Post by Piesang »

snipes wrote:Oh so that's what you look like... :shock:

At least we can see your face now... not hidden behind a serious mop of hair... :wink:
:thumbup: :lol: :lol: :lol:

BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Mooi man Pieter I likes :thumbup:

Met lang hare het Pieter soos 'n country en western sanger gelyk, Nou lyk hu soos 'n punk rocker :clap: :clap: :clap:
Piesang

Post by Piesang »

BenHur wrote:Mooi man Pieter I likes :thumbup:

Met lang hare het Pieter soos 'n country en western sanger gelyk, Nou lyk hu soos 'n punk rocker :clap: :clap: :clap:
My vrou sal haar pap lag hiervoor want ek is so van noot af soos kan kom. Ek is baie lief vir sing en dit maak dit nog al moeilik in die kerk as jy graag lekker wil saam sing, maar jy weet die mense om jou gaan dit nie wardeer nie.

ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

Piesang wrote:ek is so van noot af soos kan kom.
Alle punk rockers is van noot af, so jy is in goeie geselskap. Selfs meeste van die Afrikaanse kunstenaars is van noot af, so daar le 'n blink toekoms vir jou voor Pieter. Ek hoop net jy onthou nog ons "klein" outjies as jy eendag rich and famous is... :shock: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager

Piesang

Post by Piesang »

Kaspaas wrote:
Piesang wrote:ek is so van noot af soos kan kom.
Alle punk rockers is van noot af, so jy is in goeie geselskap. Selfs meeste van die Afrikaanse kunstenaars is van noot af, so daar le 'n blink toekoms vir jou voor Pieter. Ek hoop net jy onthou nog ons "klein" outjies as jy eendag rich and famous is... :shock: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
:thumbup: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Pieter

EK het 'n mic op my PC en 'n CD writer en 'n goeie colour lazer by die werk. Kom maak die naweek 'n draai dan record ons jou CD en sit dit volgende week op die rak. Jy sal geld maak soos bossies :twisted: :twisted:

Return to “Trail Reports”