Hilux 2.8 GD-6 - LIMP mode after ECU flash & No error codes

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
rommies
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: Hilux 2.8 GD-6

Hilux 2.8 GD-6 - LIMP mode after ECU flash & No error codes

Post by rommies »

Hello Gents,

Hope this post finds you well.

I have my own performance shop here in JHB. Very passionate about cars and bakkies and I have worked hard to get my passion into reality bla bla bla...

I have one weird problem that I don't really understand, and hopefully someone can assist me here (as this is a dedicated Hilux forum).

2023 Hilux 2.8 GD-6 (150kW 500Nm) came to us for a full exhaust and Stage 1 tune.
I took a FULL READ (OEM BACKUP) of the ECU via OBD with my tuning tools before I did anything. This is normally the procedure I follow incase something goes wrong (I always make a full backup if the vehicle allows me too).

Flashed it with Stage 1 tune - no issues flashing it - all goes through successfully.
Hilux 2.8 GD-6 is like in a soft limp mode. Took battery off for 20min - still same issue.
OBD scan it with my diagnostic tools - there is a few errors relating to the ECU flash process but nothing serious. Clear all errors.

Go for a drive and obviously there is like no power / limp mode. Drove around a bit hoping that some kind of error pops up.

Long story short, obviously something is wrong with the modified ECU file. We flashed it back to stock (original backup that we made) - and I still have the same issue. The bakkie just doesn't want to go anywhere / limp mode. No errors, nothing. Not even an engine light.

I even left the battery disconnected the whole night but makes no difference (with original file loaded). Then I suspected the flashing tool we used is not good - i used another tool, but same issue.

I am really out of ideas - this newish Toyota Hilux (Gen3 ECU) is really giving me a headache.

Any ideas gents? Thanks.

Rommies
082 326 6489

Return to “The Workshop”