water flow/heater core

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
highmilagehilux
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: hartbeespoort
Vehicle: 1999 3rz hilux

water flow/heater core

Post by highmilagehilux »

I have a 3rz the heater core was not connected sorted the cores hole out but now its like it gets a air lock when I remove the pipe its like it's not pumping water to it pipe are not blocked any help will be appreciated. seems to build up seem in the pipes.

Sent from my SM-A307FN using Tapatalk

Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: water flow/heater core

Post by Mud Dog »

Is the heater valve opening and closing as it should? After being closed for a long period of time it could very well be stuck. That's the first thing I would check. If that's working as it should then disconnect the pipe from the valve on the motor side and start the motor to see if water is indeed being pumped to the valve. Reticulation may have been intentionally blocked because of the leaking core.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
highmilagehilux
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

when you say heater valve is there a valve the cuts the water flow. because I definitely don't have that it's just got the flap inside that blocks the heater core.

Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

There should definitely be a valve for water flow. There are two components, the flap which controls air flow from outside and the valve that opens / closes water flow to the heater core. Both of these are normally cable operated but in later model vehicles the flap is often controlled by electrical solenoid or servo.

The heater valve is almost always mounted to the firewall in the engine compartment, not inside the cab. Follow the heater hoses. from the motor. Could be that they were removed .... if not, and the valve is missing, you might find that there is a joint in the outflow hose at the firewall where the valve should be, and that it was removed and by passed. That last scenario is unlikely unless the hoses have been blanked off somewhere, otherwise you would have the heater going full time.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Just a premature suggestion, (depending on what you do or don't find), if you need a valve, just get a VW Golf one from Goldwagen ... cheapest option and they work very well. You may just have to make a new screw hole in the firewall to mount it .... needs at least two screws and the original hole won't match, must be secure.

Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

I hope that the valve control cable is still there ... expensive from agents. You could make one up if needs be ... must be the solid wire core, not braided.

highmilagehilux
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

okay so there's definitely no valve and there is no cable there is also no join in the pipe

the pipe was not blocked off all they did was put a join in so the water flowed between the 2 pipes

dax021
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Harkerville WC
Vehicle: 1990 Hilux 4Y

Post by dax021 »

Mud Dog wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:33 am Just a premature suggestion, (depending on what you do or don't find), if you need a valve, just get a VW Golf one from Goldwagen ... cheapest option and they work very well. You may just have to make a new screw hole in the firewall to mount it .... needs at least two screws and the original hole won't match, must be secure.
Ja, I still can't figure this one out. Bought a Golf valve about 5yrs ago with the intention of using it as a replacement for my vrot control valve. Couldn't figure out how to get the water hoses to connect at the right places as well as the flap opens the wrong way, so i would have to extend the cable and loop it to come in from the opposite side. I eventually gave up. If someone knows how it's done, I'd really like to know
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

If you have one that has inlet / outlet on the wrong sides then simply mount it upside down. It wont affect the functionality of the valve, just makes cable connection a bit awkward.

dax021
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Harkerville WC
Vehicle: 1990 Hilux 4Y

Post by dax021 »

Hi Andy, thanks. Ja I tried this way and that way and couldn't make sense of it. Maybe I was just too dof and it's time to dig it out of the box and have a relook. Also, might just have got the wrong style valve. The beauty of living at the coast is that a heater is not really essential, would be nice for a couple of months a year, but quite manageable without
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

:thumbup:

Return to “The Workshop”