Hilux KZTE 3L 4x4, stiff Differential or Transfer Case?

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Dan_Eshowe
Town: ESHOWE
Vehicle: Hilux KZTE 3L 4x4

Hilux KZTE 3L 4x4, stiff Differential or Transfer Case?

Post by Dan_Eshowe »

Dear All,

I need some advice here - I own a Hilux 4x4 3L KZTE 2003 model. I have noticed that when I engage 4x4 low mode, the vehicle is very "stiff" on take off - ie. when engaged I can park the vehicle on an incline without the handbrake and in neutral - yet the vehicle does not roll forward? Even when taking off in first I can feel the vehicle needing more power to take off.

Is this normal, or do I perhaps have a problem I need to look at? I have a few old trucks (early 80's landys), and I haven't noticed the same issue on them.

Any and all feedback welcome.

Regards,
Dan
Tim86
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux

Re: Hilux KZTE 3L 4x4, stiff Differential or Transfer Case?

Post by Tim86 »

Is it not stiff in 4x4 high?
Jack the front up, engage hubs, leave transfer in 2wd high, and turn the front wheels and propshaft all separately by hand to feel if anything is binding.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Hi and welcome Daniel. A most unusual problem that I've not come across before. It sounds to me like there might be some diff "wind-up". Of course this is just a guess, but it can occur if there has been a diff replacement of an incorrect diff ratio (do you know the history of the vehicle?) .... it can also happen to a lesser degree if the tyre sizes are not exactly the same all around ... this can occur when one uses a spare that is new while the other tyres have a lot of wear ... the circumferences differ. Just a thought.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Dan_Eshowe
Town: ESHOWE
Vehicle: Hilux KZTE 3L 4x4

Post by Dan_Eshowe »

Tim86 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:48 pm Is it not stiff in 4x4 high?
Jack the front up, engage hubs, leave transfer in 2wd high, and turn the front wheels and propshaft all separately by hand to feel if anything is binding.
Thank you, let me try that tomorrow and see, never thought of that.
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

Start with checking all 4 tyres is the same size and prefrably brand. Then your next option is a diff ratio check.
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Any feedback here?
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

Return to “The Workshop”