2018 Toyota Hilux Brake shoes uneven wear

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
faiyaz
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: lusaka
Vehicle: toyota hilux ln65 4x4 dlx s/c

2018 Toyota Hilux Brake shoes uneven wear

Post by faiyaz »

Hi all, recently purchased a 2018 Hilux 4x4 s/c. Decided to give it a service and go through the suspension and brakes. When I removed the rear rhs brake drum, the shoe facing to the front was worn out much more than the one facing the rear (picture attached)Image infact the bottom section of the shoe looked unused, the same was the case on the lhs. The brake shoes are geniune toyota, the vehicle has done 125000+km, guessing they were the ones that came fitted from factory. Anyone else facing the above problem with their brake shoes or have a solution. Would also appreciate if someone could share the workshop manual to verify if the springs and shoes are assembled correctly on the backing plate. Attached also are some pictures of the current setup of the brake shoe.
Attachments
IMG_20230205_140101.jpg
IMG_20230205_140058.jpg
IMG_20230205_140040.jpg
hilux raider ln65 4x4 s/c
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Re: 2018 Toyota Hilux Brake shoes uneven wear

Post by pietpetoors »

It is normal. The front shoe work harder. The rear shoe is the trailing shoe. When you apply brakes the shoes moves slightly in the direction of drum rotation until stopped by the force against the drum. They kind of squeeze against the drum. That is why front will always wear more. Rear bottom will wear the least of all, front bottom the most.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
dax021
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Harkerville WC
Vehicle: 1990 Hilux 4Y

Post by dax021 »

Interesting. So would it make sense to swap shoes around say every 30K kms? Something like wheel rotation.
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Never thought about it that way but yes, swopping them around might give you a bit more life out of it, but for the effort I will not bother. By the time the lining is finish on the worse part, the better part only have like a couple of mm left.
Rear shoes can last as much as 100,000km in some cases because they do not work hard.

You will have to swop the whole set from left wheel to right wheel
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
dax021
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Harkerville WC
Vehicle: 1990 Hilux 4Y

Post by dax021 »

Agreed, would probably work, but not worth the effort. Might swap my front pads side to side though. Left hand side is leaking through the swivel seal, so 90% of my braking is on the right front wheel. Takes some getting used to.
faiyaz
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: lusaka
Vehicle: toyota hilux ln65 4x4 dlx s/c

Post by faiyaz »

noted, good to know its normal!
hilux raider ln65 4x4 s/c

Return to “The Workshop”