Hilux D4D Boost Issue!

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Rosh Rox
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Umhlanga
Vehicle: Hilux D4D 4x4 DC

Hilux D4D Boost Issue!

Post by Rosh Rox »

Hi. I am not sure if this is a problem someone has had before, but i am just looking for some advice. My 2010 1kd Hilux with 285000km runs great with no problems except i feel it could do with a bit more power. This is where i feel like there is a problem with the actual turbo. I get around 0.9 bar boost from my turbo at most times, but every now and again i get 1.3 bar and the car drives like i feel it should do. Pulls and has loads of torque. The only issue is that when it does get 1.3 bar i hear a light whine or whistle from the turbo. After a short drive it goes back to 0.9 bar and does not change again. I have borrowed and replaced the turbo actuator, Map sensor, Maf sensor and still exactly the same. Is it the turbo thats just worn and needs replacing or could it be the actuator? I would love it to stay with the 1.3 bar boost as its just drives so much better. I have a throttle controler fitted and disconnect it to check if it made any difference but still the same. Should i get the turbo checked or could it be something else. The fact that it whines when i get good boost make me think the turbo is worn and just old. Any ideas?

Sent from my SM-A336E using Tapatalk

Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Re: Hilux D4D Boost Issue!

Post by Thabogrobler »

My guess would be the actuator - but it only a guess!

Maybe add some injector cleaner with the next fill-up and see if that makes a difference?
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
Hansie1992
Town: Kathu
Vehicle: Hilux D4-D 3.0 4x4 Manuel

Post by Hansie1992 »

Morning

As far as I know the boost should be around 0.9bar for a hilux, if you are interested in servicing the turbo, I have a guy I know that can supply you with the internal turbo parts. This will cost about R1700 and the turbo will be as new, except if you have damage on the casing. Normally this is not the case.
Rosh Rox
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Umhlanga
Vehicle: Hilux D4D 4x4 DC

Post by Rosh Rox »

Ok great thanks very much. Will check out all options. I really like the 1.3 boost but also worried it might damage the motor or turbo.

Sent from my SM-A336E using Tapatalk

Hansie1992
Town: Kathu
Vehicle: Hilux D4-D 3.0 4x4 Manuel

Post by Hansie1992 »

I can honestly say that keeping the Hilux as standard as possible will improve lifetime on the vehicle. It’s built for reliability, I have a Ford for going to work and back, much faster and more fuel economic, but I won’t take my family anywhere with it as there is a lot of issues.

I have done a mapping on my D4-D. Does improve a lot in power, but my fuel economy is about the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “The Workshop”