4 Low Range Gear Selection

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Stallion
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Dar Es Salaam
Vehicle: Hilux Raider YN67R, South African Specification

4 Low Range Gear Selection

Post by Stallion »

Afternoon Mud Dog & all here,

Reference is made to the above subject matter.

I need to know the following;

1. If I start with 3rd Gear Low Range on an uphill muddy surface or Bog Holes or River Crossings, is it a good gear to select? I've been using 2nd Gear Low Range on all the above-mentioned surfaces, but I'd once tried on 3rd Gear Low Range on an uphill muddy surface, and she performed very well and the momentum built was excellent. I just want to be sure if I could regularly use 3rd Gear Low Range on these kinds of surfaces in order to build momentum by keeping the engine rev low wherever applicable.

I normally keep my revs between 1,500 to 2,000 rpm on 2nd Gear Low Range, as between those RPMs and gear selection, the wheel slippage is very minimum, and that's what you want on muddy roads, to have minimum wheel slippage so that you don't bog the vehicle down, but was thinking if I could normally lift of on 3rd Gear Low Range, to could get more momentum, low engine revs and minimum wheel slippage if I kept my revs between 1,500 to 2,000 RPMs.

Regards
Shermohamed

N.B: Mud Dog: I am back to my Old Account now as you suggested, and have changed my password, I'd like my username to be Stallion on this old account if it's possible.
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Re: 4 Low Range Gear Selection

Post by Haboob »

The gear change will work as long as you are not riding your clutch to pull off in 3rd gear (Depends on the incline and how thick the mud is).
Using the handbrake a little to get started can also prevent unnecessary wheel spin ...
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
Stallion
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Dar Es Salaam
Vehicle: Hilux Raider YN67R, South African Specification

Re: 4 Low Range Gear Selection

Post by Stallion »

Good evening Haboob,

Thanks for your response to my query, and yes, I always avoid riding the clutch, as that would wear down the clutch plate, unless if I installed a copper clutch :D:

Thanks once again for your response on this.

Regards
Shermohamed

Return to “The Workshop”