Hilux Jumping out of low range

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Hilix242
Town: Ravenswood
Vehicle: Hilux

Hilux Jumping out of low range

Post by Hilix242 »

Hello. I'm new to this forum but would like some help with a baffling problem I'm having with my 1991 2.8d 4wd hilux jumping out of low range. Thought it was transfer case replaced gearbox. Still jumping out. Replaced shifter still. Replaced front tail sharft/diff centre/ replaced both cvs/hubs replaced gear box mounts/engine mounts now I'm starting to run out of things to replace

Any.ideas what could be making this occur.. I'm totally baffled...doesn't jump out of any other gear but low range. Pleeeeaaaaseeeee help
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Hilux Jumping out of low range

Post by Mud Dog »

Welcome Hayden! :thumbup:

If it's only low range, then the problem is in the X-fer case, not the gearbox. you might want to look at the condition of the bushings inside the LR shifter housing and on the shifter shaft / lever end. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Hilix242

Post by Hilix242 »

Replaced whole box/xfer case.. different shifter in it. Do they have an adjuster inside where the stick goes at all? Doesn't jump out of any other gear but L4
FIRSTGEER
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: King WilliamsTown
Vehicle: 2,5 D4D Singlr Cab 4X4 Full OME suspension. snorkel.GMA aftermarket bullbar.
Club VHF Licence: HC 109

Post by FIRSTGEER »

Howzit Hayden. If you engage 4wd high ratio and drive does it stay in gear. Does it only jump out of gear whilst engaged in low ratio
Hilix242

Post by Hilix242 »

Nah it only jumps out of low range
FIRSTGEER
Town: King WilliamsTown
Vehicle: 2,5 D4D Singlr Cab 4X4 Full OME suspension. snorkel.GMA aftermarket bullbar.
Club VHF Licence: HC 109

Post by FIRSTGEER »

Another thing to check which might seem silly, is the clearance around the selector lever on the rubber boot and housing.
Seems very strange for the replacement transfer box doing the same thing as the original one
Hilix242

Post by Hilix242 »

I'm thinking that may be the problem feels like it's going into gear but may not be going in fully I'll check it out

Return to “The Workshop”