Limited slip diff , 1993 , SFA.

Hilux, Surf and Fortuner Spares for sale
Forum rules
When advertising something in this section the following rules apply:
1. You must include the price in the subject line and / or in the post.If you don't specify a price we will delete your ad.Click here if you are unsure
2. You must upload a photo. If you don't upload a photo we will delete your ad. Click here to find out how
3. If it is an "auction" item you must state so in the subject line instead of the price. Auctions can be valid for a maximum period of 14 days.
4. It must be 4x4/outdoor/vehicle related.
5. Once the items has been sold you must edit your post and put SOLD in the subject line.
EXAMPLE: Set of 31" BF Tyres for sale - R3500
or SOLD - Set of 31" BF Tyres for sale - R3500 - SOLD
6. Don't be a spammer. Introduce yourself and be part of the forum before trying to place an ad.
7. You MUST have a minimum Post Count of 10 before advertising here.
Baby Cruiser
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Swellendam
Vehicle: 2005 3.0 D4D D/C

Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:23 pm

I would like to know if anybody could be of help.
I am looking for any spares on import SFA limited slip diffs. I have the import diffs without the limited slip and would like to upgrade to limited slip. Seems to me it would be the least expensive way to upgrade.
Does any body know where one gets the spares for the ls if not secondhand or if there were other makes also fitted with the same diffs.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:43 pm

I know that LSD's were available for the SFA import diff. Not common in RSA, think they were imported from the USA and Oz.

I strongly suspect that finding one will take some perseverance and patience. Contact the local gearbox and diff centres and put the word out that you're looking - you might have to follow up every now and then.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Baby Cruiser
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:57 am

Thank you Muddog wil be keeping my eyes and ears open.
Poffie
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: George
Vehicle: Hilux SFA

Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:35 pm

Hi Baby Cruiser l installed a Detroit locker for a friend of mine it was very long ago but I know he had a option between a Detroit and a Tru-Track I wil ask him if he can give us some information.
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:40 pm

Detroit and TrueTrack are both auto engaging, not something I like at all .... will scare the soiling out of you when it suddenly locks up in traffic on the tar when you take a corner at an intersection a little too fast. They use centrifugal weights in the carrier to engage the locker .... when there is a "rapid" differential that's sustained for a second or two and the carrier "spins" the locker engages and locks the spider gears). Not the most robust system and if memory serves, the Detroit is built stronger but the TrueTrack is more forgiving (less surprises).

An LSD is still a better option IMO. :winkx:

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Poffie
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:29 am

Hi Mud Dog the Detroit actually works with spring setup. In straight line it is locked but it has a ratchet arrangement that disengage when turning. It does effect the turning of the SFA slightly. The one we use is in the front dif. There is definitely pros and cons the one pro is that it works at slow crawling. The traditional lsd needs a bit of revs to lock effectively. The downside is that the Detroit makes klicking noises when it disengage. But all things considered it is supper strong. There is some nice videos on YouTube very informative. My two cents 😉
Scott
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Benoni

Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:20 am

there is re coned local diffs that have lockers advertised in the cape give them a call you should be able to do a trade in.
DELILA
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: MISGUND WESTERN CAPE
Vehicle: 1993 2.4d Hilux 4x4 SC

Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:57 pm

Helgaard

Kontak GEARMAX op George hulle sal jou help
Mud Dog

Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:28 pm

DELILA wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:57 pm
Helgaard

Kontak GEARMAX op George hulle sal jou help
No, they won't be able to help other than to suggest a complete rear axle swop to the local Gearmax one. They won't be able to help with the front at all. Helgaard has import jap diffs on his Hilux. The only lockers that will fit on those diffs are the Detroit and TrueTrack auto lockers, the ARB lockers and the Toyota e-locker (the Toyota electic locker will require a small modification to the Hilux import diff housing but it fits and it works). :winkx:

Baby Cruiser
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:02 am

Thank you all.
I am very lucky , I think.
A friend of mine , has offerd me one of his spare diffs as an exchange. Also an import with lsd. For starters I am going to open it and have a look at what condition it is in. I suspect the ratios could easily be the same. Then the search for the clutch plates will propably start and I will have a look to see if I could set it up for the best limmit possible and try it in the front first.
I have been on the web quite a bit lately an it seems that the most available and price wize , would be to go for the 1999 shape electric lockers. Then you have the option of choice on your side, but being who I am , are not realy keen on modifying the casing and doing the electric thing.
If I get lucky again I will do the rear also in lsd.
Thanx guys.
If any one hear about the lsd carrier , I will be very greatfull.
Baby Cruiser
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:40 am

Now it seems I have put my head in a bee hive.
My closest Toyota dealer can not find any specs or part lists on the import lsd. I have even got hold of a vehicle data plate with lsd.
Anybody have any info.
Most of all I would like to know what oil Toyota woud use.
DELILA
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: MISGUND WESTERN CAPE
Vehicle: 1993 2.4d Hilux 4x4 SC

Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:06 am

Helgaard

Praat met Kobus Kritzinger by Gearmax op George hy sal jou kan help.
Baby Cruiser
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:16 am

Dankie Barend.
Ek het vandag met Kobus gepraat. Hy kon my ongelukkig nie met onderdele help nie. Hy het glo nog nie eers een gesien nie.
Dan moet ek ook by sê dat hy baie vriendelik en behulpsaam was.
Kon my help met die regte olie en raad oor waar om te soek. Lyk my ons sal van die fabriek af moet probeer.
Poffie
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:25 am

Kobus is Gearbox &Dif Centre. Ons gebruik castrol lsd olie op 90% van die ewenaars wat friksie koppeling gebruik. Die olie rep behoord ook die regte inligting te verskaf.
Bear
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Roodepoort
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 2200 Raider D/Cab 4x4 - SFA

Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:05 pm

Hi Guys

While on the subject of oil. The manual states for the stock diff:
(4x2) ISO 460 – 85W140-GL5
(4x4) EP 90 GL5

On the next page is states:
EP 90 GL5 (front axle)
85W140GL5 (Rear axle)

I find it a little contradictory.
Is the 4x4 rear diff the same as the 4x2 diff?
Does it use a different oil as the front diff?
Travel is not really about leaving our homes, but leaving our habits.
Adventure tends to magnify all human emotions.
It's only in adventure that some people succeed in knowing themselves - in finding themselves.
Mud Dog

Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:13 pm

It does sound contradictory but the rear diffs are the same for 4x2 as for 4x4, just the ratios might vary. But here's the thing ... the front and rear diffs on the import axles are the same and the 3rd members are in fact interchangeable.

The differing oil specs can be because the rear diff is always working whereas the front is not. The rear will therefore be subjected to a lot more heat and wear. That's the one aspect but to my mind the main one is that the front diff is actually running in reverse. Low centre drive diffs have hypoid gear cuts which makes them stronger and quieter in the intended direction of drive power. while weaker and possibly noisier in the reverse direction. I think that this is why a different oil spec is given for the front.

Bear
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Roodepoort
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 2200 Raider D/Cab 4x4 - SFA

Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:19 pm

Thanks for the explanation. I guess if you not a rocket scientist you may not understand the manual.
Travel is not really about leaving our homes, but leaving our habits.
Adventure tends to magnify all human emotions.
It's only in adventure that some people succeed in knowing themselves - in finding themselves.

Return to “Spares”