VEHICLE COLOUR

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
Bester
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Paarl
Vehicle: Hilux

VEHICLE COLOUR

Post by Bester »

Hi everyone, I would appreciate your comments re colour of vehicle. Obviously white is most practical, but just how bad would a grey / gunmetal colour be on a 4x4? Will it be worse than silver or the same?

I prefer not to drive through thick bushes (although sometimes not an option) so even my current white bakkie is relatively "unscratched". I can now get a grey Hilux, or wait for two months (and a price increase) before getting a silver one. What to do?
Hilux 3.0 D4D 4x4
Imagine Trailvan
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Re: VEHICLE COLOUR

Post by CasKru »

In regards to scratches and off roading silver is actually better than white in my book and it also does not show dust that easy, I would say less than white. But that is on silver. Gunmetal or Charcoal you would probably want to steer clear of
To God be the glory
Bester
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Bester »

Thanks CasKru, I prefer silver but they are scarce.
Hilux 3.0 D4D 4x4
Imagine Trailvan
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

Had a gun metal sedan once ... never again !!!!

that thing SOAKS the heat !!

had a silver 4x4, now a white 4x4 .... both show the scratches about the same .... on a dark colour vehicle you find that the undercoat is often a lighter colour and slightly deaper scratches really shows up badly.
FIRSTGEER
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: King WilliamsTown
Vehicle: 2,5 D4D Singlr Cab 4X4 Full OME suspension. snorkel.GMA aftermarket bullbar.
Club VHF Licence: HC 109

Post by FIRSTGEER »

I agree with Cassie.I would rather have a white or silver vehicle regardless to the vehicle usage ( off roading or normal town driving) as these colours tend to hide the dirt and scratches better than most other .I would only consider buying a different coloured vehicle if the price and vehicle history denotes a real bargain.
Bester
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Bester »

Thanks guys, best would probably be to wait for the silver - my wife said no more bakkie if its going to be white :(
Hilux 3.0 D4D 4x4
Imagine Trailvan
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Paintwork scratches always have that off-white, chalky result in the scratch line, particularly so with clear-coat finishes even if it doesn't penetrate to the undercoat. The scratches are less obvious against the whites and lighter colours with whites, light beige, light grey and silver being the better 'performers'. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Johan Kriel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Okahandja
Vehicle: 2.5 SC 4x4

Post by Johan Kriel »

White , or silver, but a land cruiser is brown. :D:
Johan Kriel

Legend 50

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”