Vehicle tracking devices

Discuss anything here as long as it is clean. Having a hard time with your Skoonma, tell us about it here, or discuss the Rugby. Whatever you feel like talking about.
Niel
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Vehicle tracking devices

Post by Niel »

My insurer insist that I install a tracking device. Thus in my mind the 2 main options are Netstar and Tracker. I believe the Netstar sleuth nano is a wireless tracking device. Thus no need to tap into the vehicle wiring as far as I can figure out.

Thus 2 questions, Netstar or Tracker - pls give reasons why you select the one.

Do you know the wireless option and does it work well or is it prone to problems? I have been told that the device has a battery that will last for 3 years (not buying that but that is what they claim).
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Re: Vehicle tracking devices

Post by CasKru »

I've got Cartrack in my vehicle and they give a surety that they will pay out up to R500K (IIRC) should they not be able to find the vehicle).
To God be the glory
Toppie4x4
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0 V6 DC 4x4

Post by Toppie4x4 »

Two men were arrested (last nights news) and were in possession of a signal jammer.....................I cannot see how any tracking company can still make this claim that they "will" find your vehicle. While stealing your vehicle and still driving they start to search for the tracker, remove it and through it out of the window. Remember the signal jammer jams the signal and no tracker is functional without a signal, be it cell towers, satellite what ever. My Netstar experience were bad. I had a problem with the Mercedes as the battery were dead when the vehicle not being used for a week. Replace the battery, same story after a month. Battery centre then test the entire vehicle and found a +-7 amp power usage.........they speculate that it might be the tracker system. Took it to Netstar, unit faulty and not working, internal battery faulty. Now the best part " sir it is your responsibility to test the unit" I've also been notified that the unit were faulty for quite some time, but the monthly subscription wasn't faulty and deducted in time. Be very careful and read the small print. Dose anyone with a tracker unit knows how to test it. According to me this should be their responsibility.
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

With Cartrack you can check your vehicle movement history to some degree (haven't checked for a while so not sure what kind of detail and how long)
To God be the glory
Bugzy
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Rustenburg
Vehicle: 2015 Hilux S/C 4X4 Dakar1996 2.8D s/c 4x4 Hilux with 3CT Toyota motor
Club VHF Licence: X56

Post by Bugzy »

Ek het ook Cartrack in my Tuna. Toe ek hom toets kon hulle nie my posisie akkuraat bepaal nie maar slegs voorstad - hulle verskoning : "maybe under cover parking or trees"?????????
As hy gesteel word gee ek nie om dat hulle hom nie kry nie.........hulle gaan hoes!!
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Het nou net Cartrack gebel om my unit te toets. Soos ek kon aflei werk die unit van selfoontorings af want sy het gese die unit kommunikeer maar sy kry nie 'n posisie nie en dat die netwerk dalk net baie besig is.. so dit sê vir my selfoon torings.
To God be the glory
MOFASA
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1998 JEEP XJ 4.0............ 4 inch lift.... more mods to follow............ Old vehicle was MOFASA
Club VHF Licence: X119

Post by MOFASA »

CasKru wrote:Het nou net Cartrack gebel om my unit te toets. Soos ek kon aflei werk die unit van selfoontorings af want sy het gese die unit kommunikeer maar sy kry nie 'n posisie nie en dat die netwerk dalk net baie besig is.. so dit sê vir my selfoon torings.

And now Tough Stuff is insisting in these units being fitted if you want them to keep the toyotas insured...... :slap:

Is this unit ANY good :?: :?: :?:
Live Life in the FAST lane....
Forget the past, Embrace the FUTURE!!!!
To 4x4 or not to 4x4 thats the question....
IT'S A JEEP :yahoo: ..... You wouldn't understand....
ImageImageImage[rimg=206x128]
Toppie4x4
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Toppie4x4 »

I rest my case, a waste of money especially if it works of cell towers........................surely we are being taken for a ride here. Go do a google search on signal jammers.
Toppie4x4
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Toppie4x4 »

How to Make Your Own Cell Phone Jammer

Cell phone jammers are installed in no disturbance zones such as schools or colleges. But how exactly does this instrument jam cell phones? These jamming instruments prevent mobiles from receiving signals from the base stations. Though it may sound like a complicated process making your own cell phone jammer is not really a rocket science. You should know however that in many countries, including the USA, they are illegal and subject to large federal fines and possible criminal prosecution. Who knows what you might interfere with.
Full details how to make your own signal jammer on the net.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

CasKru wrote:With Cartrack you can check your vehicle movement history to some degree (haven't checked for a while so not sure what kind of detail and how long)
Please check the notice on their vehicles, also check the FIFTH item here -

http://www.cartrack.co.za/faqs/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The CLIENT is responsible for "testing units regularly" ....

CHECK the fine print of how often you as the client must check this unit before they will consider paying out that R150k .....

PS - Cassie I see you DID check your unit.

MOFASA see on the 4x4Com forum how many clients have walked away from TS due to this nonsense ....
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

I had a wireless tracker unit in my BMW motorcycles.

then a friend's bike got stolen - and he did NOT have the unit checked "regularly" ... no payout.

We all started having our units tested - mine had been broken a while, but as it was stil under warantee it was exchanged .... less than a year later it was exchanged again, again broken.

you had to be virtually at a tower before the unit would register on their system, so most often a test call was pretty useless as they could only confirm we last saw your bike so many weeks or months back .....

units that get wired into my vehicle - get stuffed !!

Return to “Open Discussion”