Generators?

Discuss anything here as long as it is clean. Having a hard time with your Skoonma, tell us about it here, or discuss the Rugby. Whatever you feel like talking about.
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Generators?

Post by pietpetoors »

These small generators one can buy these days, how save are they to use for computers?

Anything to look out for?
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Kykdaar
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Hilux V6

Re: Generators?

Post by Kykdaar »

pietpetoors wrote:These small generators one can buy these days, how save are they to use for computers?

Anything to look out for?
Reliability and Voltage Regulator.

I got one of these -

http://www.honda.co.za/en/products/powe ... /ep2500cx/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

Pieter ek het een van daai chinese versions gekoop destyds toe die loadshedding begin het (of te wel ek dink dit is chinese... het dit nog by Makro gekoop as ek reg onthou).

Ek leen myne nou vir ons kerk want die krag gaan daar baie gereeld af en dit tydens dienste. Ons gebruik hom daar om die rekenaar, klank bord, die band se instrumente en projektor te dryf en sover kan ek se hardloop alles mooi en geen issues nie
To God be the glory
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

We have a small UPS to protect the server. If I extend the wire which goes to its battery to connect to a 105Ah deep cycle outside the box, then it should work much longer? Will it work?

My other alternative is to get a gennie

Power normally off only 2 to 2.5 hours.

Most of our computers are laptops.
We need to run the server, ADSL router and at least one printer (HP Laser 1120)
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

pietpetoors wrote:We have a small UPS to protect the server. If I extend the wire which goes to its battery to connect to a 105Ah deep cycle outside the box, then it should work much longer? Will it work?

My other alternative is to get a gennie

Power normally off only 2 to 2.5 hours.

Most of our computers are laptops.
We need to run the server, ADSL router and at least one printer (HP Laser 1120)
Keep in mind that only online/inline UPS's offer you protection as you effectively run from it's battery pack all the time. The offline versions have a battery pack to which it switches to the second the AC feed drops.

PC power supplies run between 450W and 1000w depending on the size of the PSU. Router and printer uses much less.

To know what size (more or less) gennie you need wattage you want to run devided by 0.8 which gives you a ball park figure of the size of the gennie you need. Ex. 2000w / 0.8 = 2.5Kva gennie
To God be the glory
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Pieter, why not just connect the UPS and computer stuff to a decent (modified/pure sine wave) inverter using the deep cycle battery while the power is out?
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Willem01
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: het nie 1 nie

Post by Willem01 »

extending that wire? - -I did that and I fried the ups it was a 600 amp unit that have 2 small 7.5A 12v batteries then I connected 2 x 40amp to keep it on 24v cycle as it was with the small 7.5A....it lasted for only 2min must be something about the mosfets in the unit rating that is not capable of charging the big 40amp i think :thumbdown: ....
so I have another spare ups on the shelf but dont want the smoke to get out of this also...
mcw
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: krugersdorp
Vehicle: Prado 90 V6 3.4 Auto
Club VHF Licence: X100

Post by mcw »

I Have a Yamaha EF2400IS ,2000 watt pure sine wave very quiet ,which i use at Vaaldam to run the fridges etc use about 8 liters fuel in 8 hour ,very quiet can recommend this model

Martin
Attachments
yamaha.docx
(27.74 KiB) Downloaded 95 times

Return to “Open Discussion”