Puncture repair - snot plug

Discuss anything here as long as it is clean. Having a hard time with your Skoonma, tell us about it here, or discuss the Rugby. Whatever you feel like talking about.
Niel
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Puncture repair - snot plug

Post by Niel »

Does snot plugs have a useful life period or shelve life. In other words must it be used in a specific period? I so why?
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Re: Puncture repair - snot plug

Post by CasKru »

Niel wrote:Does snot plugs have a useful life period or shelve life. In other words must it be used in a specific period? I so why?
Snot plugs is a temporary fix and you are actually supposed to have then replaced with mushroom plugs as soon as possible.

That said, they usually last as long as the remaining tread of the tyre but can become dry and start leaking slowly.

Regarding the shelve life..... have never seen a sell by or use by date on any
To God be the glory
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

Niel, do you mean the plugs before they are used? I dont think they can expire or "go off"... If they feel non sticky just add copious amounts of "solution" and they will work. I also still have a few quite old ones in my kit, but they are getting less and less... :thumbup: :thumbup:

As Cassie says, its just a temporary fix, but you knew that already, didnt you?? :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Niel
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Post by Niel »

I was actually referring to the period before use. On another forum they indicate the shelve life as 24 months for the actual plug. I was also of the opinion that the time frame was a lot longer.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Don't think they 'expire' but would rather not use an old one that has become 'dry'.

I know that they are supposed to be temporary but have often just left them in place instead of the hassle of replacing with a mushroom plug / re-balancing etc., sometimes for a couple of years and they never leaked or came out. ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Post by Haboob »

Niel, the best way to preserve snot plugs is to keep them as moist as possible by keeping them out of air. Wrap individually in cling wrap and they will not dry out as easily and will last a very long time. You can then also close them up in a small tupperware/plastic airtight container. Keep a small tube of solution on hand to use with the plug. Trim plug after use to have less chance of it pulling out when crawling, especially over rocky terrain.
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"

Return to “Open Discussion”