Question: Diff lock modification

Discuss modifications on your late 1998 to 2005 IFS Hilux here.
Velo son
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: IFS 2.7i 4x4. IPF spotlights. Duel battery system. Custom roofrack.

Question: Diff lock modification

Post by Velo son »

I am referring to the diff lock modification where you cut a wire and earth it so that the diff lock will engage while you are in 2H, 4H and 4L, not only while you are in 4L. http://www.hilux4x4.co.za/hilux-diff-lock-mod/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Many modifications can be easily done and these are very effective (diff breathers ect.). Thus, thery are very popular on the forum. But when it comes to the diff lock modification I noticed it is not very popular although its effective and very practical. Are there some of you who dislike this modification, and why? Or is it just coincidence that this modification is not popular?

Thanks
Life starts when the tarmac ends.
I'll only lose my way in the city lights.
I'd rather be lost in the woods, than found in the city.
Cleaner
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 4l V6 4x4 Auto
Club VHF Licence: X31

Re: Question: Diff lock modification

Post by Cleaner »

Hmmmmmm ask Cassie what the disadvantages are of having diff-lock on in 2H. It is not always a bad thing, you just need to focus a little more.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk
ImageImageImage
"Every loaf of bread is tragic story of grains that could've become beer, but didn't. - Walter Thornburgh"
"The best cure for Sea Sickness, is to sit under a tree. - Spike Milligan"
Tarquin
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Plettenberg Bay
Vehicle: Toyota 2.8D D/C 4x4 & Toyota 2.4D single 4x2

Post by Tarquin »

its very effective, because often you need some momentum to get up a dune or over a hill so you need to be in high but still have a diff loc.
i have a gearmax diff loc and myne works in high and low. if i baught a ifs i think that would be my first mod :thumbup: :thumbup:
Velo son
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: IFS 2.7i 4x4. IPF spotlights. Duel battery system. Custom roofrack.

Post by Velo son »

Cleaner wrote:Hmmmmmm ask Cassie what the disadvantages are of having diff-lock on in 2H. It is not always a bad thing, you just need to focus a little more.
I agree you should remember that the difflock is on. In Cassie's case and when you go back onto tarred roads.
Tarquin wrote:its very effective, because often you need some momentum to get up a dune or over a hill so you need to be in high but still have a diff loc.
i have a gearmax diff loc and myne works in high and low. if i baught a ifs i think that would be my first mod :thumbup: :thumbup:
I Agree, I think Toyota made it like it is to make suse the diff lock is disengaged when you are done 4x4ing, but like you said, sometimes you need momentum and diff lock.
Life starts when the tarmac ends.
I'll only lose my way in the city lights.
I'd rather be lost in the woods, than found in the city.

Return to “Late 1998 to 2005 (Gen 5 aka IFS Hilux)”