2.7 Hilux Engine Cut-out

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Frederick Lange
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Randburg
Vehicle: Hilux 2.7 (2001), FJ Cruiser, Land Cruiser Pickup, Mercedes Benz Viano (Swambo), Mercedes Benz A180 CDI

2.7 Hilux Engine Cut-out

Post by Frederick Lange »

The Hilux I bought has a problem, sometimes when driving the engine just cuts out and then all is dead for about 30 minutes. After 30 minutes it starts as if nothing was wrong.

The seller told me the Hilux has a Steve's Auto Clinic chip in and indicated that might be the causing the problem. He had the Hilux at Toyota twice, they reckon it is the ECU. Anyone had a similar problem? I am scared to spend R6000 on the ECU and then with no guarantee that it may solve the problem. :frustrated:

Something else I noticed is that the ignition is almost in pieces. The key (no spare) is separated from the transponder chip and before starting you have to hold the transponder with the chip in, close to whatever is left from the ignition. You can only get the ignition & keys from Toyota at a cost of R5800 which obviously includes the door locks too. Anyone know of any other alternative?

Your opinions will be highly appreciated.
The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time!
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Re: 2.7 Hilux Engine Cut-out

Post by pietpetoors »

Barry is stripping a KZ, ask him for the ignition.
viewtopic.php?p=320971#p320971" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You can use your same door locks if it must, you use remote to unlock anyway, hardly ever use key for door locks and you can use normal key for doorlocks

I would first change ignition. Chances are good that ignition might be the problem.
If problem is still there see if you can borrow a ECU from someone to test before you buy new one.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
AM Racing
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: East London
Vehicle: Range Rover Classic V8

Post by AM Racing »

We have found dry solder joints on a few of the Toyota ecu's. Open the box and inspect the joints with a magnifying glasss and resolder where needed. Do this first before breaking the bank....
ImageImageImage
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

Also bypass the chip
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
Legendary
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Midrand
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Legend 35

Post by Legendary »

Hi,

Do you have a problem starting the LUX when the engine is warm/hot?

I had a vehicle that would not start if the engine was warm, this was due to a faulty "crank angle sensor" after about 30 minutes I could start the vehicle because the sensor would have reset.

Not sure if you have the same thing, but it's my 2cents worth.
They say you are what you eat, however I don't recall eating a LEGEND.
Frederick Lange
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Vehicle: Hilux 2.7 (2001), FJ Cruiser, Land Cruiser Pickup, Mercedes Benz Viano (Swambo), Mercedes Benz A180 CDI

pietpetoors wrote:Barry is stripping a KZ, ask him for the ignition.
viewtopic.php?p=320971#p320971" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You can use your same door locks if it must, you use remote to unlock anyway, hardly ever use key for door locks and you can use normal key for doorlocks

I would first change ignition. Chances are good that ignition might be the problem.
If problem is still there see if you can borrow a ECU from someone to test before you buy new one.
Thank you Piet! Have replied on his advertisement! I really hope he still has the key and ignition! A great start on the responses from the forum!

AM Racing wrote:We have found dry solder joints on a few of the Toyota ecu's. Open the box and inspect the joints with a magnifying glasss and resolder where needed. Do this first before breaking the bank....
Thanks, will have a look! Might have to send you a pic to show me where to look :?:

george wrote:Also bypass the chip
Thanks George, will do!

Legendary wrote:Hi,

Do you have a problem starting the LUX when the engine is warm/hot?

I had a vehicle that would not start if the engine was warm, this was due to a faulty "crank angle sensor" after about 30 minutes I could start the vehicle because the sensor would have reset.

Not sure if you have the same thing, but it's my 2cents worth.
It is very similar to what happens. Where is the "crank angle sensor", I'm no mechanic and know very little about where parts are situated!
Frederick Lange
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Re: 2.7 Hilux Engine Cut-out error code 15?

Had some time last week and brought the Hilux home, on the way from Boksburg to Randburg the ride was smooth up to 3km from home. Engine light came on and I was stuck on the freeway :surrender:

Towed it straight to Imperial Toyota in Strijdom Park. They checked for errors, they found 2, error 14 and 15. Apparently 14 is iginition. I got an used ignition from Barrie (Ultimate 4x4).

Now on the error code 15, according to Toyota there is no such code??? Did anyone have an error code 15 before? :beg:

Return to “The Workshop”