Overhauling a complete Hilux PTA

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Big D
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: SFA Hilux 2.2 BFi

Overhauling a complete Hilux PTA

Post by Big D »

Hi all

I just bought a 1994 2.2 SFA Hilux d/c. With 270k km on the clock. I plan to do a bit of travelling and drive it daily. I would like to get the car as reliable as possible. To have the hilux checked from corner to corner. Replacing seals, bearings and getting rid of the odd rust. Check and tune the motor, as well replacing all the pipes. I want the Hilux 100% Diffs, motor gearbox, etc.

I would like to do the work myself, but then really need someone to help me out :oops: I live on a plot in doornpoort pretoria. I won’t expect the person to work for free either. :) The car isn’t in a bad condition to start with. There is actually nothing wrong. But don’t want to break down next to the road either. Anybody up for a Hilux restoration? Or get-together-to-fix-up-deon's-hilux :wink:

Or is there someone I can take the Hilux to, I would like to support the guys on the forum, without breaking the bank.

What do you think I should replace on a 14 year old Hilux? Any advice would help.

The interior needs a bit of work too.

Gaan nie nou hierdie vertaal in afr nie. Jammer Pretoria :)

Dankie / thank you

Deon
'94 lux, 3rz, Dual Tcases, 4.7, Lifted, Locked, 33"
ImageImage

"My worse fear is when i DIE, my wife will sell my car for what I told her I spent on it..."
Having a 12 second Honda is just like coming out of the closet; You're going to surprise a bunch of people, but in the end you're still gay.
leonbrink
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Pretoria East
Vehicle: Hilux

Re: Overhauling a complete Hilux PTA

Post by leonbrink »

Hi Deon,

Jy kan die nommer bel.
Gawie Rossouw
GG Dienste

Sy plek is naby DeWildt op die Garankuwa afdraai op die N4. Sy werk is uit die boonste rakke en hy is 'n Hilux spesialis. Ek kan vouch vir hulle werk. Glad ook nie duur nie.
Groete

Leon
Hilux 4.0 V6 4x4
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Meyerton
Vehicle: Prado 120 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC126

Post by JohanM »

Deon,

Ek het myne so te se oorgedoen myself en het baie geleer in die proses. Sy loop nou heel lekker en as jy wil kan ons `n plan maak dat ek bietjie `n draai kom maak op `n stadium dan gesels on oor wat als jy wil doen.

Groete

Johan Marais
082 853 5300
Johan Marais
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Hi Deon

Check out the condition of the steering arm joint, it's behind your driver's shock absorber. :!:

Pick up the front of the car then get someone to turn your steering wheel a little. If there's play in the joint then you must look at replacing it, as it's not serviceable :!:

If the joint fails you'll steer one way and your Lux will go the other way :shock: :!:

Toyota New tie rod and joint is R2,5K. :shock:

Rather have someone make up a replacement using a Dyna Truck Tie Rod, should be R1,5K max and be trouble free. :D

Cheers :wink:

Rich
Big D
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Big D »

Dankie Johan. Dit klink baie gaaf. Sal in kontak bly. Dink almal van PTA moet bietjie bymekaar kom. A meet and greet.
ImageImage

"My worse fear is when i DIE, my wife will sell my car for what I told her I spent on it..."
Having a 12 second Honda is just like coming out of the closet; You're going to surprise a bunch of people, but in the end you're still gay.
Big D
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Big D »

Thanks Rich. Dont want that to happen :shock:
ImageImage

LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 1996

Post by LouisZ »

Deon,

Bly jy het by die huis gekom. Roep as jy hulp nodig het. Ek sal raad gee, onthou net as jy brandstof ingooi dat die bakkie petrol gebruik en nie diesel. Ek ry nie weer agter 'n rookskerm nie.

Joke net. Kry iemand wat weet wat hy doen, en doen dit saam met die persoon. Dit sal maak dat jy jou bakkie leer ken en self dit kan doen.

Groette,
Louis
SYRON CONVERSIONS
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Tamboekieland
Vehicle: SFA HILUX

Post by SYRON CONVERSIONS »

To repair the trac bar ball joints will cost less than R1 500. see other thread concerning that issue.
1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Meyerton
Vehicle: Prado 120 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC126

Post by JohanM »

Deon,

Dit klink na `n goeie idee, dan kan ons almal sommer bietjie lekker kuier. Laat weet my maar wanneer en dan maak ons `n plan.
Johan Marais

Return to “The Workshop”