Heater STILL not working . . . What do I try next?

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
SideKick
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux '89 2.2 (4Y) EFI D/C 4x4, Mikem Suspension, PowerFlow Exhaust, BroSpeed Branch, 31" M/T, Long Range Fuel Tank, Front Diff-Lock
Club VHF Licence: X108

Heater STILL not working . . . What do I try next?

Post by SideKick »

Hi guys

So I'm busy trying to get my Hilux's heater working. What I could see what was wrong was the cable under the dash controlling the heater warm water valve was broken:
IMG_0588.JPG
(112.13 KiB) Downloaded 959 times
So I thought that the warm water valve probably seized, and the previous owner tried to force it and snapped the cable.

So what I did was get one of those VW valves and put it in. Since the cable is not connected up, I opened the valve up by hand, but I still only get freezing cold air blowing into my cabin :blackeye: I felt the water pype on both sides of the valve, and they are both warm, so there is warm water flowing through there . . .

Where do I look next to fix this?

Thanks!!!
Stress: :irate: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's desire to choke the living $H!t out of some asshole that desperately deserves it!
519franco
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Richards bay
Vehicle: 87 Hilux 3L v6 Ford

Re: Heater STILL not working . . . What do I try next?

Post by 519franco »

where did you get the valve and how does it look. cause if i try to get valve it hard to explain
HAPPILY BUILD 3L V6 1987 TOYOTA HILUX
viewtopic.php?f=136&t=18393" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
FORD> Full Off Road Damnation
FORD> Its not oil leaks,, its swearing power
Sponser: MY DAD
Builder: ME: FRANCO DU PLESSIS
SideKick
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux '89 2.2 (4Y) EFI D/C 4x4, Mikem Suspension, PowerFlow Exhaust, BroSpeed Branch, 31" M/T, Long Range Fuel Tank, Front Diff-Lock

Post by SideKick »

519franco wrote:where did you get the valve and how does it look. cause if i try to get valve it hard to explain
Toyota wants R1080 for the valve, so I got a VW pirate part and put it in like here:

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=3306&start=4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stress: :irate: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's desire to choke the living $H!t out of some asshole that desperately deserves it!
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

There are two cables connected to that control lever .... one operates the valve while the other operates a flap which allows the air through the little radiator into the cab. Could be that that flap is still closed and so no warm air. ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
SideKick

Post by SideKick »

Mud Dog wrote:There are two cables connected to that control lever .... one operates the valve while the other operates a flap which allows the air through the little radiator into the cab. Could be that that flap is still closed and so no warm air. ;-)
That second cable is still connected and I can hear the flap opening and closing . . .

Should I try and open it up and check? Is that difficult? Do I need to take out the dash to do that?

Thanks!
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

Is that flap you are referring to not just to change between circulating air inside the cabin or to open the vent to allow air in from the outside?
To God be the glory
SideKick

Post by SideKick »

CasKru wrote:Is that flap you are referring to not just to change between circulating air inside the cabin or to open the vent to allow air in from the outside?
Nope. That is on another switch. Top right I think.

The one I'm referring to is the bottom left switch that sets the temperature . . .
GeorgeJvR
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Louis Trichardt
Vehicle: 2008 Prado 4.0 V6, 1989 SFA S/C 2.2 1998 SFA LTD 22RE

Post by GeorgeJvR »

Do you have an A/C?
To Buy and sell a vehicle is my hobby
Make a deal that no one else thought possible is my aim

Kom wat wil ek bly 'n Bul!
GeorgeJvR
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by GeorgeJvR »

If not remove the "glove compartment" and then remove the vent right behind it "if you dont have an A/C, that is"
check in the center box if any thing moves when you switch the lever
Cubby out.JPG
Cubby out.JPG (86.47 KiB) Viewed 8044 times

Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

I used a corolla/conquest heater valve on Bolt, 2nd hand unit, the configuration was similar to the SFA's so fitment was much easier than the VW unit! Caryota in Kuilsriver should have good condition 2nd hand units.
SideKick

Post by SideKick »

GeorgeJvR wrote:If not remove the "glove compartment" and then remove the vent right behind it "if you dont have an A/C, that is"
check in the center box if any thing moves when you switch the lever
The attachment Cubby out.JPG is no longer available
Hi

Yes, I have a aircon. But I did follow that cable to here behind my center console:
photo (1).JPG
(135.9 KiB) Downloaded 928 times
Do I take that black box out and open it up?

And do I need to take out my entire dash for that?
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

SideKick wrote:
Do I take that black box out and open it up?

And do I need to take out my entire dash for that?
Unfortunately... yes... :evil:
GeorgeJvR
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by GeorgeJvR »

Call me zero 82 4one9 2359

If that cable moves the link you should be able to hear it "FLAP" over
There might be some blockage.

Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

Hmmmm .... strange! If the 2nd cable is still connected to the flap and you can hear it open / close then I think you might have one or both of two other possible problems ...... The airflow over the radiator is restricted, could be that the radiator fins are clogged with debris ... or ..... the radiator itself is cloged internally and needs to be flushed.

Without taking anything out, set the fan to it's highest position and the airflow to the upper vents only .... close the two side vents manually so that all the airflow is directed to the centre vents. While the fan runs, feel if the airflow volume changes when you switch between hot and cold on the heater lever. Also do the same when switching between inside / outside air. That should indicate whether there is a restriction somewhere.

With the motor running, heater and fan set to full, check the difference in temp between the supply and return pipes to the radiator. The return should be a little cooler but should still be very hot .... if not, then there is a restriction of water flow through the radiator.

Hope this helps you find the problem. ;-)

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Mountain Man
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: South Africa
Vehicle: Land Cruiser 79 Series 4.5 EFi

Post by Mountain Man »

If you don't have a thermostat the air never gets hot enough to notice.
Just because it says "4WD" doesn't make it an off-road vehicle.
SideKick

Post by SideKick »

Mud Dog wrote:With the motor running, heater and fan set to full, check the difference in temp between the supply and return pipes to the radiator. The return should be a little cooler but should still be very hot .... if not, then there is a restriction of water flow through the radiator.
Hi

I checked it like you said and this pype is cold:
IMG_0603.JPG
(180.44 KiB) Downloaded 887 times
Is that the correct pype comming out?

And if so, where / how do I check for a restiction? (Sorry if it's a stupid question)
The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1994 2.2 4y 4x4 D/C Toyota Hi-Lux
Club VHF Licence: X93-

Post by The Legend »

Stephan,

If the water circulate properly that pipe with the red circle should also be hot.I am a bit confuse because you said the pipe is cold but in the beginning of your thread you said it is warm.Or do i miss something?
“A BAD DAYS FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAYS WORK”

“Do what you do so well, that the people that see you do it, will want to see you do it again,and will bring others to see you do it”
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

There has to be a water flow restriction somewhere .... either it's the valve that's not opening inside or the heater radiator is clogged. The valve would be the easiest to eliminate so start there .... disconnect it so that you can see the workings inside and make sure it's open. Try blow through with the circled pipe disconnected ..... if you cannot blow through, it's the radiator. If that's the case, you can try blowing it back with a bit of compressed air, but be gentle .... you could blow the radiator as they are not designed to withstand high pressure .... (if nothing is passing through, then a radiator flush wouldn't work either).

Mikie
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Kyalami
Vehicle: Hilux 2006 3.0D4D 2x4 DC

Post by Mikie »

Keep a blanket in your bakkie?? :-)
SideKick

Post by SideKick »

Lollie wrote:Stephan,

If the water circulate properly that pipe with the red circle should also be hot.I am a bit confuse because you said the pipe is cold but in the beginning of your thread you said it is warm.Or do i miss something?
Where the water goes in it is hot, there by the valve. It's hot before the valve, and after the valve between the valve and the firewall. So the warm water is there and it goes throught the valve.

But where it comes back out of the firewall, there where I circled in red, it is cold.
Mud Dog wrote:There has to be a water flow restriction somewhere .... either it's the valve that's not opening inside or the heater radiator is clogged. The valve would be the easiest to eliminate so start there .... disconnect it so that you can see the workings inside and make sure it's open.
I put in a cheap VW Valve that is open and working :thumbup:
Mud Dog wrote:Try blow through with the circled pipe disconnected ..... if you cannot blow through, it's the radiator.
Don't you mean if I CAN blow through, then it's the radiator?
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

No... if you can't blow through then the heat exchange radiator in the cab is probably blocked.
SideKick

Post by SideKick »

Mr_B wrote:No... if you can't blow through then the heat exchange radiator in the cab is probably blocked.
Ahh :slap:

I was thinking RADIATOR radiator. The big one . . . Didn't know about the second one in the cab . . .

Thanks guys!!! Will check that this afternoon :thumbup:
GeorgeJvR
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by GeorgeJvR »

This is what it looks like in side the dash
Vent box with radiator R2000 (2).jpg
Vent box with radiator R2000 (2).jpg (39.93 KiB) Viewed 7959 times
Vent box with radiator R2000 (3).jpg
Vent box with radiator R2000 (3).jpg (36.18 KiB) Viewed 7959 times
Vent box with radiator R2000.jpg
Vent box with radiator R2000.jpg (40.84 KiB) Viewed 7959 times

SideKick

Post by SideKick »

Mr_B wrote:No... if you can't blow through then the heat exchange radiator in the cab is probably blocked.
I'm not very good with blowing :angel: But I gave it my best shot . . . and nothing . . .

So I'll be taking out my dash to get to the radiator to see if I can get this blockage cleaned out . . .

Thanks guys!!!
The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1994 2.2 4y 4x4 D/C Toyota Hi-Lux
Club VHF Licence: X93-

Post by The Legend »

SideKick wrote:
I'm not very good with blowing :angel: But I gave it my best shot . . . and nothing . . .

So I'll be taking out my dash to get to the radiator to see if I can get this blockage cleaned out . . .

Thanks guys!!!
Is dit nie die Gunstons ciggies wat hule tol eis nie :lol: :lol: :lol:
“A BAD DAYS FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAYS WORK”

“Do what you do so well, that the people that see you do it, will want to see you do it again,and will bring others to see you do it”
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

If you have access to a compressor, give it a try first to blow it back, but use the regulated pressure connection (not direct off the tank) and turn the regulator down to below 1 bar .... maybe about 0.8 ..... don't really know off-hand what pressure the cooling system operates at but you could check the pressure value on the radiator cap to determine a safe pressure. Might just save you hauling out the dash. ;-)

SideKick

Post by SideKick »

Mud Dog wrote:If you have access to a compressor, give it a try first to blow it back, but use the regulated pressure connection (not direct off the tank) and turn the regulator down to below 1 bar .... maybe about 0.8 ..... don't really know off-hand what pressure the cooling system operates at but you could check the pressure value on the radiator cap to determine a safe pressure. Might just save you hauling out the dash. ;-)
Don't have a compressor . . . :problem:

But going to take the dash out anyway to take care of a rust / leaking problem that developed in the corners behind the dash . . .

Return to “The Workshop”