Another KZ-TE almost burnt

Discuss anything here as long as it is clean. Having a hard time with your Skoonma, tell us about it here, or discuss the Rugby. Whatever you feel like talking about.
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 2002 3.0KZ-TE 4x4, Eazyawn RTT, Snorkel, NudgeM Bumper, 38mm Ball Joint Spacers, 35" Maxxis Bighorns, Dastek Unichip, 60 ltr Snomaster fridge/freezer, 40mm body lift, Mikem front/rear with extended shackles, Bilsteins shox rear
Club VHF Licence: X122

Another KZ-TE almost burnt

Post by Donkey »

Here goes:

Last Sunday decided to take the truck to stretch its legs and went to my nience's birthday (4yrs) in Springs. We got there and all was fine. When we left in the evening the truck started normally and only drove no more than a kilometer :shock2: and just stalled.

Then I realised the park lights were off, replaced fuse and they were on again and the truck started, but just then there was smoke bellowing from the engine bay :shock2: , and when I realised this switched off the engine, opened the bonnet and reached for my exstinguisher. Below the fuse box wires were glowing red smothering, but I managed to extinguish them and luckily had the Leatherman nearby so I could disconnect the negative of the battery also. During the smothering the truck was also cranking, trying to start itself though key was not in the ignition, but cranked until battery was almost flat, but by then the terminal was almost off .

Within mins Tracker called as they got a battery disconnected signal, to which I confirmed and also requested a flatbed to tow the truck home, since they knew where I was. Got home safely and by 03:30 was in bed, thanks to Sebata for being :thumbup: on standby.

Next morning I took the whole fuse box off and some wires are so badly burnt it would be impossible to trace by colour and some have burnt as close as below the bonnet hinges, on the firewall. From what I could figure out this has been going on for a very long time, even way before I got the truck, and Sunday was just the D day.

My question is whether this is something insurance would cover or not? :think: And if not then I'm in the market for a harness including main fuse box, leading to the small fusebox behind the kick panel on the driver side. Also who would be a good auto electrician in the Jo'burg area to take the truck to?
Tumelo Maketekete
Donkey, simple and often misunderstood.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, but we grow old because we stop playing!

2002 - 3.0KZ-TE Toyota Hilux (Letebele)
1994 - 1.6i Gl Toyota Corolla (Platkar)
1990 - Gli TwinCam 16v (ZuluBoy)

ImageImage
zepplin
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Crooza VX 80 EFI
Club VHF Licence: HC 127

Re: Another KZ-TE almost burnt

Post by zepplin »

Close shave!! Glad you saved the vehicle.
Crooza VX 80 efi - fully locked.
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Sjoe....that's not nice at all to hear.... :thumbdown: Glad it was not worse :wink2:
GeorgeJvR
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Louis Trichardt
Vehicle: 2008 Prado 4.0 V6, 1989 SFA S/C 2.2 1998 SFA LTD 22RE

Post by GeorgeJvR »

:wth:
To Buy and sell a vehicle is my hobby
Make a deal that no one else thought possible is my aim

Kom wat wil ek bly 'n Bul!
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: 2002 3.0KZ-TE 4x4, Eazyawn RTT, Snorkel, NudgeM Bumper, 38mm Ball Joint Spacers, 35" Maxxis Bighorns, Dastek Unichip, 60 ltr Snomaster fridge/freezer, 40mm body lift, Mikem front/rear with extended shackles, Bilsteins shox rear

Post by Donkey »

Very close shave indeed, George the KZ you were stripping was it badly burnt up front?
Tumelo Maketekete
We don't stop playing because we grow old, but we grow old because we stop playing!

ImageImage
Sebata
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Cosmo City
Vehicle: '06 Hilux 4.0l V6 auto 4x4, Iron-Man front bumper, Ali3n Rock-sliders, Old man Suspention, Snokel, 31" Pireli Scorpion Muds
Club VHF Licence: X125

Post by Sebata »

ja what a bummer :thumbdown: , got sober as soon as he send the SMS to advice of misfortune :thumbdown: , atleast monday was a off day & managed to catch up while he was busy tracing the burned out wires :shock:
Tau Sello
Sebata, Lion enjoys hunting with Hynas...
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

Eish Donkey.Thats not nice :thumbdown:
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

Glad you could react so quickly. I'm sure your insurer would assist. I mean you saved it from totally burning out by quick thinking and that would have been much more costly
To God be the glory
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Donkey »

Crossing my fingers :thumbup:
Tumelo Maketekete

ImageImage
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Not a nice experience, Tumelo .... glad you guys are all OK and that there was not injury or further damage. I'm sure that the insurers will come to the party .... as Cassie says, if you hadn't reacted the way you did, then they would be looking at a vehicle replacement, not just a harness replacement. If there is any hesitation on their part, I would point out that fact to them. ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Harties
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Roodepoort
Vehicle: 3.0 D4D 4x4

Post by Harties »

Hi Tumelo,

I had a simular experience some time back , the cause of the short actually came from my reverse switch on the gearbox.
I took it to an auto electrician & he rectified all damaged wiring.
I phoned up my insurance company & with the help of the auto electrician we compiled a report & submitted it to them. The agreed to pay for the damage caused by the short.

So they should be able to cover all your costs..! :thumbup:

Cheers
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Donkey »

Thank you for the empathy guys, much appreciated, will def keep you posted on the outcome. So if I do behave erratic these days, you'd know its the fumes I inhaled :mocking: :shock2:
God is great!
Tumelo Maketekete

ImageImage
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Donkey »

Feedback from insurance this morning:

Hi Tumelo

Jaco said that we should submit the claim, and see what the feedback of the insurance will be.

Attached is the claim form. Will you please complete in full, and send it back with the following
- One quotation for repairs and a report of the cause of the damage

Kind Regards!

Marilé Lintvelt | Bemarkingsassistent
RSA Agri Makelaars (Edms.) Bpk, Durbanville
Tel: 0861 008 882 | Faks: 0866 342 234

Please help with a reputable auto-electrician this side of the world, and report? :think: I suppose from the auto electrician.
Tumelo Maketekete

ImageImage
Boss2
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Alberton
Vehicle: 2 x 2 voete

Post by Boss2 »

Donkey,

ElectroMac in the south of Jhb does work for Porsche, so they should be good.

011 493 6465 speak to Des
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

Donkey wrote:Thank you for the empathy guys, much appreciated, will def keep you posted on the outcome. So if I do behave erratic these days, you'd know its the fumes I inhaled :mocking: :shock2:
God is great!
Didn't you mean to say "If you stop behaving erratically". :twisted: .... I wonder .... you sure it's not the Maluti's that you posted upside down yesterday!?? :lol: :lol:

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Donkey »

@ Gert - thank you very much, will give them a tinckle :thumbup:
@ oom Andy - :naah:
Tumelo Maketekete

ImageImage
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Donkey »

Luckily the Donkey has 3 x call-outs on his AA policy of which I will use 2 for the truck to be towed to the Auto Electrician, and back for a quote, thi is whilst insurance is deciding whether to repair or not. This has been pre-booked for next Tuesday, will keep you posted :thumbup:

The AA is over and above my Agri-SA policy, which I use mainly for the platkar :thumbup:
Tumelo Maketekete

ImageImage
WayneSchalk
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Krugersdorp
Vehicle: 2019 Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD-6 4X4 DC Auto
Club VHF Licence: X117

Post by WayneSchalk »

I had a golf 1 that burnt due to the wiring, only had 3rd party fire and theft and they covered it, in fact they wrote it off! paid me R11 000 payout and I got the car back, bougt a harness for R1000, fixed it up and sold it for R21 000

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Donkey »

Some feedback:

Insurance assossor came to my house today and so should be getting some feedback from them soon. Was quoted R12k by the auto-electrician, to replace main harness from main fuse box (inlu. the main fuse box) up to the harness behind the kick-out panel on the driver side.
Tumelo Maketekete

ImageImage
Ali3n
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Jeep Commander 3.0 Limited
Club VHF Licence: B338

Post by Ali3n »

Sounds good. Keep us posted... :thumbup:
PRESENTLY DISADVANTAGED
ImageImageImage Link BrokenImageImage Link Broken
Custom built Rock Sliders, Bumpers, Belly protection.... Anything you can think of
Cell: 076 122 3744 E-Mail: fpanaino@gmail.com
Bear Grylls calls it "Ultimate Survival", overlanders call it "Camping"
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Holding thumbs
To God be the glory
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Donkey »

Shweet thanks :thumbup:
Tumelo Maketekete

ImageImage
kfxnando
Town: Germiston
Vehicle: Ford V6 3.4 Courrier soon to be powered by Yamaha!! Jeep GC 4.7 V8, Aygo broken traded for a Kia Picanto.2ex, 2012 Jeep GC 5.7 V8 Ovrrland

Post by kfxnando »

wow.

don't know how I missed this thread

however glad it could all be covered by insurance

about 15years also had a similar incident in my Sierra
at that stage, was more broke then currently, very bad those days, and no insurance
auto electrician wanted too much as a special favour, harness for that specific model were scarce
as I was on leave at that stage. tackled the job my self

wires were burned from ignition to fuse box, behind the dash to the headlights
had to strip the dash, steering. . . . . . .
took me a week of solid work

know how you feel. good luck

. :beach:
http://www.youtube.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://community.webshots.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://s538.photobucket.com/albums/ff343/kfxnando/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Donkey »

:beach:
Tumelo Maketekete

ImageImage
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Donkey »

Insurance decided not to pay eventually since there was was no physical fire :shock2:, so I'm looking for a harness plus main fuse box in the engine bay to the the one bebind the kick panel on driver side.
Tumelo Maketekete

ImageImage
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Donkey wrote:Insurance decided not to pay eventually since there was was no physical fire :shock2:, so I'm looking for a harness plus main fuse box in the engine bay to the the one bebind the kick panel on driver side.
You should take it further. Fire or no fire it was an unforeseen event which did damage to your vehicle. You were not negligent and you are insured against theft and vehicle damage. They must pay. Maybe go see the ombudsman.
To God be the glory
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Donkey »

Hey Cassie that is my plan, because I'm also thinking there was no fire because I extinguished what could have been one, duh!
Anyway...
Tumelo Maketekete

ImageImage
kfxnando
Vehicle: Ford V6 3.4 Courrier soon to be powered by Yamaha!! Jeep GC 4.7 V8, Aygo broken traded for a Kia Picanto.2ex, 2012 Jeep GC 5.7 V8 Ovrrland

Post by kfxnando »

could you name the insurance company

or

maybe give a hint of witch one it is?

.goodluck :beach:
http://www.youtube.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://community.webshots.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://s538.photobucket.com/albums/ff343/kfxnando/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Donkey »

Agri SA, but how will that help?
Tumelo Maketekete

ImageImage
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Post you story on Hello Peter and notify them of your having done so. Then keep the topic alive with any ammo you can get. The wheel that squeals the loudest gets the grease. :think:

Sebata
Vehicle: '06 Hilux 4.0l V6 auto 4x4, Iron-Man front bumper, Ali3n Rock-sliders, Old man Suspention, Snokel, 31" Pireli Scorpion Muds

Post by Sebata »

eish cuz that a bumber :thumbdown: , do yourself a favor revisit the actual contract, even better get a legal advice on that contract, scrutinize every clause. they need to pay up. it is your right to approach the ombudsman for short term insurance on Tel: 011 726 8900. fax: 011 726 5501. email: info@osti.co.za . web: http//:osti.co.za

after you've made them to pay up, show them the middle finger :aggresive: i also to agree with Cassie, you are covered for theft & damage(fire, riots, natural dissasters) :aggresive: :banned:
Tau Sello
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Donkey »

:aggresive: will do these later tonight, going home now.
Tumelo Maketekete

ImageImage
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by george »

Donkey wrote::aggresive: will do these later tonight, going home now.
Since Jaco is a member here, I would hope he puts his side of the story also.
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
Sebata

Post by Sebata »

i hope for all our sanity this is not going another wait & see game :faint:
Tau Sello
kfxnando

Post by kfxnando »

Donkey wrote:Agri SA, but how will that help?
couz I share a bed with my insurance broker, and that is the 1st thing she is going to ask me

sadly she agrees with the info that you have been given, and will post her exact words as per bbm
"this is a mechanical problem and comprehensive cover will only cover damage to the vehicle if it burned"

sadly we had a similar situation a while ago, when we bought the bakkie, we fell for the mechanical warranty BS
on the one trip back from sodwana the bakkie was overheating, so I nurtured it up to Piet Retief, with out breaking the motor
if I had driven it till it broke, the policy would of paid for towing and maybe motor rebuilt

maybe you should let it burn just a little bit :laugh2:

good luck
know that this was not what you were hopping to hear
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

kfxnando wrote:
couz I share a bed with my insurance broker, and that is the 1st thing she is going to ask me

sadly she agrees with the info that you have been given, and will post her exact words as per bbm
"this is a mechanical problem and comprehensive cover will only cover damage to the vehicle if it burned"

sadly we had a similar situation a while ago, when we bought the bakkie, we fell for the mechanical warranty BS
on the one trip back from sodwana the bakkie was overheating, so I nurtured it up to Piet Retief, with out breaking the motor
if I had driven it till it broke, the policy would of paid for towing and maybe motor rebuilt

good luck
x2 heard the same..... :cry:
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Seeing those words it does actually make sense but it still makes one cross if they use small technicalities like that. But then again... if all the people out there didn't try and screw their insurance over they would not have been so technical about it.
To God be the glory
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by george »

CasKru wrote:Seeing those words it does actually make sense but it still makes one cross if they use small technicalities like that. But then again... if all the people out there didn't try and screw their insurance over they would not have been so technical about it.
Sad but true :thumbdown:
MOFASA
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1998 JEEP XJ 4.0............ 4 inch lift.... more mods to follow............ Old vehicle was MOFASA
Club VHF Licence: X119

Post by MOFASA »

So is there any news on this bakkie of yours getting fixed???
Live Life in the FAST lane....
Forget the past, Embrace the FUTURE!!!!
To 4x4 or not to 4x4 thats the question....
IT'S A JEEP :yahoo: ..... You wouldn't understand....
ImageImageImage[rimg=206x128]
Cleaner
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 4l V6 4x4 Auto
Club VHF Licence: X31

Post by Cleaner »

kfxnando wrote:

good luck
So what are we saying here?

If my vehicle catches fire because of whatever, take the fire extinguisher out, stand back and wait till it's burnt good, then spray some foam on just to show you did try and that you did have a fire extinguisher?

As apposed to, try and minimize the damage by killing the fire as quick as possible before the cost of repairing it becomes to great?

Is it just me, or is this argument quite bizarre? Then on the other hand, I like insurance as much as a kick in the privates. Maybe I will just never like them.
ImageImageImage
"Every loaf of bread is tragic story of grains that could've become beer, but didn't. - Walter Thornburgh"
"The best cure for Sea Sickness, is to sit under a tree. - Spike Milligan"
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Donkey »

Jaco is a forum member, yes. And he did give me a call earlier today - in fact I ended up more confused than anything (him trying to understand the sequence of events etc.) but the jist of his call was to say he will try and motivate for the claim to be settled. Within a week he'll get back to me but I much rather give myself two weeks just for my sanity :thumbup:

In the meantime I found a complete harness at a scrapyard for R2.5k, and the final outcome will dictate way forward.
Tumelo Maketekete

ImageImage
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Donkey wrote:Jaco is a forum member, yes. And he did give me a call earlier today - in fact I ended up more confused than anything (him trying to understand the sequence of events etc.) but the jist of his call was to say he will try and motivate for the claim to be settled. Within a week he'll get back to me but I much rather give myself two weeks just for my sanity :thumbup:

In the meantime I found a complete harness at a scrapyard for R2.5k, and the final outcome will dictate way forward.
Maybe if you give this information to Jaco and they see you are trying to help sort this out as cheap as possible the will come to the party :thumbup:

PS: Keep in mind... Jaco is only the broker and not the insurance house :thumbup: :thumbup:
To God be the glory
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Donkey »

:thumbup:
Tumelo Maketekete

ImageImage
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

I phoned a friend of mine also in the insurance business as this issue has been bothering me. I explained to him what had happened with your van and asked what they would have done in this case. According to him they would not have paid the claim. He then explained to me using the following analogy which made it much clearer in my mind.

Let's say you are driving on the highway and you try to brake and realise your brakes are not working. You let the car coast along and come to a safe stop next to the road without damaging you car. You then contact the AA or a friend (this is now after you stopped shaking and cleaned the mess in the car) and you get the vehicle towed / on a flatbed to a mechanic to fix the brakes. You will then have to fork out the money for that bill.

Now let's say they same scenario happens where you are driving on the highway and you realise your brakes does not work. While coasting to try and stop the traffic suddenly comes to a stand still and you are not able to stop and hit a car / barrier. The insurance will then sort you out getting the vehicle repaired etc.

So you see Tumelo "coast to a safe stop beside the road after his brakes failed".
To God be the glory
Ali3n
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Jeep Commander 3.0 Limited
Club VHF Licence: B338

Post by Ali3n »

CasKru wrote:I phoned a friend of mine also in the insurance business as this issue has been bothering me. I explained to him what had happened with your van and asked what they would have done in this case. According to him they would not have paid the claim. He then explained to me using the following analogy which made it much clearer in my mind.

Let's say you are driving on the highway and you try to brake and realise your brakes are not working. You let the car coast along and come to a safe stop next to the road without damaging you car. You then contact the AA or a friend (this is now after you stopped shaking and cleaned the mess in the car) and you get the vehicle towed / on a flatbed to a mechanic to fix the brakes. You will then have to fork out the money for that bill.

Now let's say they same scenario happens where you are driving on the highway and you realise your brakes does not work. While coasting to try and stop the traffic suddenly comes to a stand still and you are not able to stop and hit a car / barrier. The insurance will then sort you out getting the vehicle repaired etc.

So you see Tumelo "coast to a safe stop beside the road after his brakes failed".
So if I understand this correctly. :think: You must hit the vehicle in front of you or something like that and destroy your vehicle and another so the expense will be high enough to be paid by the insurance and not try and reduce the repair cost. :think: Now what if you could prevent an accident, you must NOT at all cost do that!!! You must be the cause of an accident and your insurance must cover your repairs as well as the other vehicle/s involved? :aggresive: They didn’t think that through did they… :blackeye:
PRESENTLY DISADVANTAGED
ImageImageImage Link BrokenImageImage Link Broken
Custom built Rock Sliders, Bumpers, Belly protection.... Anything you can think of
Cell: 076 122 3744 E-Mail: fpanaino@gmail.com
Bear Grylls calls it "Ultimate Survival", overlanders call it "Camping"
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Donkey »

So this past Monday I took matters into my hands, bought a harness from a scrapyard for R2.5k, but will start a new thread.
Tumelo Maketekete

ImageImage
Johannes van die See
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Johannes van die See »

Sad story!
http://www.goblacksam.com
Image Link Broken
Langebaan Lagoon & Deep Sea Fishing Charters
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '98 LTD
Club VHF Licence: X107

Post by Stef »

Eish...kinda glad I didn't keep my KZ...
Traveler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Springs
Vehicle: Pathfinder 2.5 LE AT
Club VHF Licence: X81

Post by Traveler »

Donkey wrote:So this past Monday I took matters into my hands, bought a harness from a scrapyard for R2.5k, but will start a new thread.
Thumelo, sorry to read the end of this one.

Most of the times it is better to take the bull by the horns with your own hands, and fix it yourself. Usually when you put your trust in someone else, you are bound to be disappointed. :think:

Know what you don't know.
wim
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Vryheid
Vehicle: 95 hilux d/c Hilex

Post by wim »

I have seen this happening a lot of times,be carefull of the fuses that u use to replace the blown ones with there is some cheap fuses out there that just do not blow and then causes the wires to burn,we call them longlife fuses.But now we Autoelectricians dont complain those fuses are good for busness
ImageImageImage
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Donkey »

Stef wrote:Eish...kinda glad I didn't keep my KZ...
Stef I don't think this is just a KZ issue, it could happen to anyone to think of it. But ya going through the wiring one thing I did pick up was that the head lights were not running off the original harness and had their own aftermarket relays - so my thinking is that way before I bought the truck these repairs were done and the original problem was not sorted out but was left on its own, this could be - where am I gonna get the previous owner to explain?

Nonetheless all is back to original now and I now know what I'm dealing with and what is going on cos I have gone through those wires myself.
Tumelo Maketekete

ImageImage

Return to “Open Discussion”