Novice Questions

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Tristan
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Kidds Beach
Vehicle: 97 Hilux D/C 2.4l 4x4

Novice Questions

Post by Tristan »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: OK!! this is probably gona get a good chuckle from you older long time 4x4 fundis 8) 8) but its bugging me and I need to know.

Why when engaging between 4x2, 4x4H and 4x4L is there a neutral option :?:
I just dont see the the point :?
legend35
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Springs
Vehicle: Hilux 2700i
Club VHF Licence: HC262

Re: Novice Questions

Post by legend35 »

Sal ook graag wil weet :?
2004 Hilux 2700i 4x4 Legend 35
ImageImageImageImage
Cowley branch and freeflow,long range tank,dual battery system,home made front and rear bumpers.
Bfreesani
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Roodepoort
Vehicle: Nissan Sani 2.7TD

Post by Bfreesani »

That neutral has saved me once when I accidentally shifted too far when I was wanting to go to 4H.. 2H to 4H is ok at a bit of speed, but down to 4L would kill the box.. Also today founf the neutral very handy when towing the vehicle on the A frame as there is no connection even to the gearbox when in neutral.

Besides that I also don't know why they would have it. So I will be watching what the experts have to say.
Later....
David
Hillbilly
Tristan
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Tristan »

Bfreesani wrote:Also today founf the neutral very handy when towing the vehicle on the A frame as there is no connection even to the gearbox when in neutral.
This feature would be useless on a Toyota they never need to be towed :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
ImageImageImage
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

I had Louis' van in neutral when I pulled it behind the Pajero with a A-Frame to my place when we did the EFI conversion. Many guys which transformed their Hiluxes into extreme 4x4s also like to pull it to the play spots with A-frames, and then the neutral is perfect. I am not sure if that is the real reason for including it, but many different makes of 4x4s have them.
Bfreesani
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Bfreesani »

Tristan!!

If you know what I am going through right now with the insurance company you will know why I had to go "steal" my truck back out of there salvage yard. :evil: Seen as they had stripped the engine far enough so I could not run it without about and hours work, the A frame was the only option...
Later....
David
Hillbilly
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

David,

Were you able to remove Hillbilly from the Insurer's yard? Nobody try to prevent you? That alone is reason enough to remove it. I'm tending to think the best way is to get hold of a 2nd-hand engine (Jap Imports?) and do the job yourself, then claim back from those moegoes. At least, you would have been up & running in under 10 days or so.

Good luck man, I know what withdrawal symptoms feel like :shock: :twisted:

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Bfreesani
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Bfreesani »

Yip I got him back, Safe and Sound in my garage where we started a strict dose of fresh air to get the inside smelling a bit better. I am thinking a strip down and steam clean of the inside would help. He had three weeks to brew those wet carpets in a cold garage.

Started stripping engine (more to make it light enough to remove) but also to build over a lot of pieces onto the new engine that could fit and may need replacement. I have a new turbo on my old motor, diesel pump is setup and everything on a standard 2.7 factory calibration and new injector tips just 2 weeks before the drowning. The spares I can take off the old engine is worth more than the Jap import motor I need to buy, but I am going to have spares for africa... :evil: :twisted: or maybe an opportunity to build a mean no limits performance engine that I don't care about blowing cause of overspecking :D :D

Oops, this is not my thread :oops:
Later....
David
Hillbilly
Tristan
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Tristan »

Sheesh!! David

What happened to your van to cause all this damage?
ImageImageImage
Bfreesani
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Bfreesani »

Long weekend at Rust de Winter I went through some water. Thought I would take a slightly safer line as I could see it was fairly deep and did not want water to come into the cab. As I went closer to the side and supposedly a shallower line I was also following a line not driven the whole day. Being a meter off the line put my left wheel into a hole that everyone had missed.

Hitting a axle twister under water left me with no forward drive and on top that my left front dropped way under the water. Long enough for the water to fill up and get swallowed into the engine. I could not get to the key fast enough to switch off, but the water did great job to stop the engine, bending all the con rods and leaving my engine stuffed.

Insurance company now wants to write off and I want nothing of it. I believe I can fix for less than the 54K they are quoting.

:oops: :oops: And here I go again on a thread that is not mine, sorry guys, but this is kinda consuming my time and thoughts in a big way.

Any body with advise, it would be appreciated...
Later....
David
Hillbilly
leonbrink
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Pretoria East
Vehicle: Hilux

Post by leonbrink »

Hi,

This site should explain the neutral gear on a transfer case.
http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/63452 ... ption.html
Groete

Leon
Hilux 4.0 V6 4x4
SYRON CONVERSIONS
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Tamboekieland
Vehicle: SFA HILUX

Post by SYRON CONVERSIONS »

And now on my Hilux, I no longer have the neutral gear with the small lever, the small lever only gives me low range foreward and high range back, I still have neutral with the normal 5 gear gear lever but then with the other twin stick, it gives me various options and application through various gear selection as required.
1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan
Tristan
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Tristan »

SYRON CONVERSIONS wrote:And now on my Hilux, I no longer have the neutral gear with the small lever, the small lever only gives me low range foreward and high range back, I still have neutral with the normal 5 gear gear lever but then with the other twin stick, it gives me various options and application through various gear selection as required.
:? :? :? Im confused and interested.
Do you still have a 4x2 option :?:
ImageImageImage

Return to “The Workshop”