GPS SatNAV Car System

Discuss all kind of nice gadgets and two way radios here.
Webbrent
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 2011 Toyota Hilux 4.0 Petrol

GPS SatNAV Car System

Post by Webbrent »

Hi Guys,

I am trying to get a indash GPS SATNAV unit. I have seen a few threads regarding these and places to get them.

I have noticed that there is stopshop.co.za, their prices are good and it seems they ship from China. There are numerous complaints regarding their service on Hello Peter and the internet in general.

There is then lasershop.co.za, they seem to be local and also have good prices. Has anybody had any experience with this online shop and their products?

Most of you guys have been around the bush, would hate to waste perfectly good money on rubbish and get scammed.

Your advise is most welcomed & appreciated.
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Re: GPS SatNAV Car System

Post by CasKru »

Don't know those sites but have done business with http://www.electromannsa.co.za/shop/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and they also do SATNAV etc
To God be the glory
Webbrent

Post by Webbrent »

I have ordered a 170 degree camera lens angle from the states. It supports Pal&NTSC and also has night vision capabilities. The total cost including shipping came to $18. Locally the guys where trying to nail me for R650 :o:

Going to order from Lasershop.co.za, will let you guys know the outcome. They are by far the best price I have been able to find thus far. Just wish someone else had some insight on this online shop first :P Suppose someone has to be the first :P LOL!!
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

Brent do you know if one can upload garmin maps like T4A and Garmap to these units.I think without this feature this unit will be very limited as a GPS
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
Webbrent

Post by Webbrent »

I have a mate that has a similar unit, he uses IGO Maps. Seems to be working fine, not sure of the updates though. I would imagine any GPS mapping software that is free would work just fine on this unit.

Hoping that some of the SatNav Fundi's will have some input on the thread in due course :)
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

Also try and get in contact with Dewald
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=3492

IIRC he have a system he used in the field and it was pretty useless when he got of the beaten track.
if you only going to use it in town it should be fine
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"

Return to “Electronic Gadgets and Radios”