Malaria Tablets?

Discuss anything here as long as it is clean. Having a hard time with your Skoonma, tell us about it here, or discuss the Rugby. Whatever you feel like talking about.
Thunder02
Town: East Rand
Vehicle: IFS Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC105

Malaria Tablets?

Post by Thunder02 »

Just want to find out what your take on Malaria tablets is,take them or not?Got a lot of different stories from various people......... :think:
I would like to come to some sort of conclusion,i know there's enough smart guys out there to assist me.........thanks :thumbup:
Not all those who wander are lost!

Scout motto:be prepared....
www.4x4direct.co.za
Email: boksburg@4x4direct.co.za
IFS is like a swambo, soft, sexy and expensive!
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Re: Malaria Tablets?

Post by CasKru »

I personally am on the side of taking the tablets.
To God be the glory
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Take them, for sure :thumbup:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=19156&hilit=polysan" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thunder02

Post by Thunder02 »

Planning too :thumbup:

www.4x4direct.co.za
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Polysan :thumbup:
Thunder02

Post by Thunder02 »

OOOOMS wrote:Polysan :thumbup:
Will check it out thanks :thumbup:

www.4x4direct.co.za
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

Careful now: AFAIK Malaria meds and The Pill do NOT mix - The pill cancels the Malaria meds....

Many a surprise baby born after a nice Moz holiday!
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
Thunder02

Post by Thunder02 »

Thabogrobler wrote:Careful now: AFAIK Malaria meds and The Pill do NOT mix - The pill cancels the Malaria meds....

Many a surprise baby born after a nice Moz holiday!
Thabo that factory closed down long ago :mocking:

www.4x4direct.co.za
zepplin
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Crooza VX 80 EFI
Club VHF Licence: HC 127

Post by zepplin »

Malaria meds won't prevent you from getting malaria, they only lessen the effects if you do contract it. The only way not to get it is not to get bitten by the mosquito carrying the virus - the female anopheles mosquito.
Cover up after sunset & coat the exposed bits with insecticide.

If you do get bitten - check the sex of the mozzie :yahoo:
Crooza VX 80 efi - fully locked.
Vlak vark
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Phalaborwa
Vehicle: 1995 hilux D/c 4x4 Legend 25 Kzt with top mounted intercooler. long range tank. hankook dynapro duel battery system

Post by Vlak vark »

zepplin wrote:Malaria meds won't prevent you from getting malaria, they only lessen the effects if you do contract it. The only way not to get it is not to get bitten by the mosquito carrying the virus - the female anopheles mosquito.
Cover up after sunset & coat the exposed bits with insecticide.

If you do get bitten - check the sex of the mozzie :yahoo:

Like Steve said, it supresses the symtoms, so when you start to feel
Sick the malaria is already in an advance stage. 4 years living in a malaria area
With out pillies this is my opinion.
One life, one dream, one toyota
jagermeister
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Postmasburg Kalahari
Vehicle: 2012 Hilux D4D D/Cab 4x4 XGS Full suspension Long range tank Onca Front and Rear Bumpers 12000 Winch Roof Rack Light Bars Snorkel Rock Sliders
Club VHF Licence: X 90

Post by jagermeister »

:blushing: :blushing: ek was nou vir twee weke in zambia en drink my malaria pille en geen negatiewe effek nie
ImageImageImageImageImage
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Strand WC
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 4x4, 2.41t Raider 1998 DC - front & rear difflock, 140lt fuel tank, 31" BFG a/t, snorkel, drawer system, alucab canopy, driver with attitude.
Club VHF Licence: X112

Post by GI Jane »

There is lots of debate around taking them. I know some doctors that won't take them. I know people that have taken them and still got malaria and because they had taken the tablets it took ages for it to be diagnosed. If it is possible to, read the pamphlets beforehand, and then make up your mind. If you choose not to take them then take all alternative precautions not to get bitten. I've seen people have some bad reactions to the medication as well.... Tricky one...
zepplin
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Crooza VX 80 EFI
Club VHF Licence: HC 127

Post by zepplin »

I generally find that an old homeopathic remedy works well - been using it for years now & so far so good. It's coco mixed with a dark sugar extract.
Captain Morgan & coke. :yahoo:

Try it!
Crooza VX 80 efi - fully locked.
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Polysan, no- zero side effects and you can treat Malaria if you get it and kids can use it :thumbup:

But peacefull sleep and similar products work :wink2:
MaPaZa
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: White River
Vehicle: Hilux Raider v6 4.0 ; SYNCRO 2l

Post by MaPaZa »

Malaria is a killer... dont play with it, you will lose. And dont trust all the different myths. Get the opinion of a responsible dr who has treated malaria patients before. Always take your profelaxsis as prescribed - some of the brands clash with e.g. antidepressants, etc, so dont listen to non-medical advice. Many of the bigger pharmacies e.g. dischem do have travel clinics. Treatment of malaria is much easier and sometimes 100% preventative. You can never protect your skin sufficiently with tabbard and stuff only. Nearly lost my wife and daughter while ago with malaria. (we were only holiday at Letaba, did not think to take any internal precaution in our beloved Kruger!) They were already in a coma when malaria was eventually discovered. Malaria often presents itself as something else, like normal flu. It our case it looked very much like gastro and bronchitis. The danger is when you have a doctor who is not used to see malaria cases. Thats why full prevention is better. And please react urgently to any ailment noticed after being in a malaria area. Dr should immediately believe you have malaria until proven otherwise.
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

MaPaZa wrote:Malaria is a killer... dont play with it, you will lose. And dont trust all the different myths. Get the opinion of a responsible dr who has treated malaria patients before. Always take your profelaxsis as prescribed - some of the brands clash with e.g. antidepressants, etc, so dont listen to non-medical advice. Many of the bigger pharmacies e.g. dischem do have travel clinics. Treatment of malaria is much easier and sometimes 100% preventative. You can never protect your skin sufficiently with tabbard and stuff only. Nearly lost my wife and daughter while ago with malaria. (we were only holiday at Letaba, did not think to take any internal precaution in our beloved Kruger!) They were already in a coma when malaria was eventually discovered. Malaria often presents itself as something else, like normal flu. It our case it looked very much like gastro and bronchitis. The danger is when you have a doctor who is not used to see malaria cases. Thats why full prevention is better. And please react urgently to any ailment noticed after being in a malaria area. Dr should immediately believe you have malaria until proven otherwise.
Agree, don't even play with it, I have also had Malaria and thought I was going to die.....did not take the meds, kids and mom did, they also contrakted Malaria, but could be stopped before falling ill by taking the Polysan! I did'nt listen and fell very ill :thumbdown:
kfxnando
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Germiston
Vehicle: Ford V6 3.4 Courrier soon to be powered by Yamaha!! Jeep GC 4.7 V8, Aygo broken traded for a Kia Picanto.2ex, 2012 Jeep GC 5.7 V8 Ovrrland

Post by kfxnando »

here is a twist

we are going on a boat cruise and will be stopping at the Portuguese iland just for the day

so far have no plans to take any anti malaria meds

should we have different plans as far as meds is concerned or not? ?
:beach:
http://www.youtube.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://community.webshots.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://s538.photobucket.com/albums/ff343/kfxnando/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

kfxnando wrote:here is a twist

we are going on a boat cruise and will be stopping at the Portuguese iland just for the day

If you are taking kids along I would def. be concerned, the islands are full of the gitters.....I would wven without kids. You may be lucky if you take a chance it's like buying a lotto ticket. I you don't you can't win :wink2:
kfxnando
Town: Germiston
Vehicle: Ford V6 3.4 Courrier soon to be powered by Yamaha!! Jeep GC 4.7 V8, Aygo broken traded for a Kia Picanto.2ex, 2012 Jeep GC 5.7 V8 Ovrrland

Post by kfxnando »

OOOOMS wrote:
kfxnando wrote:here is a twist

If you are taking kids along I would def. be concerned, the islands are full of the gitters.....I would wven without kids. You may be lucky if you take a chance it's like buying a lotto ticket. I you don't you can't win :wink2:
thanx, great way of putting it.
since I have very bad luck at the lotto, keep missing it by a mile, sure will miss this one as well
no small kids going with.
thanx :laugh2:
http://www.youtube.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://community.webshots.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://s538.photobucket.com/albums/ff343/kfxnando/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
QBriggs
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: Toyota Prado

Post by QBriggs »

The best thing i can say is go and see your doctor because he will give you the best information.
Thunder02

Post by Thunder02 »

QBriggs wrote:The best thing i can say is go and see your doctor because he will give you the best information.
Thankyou mister Q,please post some pics of your vehicle so we can see what you drive :thumbup:

www.4x4direct.co.za
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

There are lots of opinions and I will nether tell somebody not to take it.

What I can say is just about all the people I know who stay in Malaria areas say they do not take it because it suppress the symptoms and then it takes you longer to realize that you have malaria.

Tough decision
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Mentioned this numerous times before....here goes the shortend version.... :lol:

Polysan = homeopathic drops, no side effects, can be used by children and adults, you can also test if you have Malaria with Polysan, it is relatively cheap (R100), you can use it as an antidote :thumbup:

What more do you need :wink2:

Return to “Open Discussion”