4Y performance

Discuss anything here as long as it is clean. Having a hard time with your Skoonma, tell us about it here, or discuss the Rugby. Whatever you feel like talking about.
coz it can
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Durban
Vehicle: Hilux 2200

4Y performance

Post by coz it can »

Good morning Guys...need a little input on this one. :think: I was at my mech yesterday sorting out my cylinder head(blew it)sorted it out :shock: .
He suggested to me a performance mod,wich theoretically sounded right,and i need to know if any one has done it and if it is true...here goes :crazy:
He suggested that I bore the the block 20 thou(what ever that means)and turn the crank 10 thou,apparently this would give you much more power and easier to get to a required speed,yet keep the fuel consumption as it already is,(which is about 6-8km/l).
Would this conversion/modification work.
This was his substitute for cutting the cam,where as with his mod the idle remains constant,the consumption remains constant,the originality remains fair,and the power is bumped up a notch,and it is easy on the pocket,will cost a person under R200o to do, :wth:
:wave:
Rebel 4x4
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2020 Toyota Fortuner GD-6 4x4 Auto

Re: 4Y performance

Post by Rebel 4x4 »

BOLLIE!
Sent from my iPhone
Borntofish
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: Hilux 86

Post by Borntofish »

n Louis EFI conversion! Dit werk!
RooiLux
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Pretoria-Mayville
Vehicle: 1992 2.2-EFI Hilux 4x4 with Maus conversion,freeflow,Rear Electric Locker'2005 BMW 320i, 2015 Hilux 3d4d dc 4x4

Post by RooiLux »

Borntofish wrote:n Louis EFI conversion! Dit werk!
:thumbup:
Gysie
Events Coordinator
Events Coordinator
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: Toyota

Post by Gysie »

Hi,

For two grand I cant see that you can do much - mine cost me R 10 000 and now I have a 4Y that runs with everyone else and can cruise at 140km/h without strain.

I suggest you pm Hoppy on the forum and let him help you.
Life does not consist of the cards you are dealt but in how you play the cards you are dealt!

http://www.gomad4x4.co.za
Musselcracker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 1989 SFA D/C

Post by Musselcracker »

who is this mech of yours!

I am looking for some work to be done on my engine! please PM me his name and number
coz it can
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by coz it can »

I would like to know if it would work guys.the technacality of the process guys,thanks though...lol :mrgreen:
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

Not sure how that's going to increase performance. My engine's block is bored out 20 thou, but if you do this, you will need new pistons??

After I rebuilt my engine, Hoppy told me that the 4Y is not the best for boring out due to it's short skirt piston design, this leads to premature wear and possible piston slap. The guys in the know rather re-sleeve the engine back to standard bore. The other thing I don't understand... removing, modifying and replacing the cam is a pretty simple process, the engine doesn't have to be removed/disassembled. But if you intend cutting the crank journals, you will have to remove the engine completely to remove the crank for engineering. Much more expensive exercise, and for 2K it sounds to me like you are going to get scammed!
The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1994 2.2 4y 4x4 D/C Toyota Hi-Lux
Club VHF Licence: X93-

Post by The Legend »

Borntofish wrote:n Louis EFI conversion! Dit werk!
:thumbup:
“A BAD DAYS FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAYS WORK”

“Do what you do so well, that the people that see you do it, will want to see you do it again,and will bring others to see you do it”
kfxnando
Town: Germiston
Vehicle: Ford V6 3.4 Courrier soon to be powered by Yamaha!! Jeep GC 4.7 V8, Aygo broken traded for a Kia Picanto.2ex, 2012 Jeep GC 5.7 V8 Ovrrland

Post by kfxnando »

Rebel 4x4 wrote:BOLLIE!

other words come to mind

:beach:
http://www.youtube.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://community.webshots.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://s538.photobucket.com/albums/ff343/kfxnando/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Disagree with this guy's reasoning as well as his projected price. A new set of pistons and rings will set you back about R900 for pirate parts, then you're still looking at new con-rods and bearings as well, not to mention the cost of the re-bore and cutting the crank. If you get away with 2K on pirate parts and engineering work alone you would be lucky!! Then there's this oke's labour charges .... maybe that's the 2k he's talking about, and that would be cheap! Sorry but I could not trust someone that cannot even give me a close estimate ... it means he has no idea what he's talking about.

Then the most important issues of all .... if you re-bore, you cut away the case hardening of the cylinder walls. This means that they will wear much quicker .... the same applies to the journals of the crank! Additionally there's the issue of thinner cylinder walls after re-boring .... the head gasket already doesn't have much meat to seal between the pots, with most gasket failures occurring between cylinders 3 and 4. Now you still want to make it thinner with less meat ... you're gonna have constant head gasket problems.

Nah, I don't buy it for a second. If it were a viable option it would already be common practice and I can assure that it's not!

Do yourself an awesome favour and take all your future business elsewhere.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1994 2.2 4y 4x4 D/C Toyota Hi-Lux
Club VHF Licence: X93-

Post by The Legend »

Mud Dog wrote:Disagree with this guy's reasoning as well as his projected price. A new set of pistons and rings will set you back about R900 for pirate parts, then you're still looking at new con-rods and bearings as well, not to mention the cost of the re-bore and cutting the crank. If you get away with 2K on pirate parts and engineering work alone you would be lucky!! Then there's this oke's labour charges .... maybe that's the 2k he's talking about, and that would be cheap! Sorry but I could not trust someone that cannot even give me a close estimate ... it means he has no idea what he's talking about.

Then the most important issues of all .... if you re-bore, you cut away the case hardening of the cylinder walls. This means that they will wear much quicker .... the same applies to the journals of the crank! Additionally there's the issue of thinner cylinder walls after re-boring .... the head gasket already doesn't have much meat to seal between the pots, with most gasket failures occurring between cylinders 3 and 4. Now you still want to make it thinner with less meat ... you're gonna have constant head gasket problems.

Nah, I don't buy it for a second. If it were a viable option it would already be common practice and I can assure that it's not!

Agree 100% with you Andy
“A BAD DAYS FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAYS WORK”

“Do what you do so well, that the people that see you do it, will want to see you do it again,and will bring others to see you do it”
bosjakkals
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Harrismith
Vehicle: 97 Hilux SFA ,31 BF's, Bullbar,Warn winch, Hunting frame, 2 spare wheels, Long range tank, High lift jack, Gearmax rear locker diff, Suspension unknown but very soft)

Post by bosjakkals »

Mud Dog wrote:Disagree with this guy's reasoning as well as his projected price. A new set of pistons and rings will set you back about R900 for pirate parts, then you're still looking at new con-rods and bearings as well, not to mention the cost of the re-bore and cutting the crank. If you get away with 2K on pirate parts and engineering work alone you would be lucky!! Then there's this oke's labour charges .... maybe that's the 2k he's talking about, and that would be cheap! Sorry but I could not trust someone that cannot even give me a close estimate ... it means he has no idea what he's talking about.

Eish

The truth was spoken

CJ
03 - Cruiser 105 GX
97 - Hilux 2.4 D/C -
05 - Pajero 3.2 DID SWB ( Ma se kar)
01-Prado 3.0 d (Gesien -Geniet - GEROL))
coz it can
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by coz it can »

:blink: thanks guys,expecialy andy,I think the next big thing to do will be EFI,rather not "cut and weld" :shifty: lol,

Return to “Open Discussion”