national speed limit should be 100

Discuss anything here as long as it is clean. Having a hard time with your Skoonma, tell us about it here, or discuss the Rugby. Whatever you feel like talking about.
kfxnando
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Germiston
Vehicle: Ford V6 3.4 Courrier soon to be powered by Yamaha!! Jeep GC 4.7 V8, Aygo broken traded for a Kia Picanto.2ex, 2012 Jeep GC 5.7 V8 Ovrrland

national speed limit should be 100

Post by kfxnando »

me think it should be brought down

sadly, it makes sense to bring it down, it makes it easier to avoid situations, easier and quicker to stop
when an impact happens damage is less, that is the law of physics

will the lower speed limit lower the road carnage?????

in my opinion NO

however if the speed limit is dropped, then the good people of this forum will feel good driving vehicles that can now break the speed limit :tease:

imo, until drivers attitude changes no amount of tampering with the current rules will do much to keep us safer on our roads
http://www.youtube.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://community.webshots.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://s538.photobucket.com/albums/ff343/kfxnando/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
witmamba
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Sasolburg
Vehicle: D4D 4x4 Lux + D4D 4x4 Tuna

Re: national speed limit should be 100

Post by witmamba »

Yeah!!! I'm also a proud 4Y owner. :blushing:
Life only starts . . . . where comfortlevels end
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Post by Hoppy »

I drive a 4y to avoid speed fines

The maximum speed of taxis, who causes more than 50% fatal accidents, have to obey the 100km/h limit. do they?
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
turbo6906
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Walvis bay
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 1989 2.2 4y

Post by turbo6906 »

Yeah!!! I'm also a proud 4Y owner.
:thumbup:
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

At last... my lux will be able to reach the speed limit... hooray!
Die$eL
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Midrand
Vehicle: 06' Hilux 3.0 D4D 4X4

Post by Die$eL »

Well, the reason they want to drop the limit is because of the amount of accidents on the roads.
Yes, speed kills, but look at those vehicles involved in the crashes they speak of, how many were roadworthy and how many were caused by roadworthy vehicles travelling at the speed limit??

Chances are most were exceeding the speed limit or not roadworthy.
How is reducing the speed limit going to reduce the amount of crashes? People still gonna exceed the limit and the amount of unroadworthy vehicles is not going to reduce.
Real drivers use three pedals
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Yes, speed kills,
If speed kills why is Schumacher still alive?

Reducing the limit from 120 to 100 will not result in less accidents.
You are talking about the difference between 33 m/s and 27 m/s . 6 m/s wont make much of a difference.

If they really want to reduce the speed limit they must reduce it to 60 km/h because that is a safe speed.

The only real benefit they will see is that they will see more money rolling in from speeding fines.

We've been over this for many years, since the Arive Alive campaign started.
Speed does not kill. What kills are:
1. Impatience
2. Bad attitude towards fellow road users
3. un-roadworthy vehicles
4. People who cannot drive, who bought their licenses
5. Pedestrians and animals that are on main roads and highways which should not be there

In my opinion reducing the speed limit to 100 will result in more fines and more accidents. You will have more frustrated road users who take chances. If they do that you will see how the number of head-on collusions will skyrocket.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
jacques kotze
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: 2,8 4x4 Auto Fortuner. 2,8 4x4 Hilux singlecab.

Post by jacques kotze »

Not so sure about the 100km/h limit. Most accidents happens anyway under 100km/h. My opinion. . .
jagermeister
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Postmasburg Kalahari
Vehicle: 2012 Hilux D4D D/Cab 4x4 XGS Full suspension Long range tank Onca Front and Rear Bumpers 12000 Winch Roof Rack Light Bars Snorkel Rock Sliders
Club VHF Licence: X 90

Post by jagermeister »

:thumbup: :thumbup:
ImageImageImageImageImage
Die$eL
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Die$eL »

I agree Pieter. Wen i say speed kills, i mean really high speeds. Also, you can travel at a high speed safely.

the problem is the amount of people driving on our roads who lack the skills and common sense to do so safely. Loads buy their licenses and that is a fact! In our country it does not mean if you have a license that you are capable of operating a vehicle. All it means is that you paid whatever fees + maybe bribes.

Then there is the issue of non-roadworthy vehicles.

People lack common sense. We all heard the story of the hilux carrying like a 5 ton load recently. WTH???
mushroom
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: krugersdorp
Vehicle: '16 Legend 45 DC 4x4M

Post by mushroom »

:idea: Simple solution - govern public transport (busses, taxis etc..) to 80klm/hr on the production line, so that it cannot be tampered back to 100000 klm/hr - or make it compulsory that all abovementioned vehicles are fitted with old 4Y's :laugh2:
Q20 if its stuck, duct tape if it moves :shock2: :shock2: :shock2:
Hilux 1
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2011 Raider 4x4 Double cab 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC137

Post by Hilux 1 »

pietpetoors wrote:
Yes, speed kills,

You are talking about the difference between 33 m/s and 27 m/s . 6 m/s wont make much of a difference.

If they really want to reduce the speed limit they must reduce it to 60 km/h because that is a safe speed.

The only real benefit they will see is that they will see more money rolling in from speeding fines.

1. Impatience
5. Pedestrians and animals that are on main roads and highways which should not be there

In my opinion reducing the speed limit to 100 will result in more fines and more accidents. You will have more frustrated road users who take chances. If they do that you will see how the number of head-on collusions will skyrocket.
I AGREE + the fact that if the TAXI will obey ALL road rules ther will be massive change on drivers attitudes and all will be better.
Scorpion
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Emmarentia
Vehicle: 1988 Hilux 4x4 D/C with more attitude than Mike Tyson

Post by Scorpion »

Eish, you are all imperialists!

How are we, the poor previously disadvantaged elite of Souf Africa suposed to survive and pay for our children's private schools, our shacks in Houghton and our Mercedes and Range Rover if you can always like to no accept that apartheid is no more! We have been appointed by the peopel of this great country to look after our own pockets and no racist apartheid supporting white peopel will stop us. Any black man opposing us has been brainwashed by these white suprema... supre... racists, but we will make them see the light! Where's the tyres and the petrol??

Out! OUT!! YOU BLOODY AGENTS!!!

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Ja, whatever. Speed does not kill! Have you ever seen somebody/thing called speed highjack a car and force the driver to go faster than the limit to cause an accident on purpose? I doubt it. It's people who kill. And as long as these idiots only hide behind bushes the carnage on our roads will continue - it doesn't matter what the speed limit is.

Almost 50% of the deaths on our roads are pedestrians. Now whether I drive 80 or 120 (or even 200) at 10pm and some idiot runs over the Highway right in front of my car (and usually under a bridge, where a cop is hiding hoping to catch me :think: ) he is going to die!! Speed is not relevant. And if traffic only allows you to go at 40 in a 100 zone and some idiot drives 80, he WILL cause an accident and more people might die.

My father passed away in a car accident in his Cruiser 100 many moons ago. The inquest showed he was travelling at 60 in a 80 km/h zone. It was 10pm, there were very few cars on the road and he drove into the back of an overloaded truck. Why? It broke down in the middle lane just after a long curve on the highway; it did not have any of the reflectors legally required; it did not have it's hazards or lights on; the driver "forgot" to put out the warning triangle and not one of the lights on the that stretch of highway was working. The worst part? A traffic cop gave testament to this fact because he drove by the truck 5 mins before the accident happened. Did he do anything? What do you think? :evil: That is unfortunately the average thinking of traffic cop in SA.

When are these idiots (government) realising that the only way to reduce the carnage on our roads is VISIBLE policing and in the long term proper education (for both cops AND drivers)? Unfortunately untill then, we will have to keep on paying for private schools, Police Hummers with 24" rims and shacks in Houghton...
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
1988 Hilex D/C 4x4 (Import spec), Lexus V8; Marlin Crawler; Custom Suspension: front and new 4 link in the rear; Disc Brake conversion rear; 35" Cooper STT tyres; Xenon lights; Custom bullbar;Next? Aircon; new front seats, redo the whole interior in nice soft leather, Respray, Double Lockers
1978 Land Cruiser HJ45
1971 Mercedes Benz 280S Automatic
2011 Land Cruiser 79 V6 (60th Anniversary Edition)
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

VISIBLE policing
Not even visible, just enforcing the law will be helpful.

There is a tiny little town on the West Coast called Dwarskersbos. The SpeedCop who use to be there use to be a very effective speedy and no matter when, if you drive through Dwarskersbos a bit faster than you may you will get a fine and most of the times you wont even see the bugger.

The result is that everybody around here knows that you can drive like you want on the West Coast but when you drive through Dwarskersbos, then you better obey the law. The result is you do not see cars going faster than 60 through the whole of the main street which is probably 5km long.
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
oxydog
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '98 Hilux SFA 2.8D 4X4 D/C, '06 Hilux 4.0 V6 4X4 D/C
Club VHF Licence: J67

Post by oxydog »

Hoppy wrote:I drive a 4y to avoid speed fines

The maximum speed of taxis, who causes more than 50% fatal accidents, have to obey the 100km/h limit. do they?
Hey, it's you 4Y guys that speed past me on the highway while I'm put-putting along in my 3L!
Bees (Toy)
'98 Hilux 2.8D 4X4 D/Cab

• ARB Bullbar
• Safari Snorkel
• GearMax Rear Locker
• Dragon 29 MHz with 2.6m whip
• Front Runner bakkie slide
• 31" BFG KM2's

Hings (Everyday use and long distance travel)
'06 Hilux 4.0 V6 4X4 D/Cab

• Level-it kit (Front)
• Custom integrated bullbar
• Custom replacement bumper
• Midas driving lights
• National Luna 80l fridge/freezer
• National Luna Dual Battery System
• LA Sport 70l long range tank
• 2x40W Solar panels with PWM controller
• 31" BFG KM3's
oxydog
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by oxydog »

pietpetoors wrote:
Yes, speed kills,

1. Impatience

Sjoe Pieter, ek weet darem nie. Dit beteken elke sekonde gee jou 6m ekstra spasie - kan dalk net genoeg wees om 'n ongeluk te vermy?
Bees (Toy)
'98 Hilux 2.8D 4X4 D/Cab

• ARB Bullbar
• Safari Snorkel
• GearMax Rear Locker
• 31" BFG KM2's

• Level-it kit (Front)
• Midas driving lights
• 31" BFG KM3's
Frederick
Town: Hendrina Mpumalanga
Vehicle: 2011 Hilux. 2016 79 Land Cruiser
Club VHF Licence: X42

Post by Frederick »

Ek dink dat of die spoed limiet 100km/h, of 120km/h is, sal dieselfde oortreders nogsteeds oortree. Daar mag selfs dalk 'n paar nuwe oortreders bykom uit die mag van die gewoonte van 120 ry. Verder dink ek dat 'n paar spoed boeties nog 'n ekstra paar rand, kontant in hul bank rekenings sal kan deponeer elke dag as dit deurgaan.
Gunta
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 1996 80 series Land Cruiser VX 4500 EFI UK Import. Long range tank, Iron man suspension, ARB Bullbar, Front and rear diff locks, 33" BFG muds, Snorkel and attitude.

Post by Gunta »

Speed is not the main cause of accident its the people that disobey the traffic rules: ie taxis and others driving in yellow lines, stopping in the middle of the road, just a general disrespect of the law. That is why it will never change because we will abide by the law but they wont. I was stopped by a traffic cop today just for routine check and I asked him why they dont stop the taxis when they are driving on the pavements. His answer was they dont do it when the cops are around and he said the government is so corrupt they cant enforce it so they rather target us. Banana republic here we come, we are already run by a bunch of baboons and we have a whole lot of younger ones coming through the ranks which will only make it worse (malema and his agents). Zuma is already backtracking because he knows which side his bread is buttered on and who put him in power. I want to be president I just need to work in a coal mine first.
Worry about the things you can do something about, If you can't don't worry.
Live life to the fullest with no regrets.
Die$eL
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Die$eL »

Naah, to be president all you have to do is be loud

What does malema do? he is just loud... :mafia:
As the saying goes, no publicity is bad publicity....
Gunta
Vehicle: 1996 80 series Land Cruiser VX 4500 EFI UK Import. Long range tank, Iron man suspension, ARB Bullbar, Front and rear diff locks, 33" BFG muds, Snorkel and attitude.

Post by Gunta »

There is still no accountability for all the corruption out there which is why we are spiraling out of control.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

As a 2,5 D-4D driver I am also in favour of this brilliant idea ..... :)

will it help - HELL NO !!!
tersmit
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Durbanville Cape Town
Vehicle: '06 Hilux 4x4 4.0 Auto D/C, 185a/h Dual Battery Sistem, 1500w inverter

Post by tersmit »

IMO, it would help, in many accidents 6m can make the difference between being able to avoid an accident and not, and really this is coming from experience.
2 vehicles that is sadly no more, could have still been, if I had an additional 6m to avoid the accident, in both cases I was traveling in excess of the speed limit.
On the other hand, if everyone obey the limit of 120, then there would be no need to reduce the speed limit to 100km/h.
One other advantage to keeping to a speed limit, being 120 or 100, it increases fuel efficiency, which reduces greenhouse gases, which is great for mother earth, it also asissts with reducing oil prices, less demand means cheaper prices.
Lets be very honest how much longer does it take you to get from Cape Town to Pretoria driving at 100km/h as opposed to 140 or even 160km/h.
Note that when traveling at higher speed you will have to stop more often tp refuel.
Everyone that mentions Taxi's and other road users not obeying road traffic rules, yes they are at fault, but we should at least lead by example. It is always easy to say, why should we do it if others dont. It does not make it any less illegal !!
Speed kills !!!, it really does, dont just concider yourself, but concider your family in the car with you, as well as the other people on the road.
Just my 2cents.
kfxnando
Vehicle: Ford V6 3.4 Courrier soon to be powered by Yamaha!! Jeep GC 4.7 V8, Aygo broken traded for a Kia Picanto.2ex, 2012 Jeep GC 5.7 V8 Ovrrland

Post by kfxnando »

Tertius, the difference on a long trip is huge, in the good old days, made cape town in 10 and half hrs, was i flying, close!! 2.8 gtx

yes one stops more often for fuel, however one also makes up a lot of time!!

know that I started the thread, on a mixed note!!

maybe this is time for me to also add my 2c, again, slower speeds might help in some cases, however agree its not the speed that kils, its speeding in the wrong place!!

driving at 60km on my bike is nothing, now put that when traffic is standing and 60 becomes fast, again on a wide open road doing 200km on my bike is quiet safe, till some brainless decides to overtake on a solid white line!!

right speed on the right occasion is no problem, however its when every one thinks that they are invincible that the paw paw hits the fan and we end up with the carnage on our roads!!
allow me to make one point!!
code 10, yes now its called something else
people, if we can call them that, go for code 10, couz there is no parking test and a few other things that they dont have to do, and then they go and drive a small car when they cant even drive a code 10 vehicle properly!!
cant wait for that loop hole to be closed!!

:beach: :beach:
http://www.youtube.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://community.webshots.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://s538.photobucket.com/albums/ff343/kfxnando/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tersmit
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by tersmit »

Question:
Brainless guy overtakes on a solid line, and you crash into him doing 200km/h.
Who's fualt issit ?
kfxnando

Post by kfxnando »

guy that is overtaking over the white line

even if the biker/or other vehicle, is traveling at 60, or at the new proposed speed limit, and is confronted by another vehicle on the wrong side of the road, not much one can do

biker/vehicle traveling at 60, vehicle on the wrong side of the road 100, total speed 160
can't go to the other side as there is also a vehicle that is being overtaken, its either off the road or head on, both with potential disastrous results
the speed at witch the vehicle being overtaken and the vehicle coming from the front become irrelevant, as if no overtaking over the white line had taken place, both vehicles could of both been doing 1000, and it would not of been no issue
not promoting breaking the law, just trying to make a point that reducing the speed limit will not have the desired effect
it starts from the top, government convoys drive like they want with Bs excuses, cops, suppose to be the protector of the law drive like they want while talking on their cells, using the pocket money, they extorted from the motorists. . . .
:beach:
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

In the late 80's we hade the use of a holiday house in Onrus.

I got to know the road between Bellville and Onrus WELL - it is about a 100km stretch - R300 - N2 - SomersetWest - Sir Louwries pass - and then the last bit of open road.

I used to PUT FOOT, well as much as the other traffic would allow. 140+ and then on the brakes for the next car, stupid overtake back up to 140, drifting through the bends ......

Then one day we had to give an old lady a lift on this trip .... peacefull as you can. NEVER exceeded the speed limit, no silly over takes. and the whole trip took 7 minutes longer !!
petoors
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: gauteng
Vehicle: 4x4 hilux

Post by petoors »

Wil ook graag op Die bus klim ...lol...My persoonlike gevolg trekking ..( ondervinding )..Deur vinniger te ry ..is die bestuurder meer oplettent ..meer wakker ..Ek dink as n mens na ware ongeluk stats. gaan kyk ..sal jy verbaas wees by hoeveel nood lottige ongelukke is TAXI s betrokke...wat goedgekeer word deur staat ...as ( job creation )...( taxi bestuurder .) ..maar iemand maak as gevolg van hierie taxi enterprise beter geld as die bestuurders van so genaamde taxies...en ...as jy na die job creation aspek kyk ...1 drywer wat soms tot 25 kinners se lewens in gevaar stel !!...maar niemand sal vorendag kom met n voorstel om taxies te verban nie ...of om daai ou wat 60 ry in die regter baan op n pad wa jy mag 120 ry...reg te help nie ...destyds was da borde wat n min. en max. spoed aan gewys het ....Die ou wat 60 ry in die regter baan ...selfoon teenie oor ...raak so gerelax...dat hy aan die slaap raak ...en amal agter hom ergerlik ontstig ...Dan kan n men ook soo dana kyk ..Bv. ..n gebied word uit gesit vir huise ..Bv. ..Tuine ..en als om Tuine ...maar met 2 toegangs punte na die stad ....helloooo...wiet die stad beplan ??..Groot manne met Dik brille en Spier wit jasse...Lyk my niemand besef dat ons bevolking vermeerder nie ...maar niemand dink da aan om paaie en toegangswee aan te pas nie ...Mense ...die donkie kar era is lankaal verby...Dan praat ons nie eens van anne gevare op ons paaie soos potholes nie ....of n koei wat kyk of sy die wit streep inie middel van die pad ka af lek nie ...My gevoel is ...hoe gouer ek by my bestemming kan uit kom ...hoe gouer is ek uit die gevaar zone ..en hoe gouer is ek uit iemand anders se pad wat dalk meer haastiger is as ek ...
ImageALLES LOOP REG ALTYD REG, TOYOTA !!!!Image
tersmit
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by tersmit »

Geduld mense, al ry die ou voor jou 60 km/h op 'n pad wat 120km/h spoed beperking het, dan sit jy nou maar agter hom en gaan verby as dit veilig is. Ander mense het net so baie reg op die pad soos ons.
Die ander ding is, its a 120km/h speed LIMIT, not 120km/h speed TARGET !
Polarbear2008
Vehicle: 01 Hilux Kz-te 4x4 Raider d/c
Club VHF Licence: X49

Post by Polarbear2008 »

Guys

Lets look at the stats: all the accidents that get reported on lately are either HEAD-ON collisions or brake failure (not roadworthy) so how is reducing the speed limit going to solve either of these?

Driver ignorance and incompetence cannot be corrected by reducing the speed limit! Someone mentioned it earlier and called it general disregard for the law - that is dead on the money! That is precisely what is busy happening - overtaking on blind rises (I see this often on the R27 and the N7), 3 to 4 cars traveling through an intersecion when the traffic light has gone RED long before,..... the list goes on and on. We are going back to Dulha Omar's time with this way of thinking! There should be a wholisitic approach - you cannot cut off your finger and want to just put on a plaster! :(

For starters, all public transport vehicles should be tested every 6 months. Their drivers should undergo advanced training and be retested at least once a year, as they are carrying paying customers, and are therefore responsible for these people.

Do this for a start and see the state of things change.
01 Hilux 3.0L KZ-TE 4x4 Raider d/c
GME Gx300 29meg & Vertex VX2200 VHF radio
Mikem load springs with greasable shackles and polybushes
Monroe Gas Magnum shocks
Kumho Road Venture AT - 30x9.5x15
National Luna Dual battery system
Frontrunner roofrack with s/steel table
Twin rear high lift jack points
Hilux4x4club sticker! ('nuf said!)
Echo3 4x4 offroad trailer with NL 74 Litre Fridge/Freezer
Dual loadbox slides
Wishlist:
Alu canopy
Warn Winch
Unlimited Fuel & Travel Budget!
Bosfebok
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Roodekrans
Vehicle: 1995 Hilux Raider 2.2
Club VHF Licence: X248

Post by Bosfebok »

Bwwn driving on the Autobahn! What a pleasure :thumbup: At 170kmh in a taxi, fast lane, I felt safe.. no worries of some Olifantsfonteiner running over the highway in front of you... get the freak'n kamakazi Olifantsfonteiners from running over our highways (right underneath brigdes) and you'll see the death-toll go down by half.... not counting innocent people they just murdered by causing 6 car pile-ups on the road.... how'd they feel if I drive through their homes in the midddle of the night... so why are you walking on my road???

NEW LAW : 50 POINTS FOR EVERY PEDESTRIAN ON THE HIGHWAY KILLED... AND 150 POINTS BONUS IF YOU CATCH HIS HAT BEFORE IT TOUCHES THE GROUND :aggresive:
Otto X248
1995 Hilux Raider 2.2 EFI Turbo DC
Alucab Canopy with Kitchen and Recovery sections
National Luna Split Charge system and Dual Battery
80W solar panel and MPPT controller
20.5" LED BAR
5ton tow bar with recovery points
Nudge-M front bumper
80l Long Range Fuel Tank
90l Water Tank
Slide Drawer System
Safari Snorkel
Double Lockers - Toyota Electric selectable
Diff breathers
The worst anti hi-jack alarm system ever, SANJI!!

A bad day out is still better than a good day in!!
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

I was on the N1 on Saturday morning, at about 10:00. Traffic was not flowing smoothly ...

So by Karl Bremmer I move into the mid lane, as I was getting off at Durbanroad and all three lanes were moving at the same speed in any case.

Here comes this IDIOT in his BMW 5 series past me on the left side - NEARLY rear ends a truck. Swerves hard to avoid hitting the truck and missis my front bumper by millimeters !! He keeps on darting between the lanes, but gets nowhere as the traffic is not flowing smoothly - a 100 m further I am still in the mid lane and next to him. So NOW I push my hooter at him ... immediate road rage towards me, WHY dare I hoot at him.

We both get off at Durban road. He SPEEDS off and I stick to the speed limit - for once praying the cop with the mobile camera is on duty.

By Nando's the robot is red and he has to stop, when I pull in next to him I lower my window: "Sir you have your wife and KID (standing between the seats mind you) in the car, and you nearly caused THREE accidents in a stretch of one kilometer on the N1. PLEASE drive carefully."

not sure what his wife said, but he suddenly went quiet, and actually drove carefully from there.

Now ALL this darting about and near accidents were all at or below 100 km/h.

it is NOT the speed, it is the behaviour of the drivers
KZNSFA4Y
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Hilton
Vehicle: 92 Hilux D/C 2.2 4x4

Post by KZNSFA4Y »

I vote a definate yes to the speed limit reduced to 100. The main reason being is that it will not only bring the speed of the law abiding drivers down making it in my opinion far easier to avoid an accident but it will also bring down the 130 kph bunch (guilty of this). And then there are the guys who sit at a constant 140 and try keep their eyes open and there are those that will do 150+. I like the idea that traveling at 140 will then lead to a much bigger fine and hopefully anything above 150 means jail.

Me driving a 4y has no influence on my vote as i can easily cruise at 140 with my Bruce Lee 2.2. :aggresive:
Gunta

Post by Gunta »

The people that speed will always speed no matter if you changed the limit to 60km/h. The problem is not the SPEED its the people out there that think the law does not apply to them, and that is the TAXIS and the BLUE LIGHT PATROL. Stats show that almost all of the accidents on our roads are caused by either taxis breaking the road rules (duh), unroadworthy vehicles on the road (taxis again) and drivers overtaking where they shouldn't (taxis again). The taxis are the only ones that dont have to pay toll fees, get rebates on petrol, can stop on a road at anytime anywhere and can pass on either side of the road that he feels like, you know why.... because he can and because there is no respect or compassion for any other human being out there other than himself and his next load.
This all comes down from the top...corruption...disrespect...= CHAOS and thats where we are headed.
Die$eL
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Die$eL »

I agree 100% with Gunta!!
Could not have said it better myself (and i did try..) :)
KZNSFA4Y
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by KZNSFA4Y »

I agree with you Gunta, but on the other hand I have seen loads of people driving like taxis, especially in the mornings when they are late for work and at 1pm women racing around like maniacs fetching kids from school. Yes the taxis are a law unto themselves especially in JHB where the metro police are so corrupt. But I would love to see the arsehole racing his new M3 on the N1 get trapped at only 150 and be arrested. There is not much hope for the taxi problem but the average lawbreaking spineless South African driver will think twice before speeding or breaking the rules if it means going to jail. I think if the speed limit is 100 anything over 140 should be instant arrest where a judge can then decide your fate with possible jail time. I spent years driving the streets of JHB when I was a plumber and later had my own plumbing co and I had more close calls from school moms than taxis.
Gunta

Post by Gunta »

The minister should get the traffic police to start a campaign to reduce the road death toll by removing the unroadworthy vehicles off our road and suspending the licence of those traffic violators who break the law by driving recklessly, only then will we get somewhere on our roads.
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 1996

Post by LouisZ »

Not the speed that is the problem, it is more the busses and taxis that is the core problem, sort it out, get them roadworthy and let the drivers get tested by a 3rd party.

Speed down to 100, might jussstt help with fuel economy.
kfxnando

Post by kfxnando »

Gunta wrote:The people that speed will always speed no matter if you changed the limit to 60km/h. The problem is not the SPEED its the people out there that think the law does not apply to them, and that is the TAXIS and the BLUE LIGHT PATROL. Stats show that almost all of the accidents on our roads are caused by either taxis breaking the road rules (duh), unroadworthy vehicles on the road (taxis again) and drivers overtaking where they shouldn't (taxis again). The taxis are the only ones that dont have to pay toll fees, get rebates on petrol, can stop on a road at anytime anywhere and can pass on either side of the road that he feels like, you know why.... because he can and because there is no respect or compassion for any other human being out there other than himself and his next load.
This all comes down from the top...corruption...disrespect...= CHAOS and thats where we are headed.

spot on

from reading some of the other posts, would like to maybe clarify something
taxis and the like are not the only ones, yes
however they couz a huge majority of the accidents, and if that sector is cleaned up, then to focus on the rest will be easier
would like to add something else, together with taxis, go buses and trucks
have often had when self was a bit over the speed limit at night on the way home going with the flow of other traffic (80 by the road works) and have had trucks and busses fly past me weaving from lane to lane between the normal flowing traffic
Die$eL
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Die$eL »

any1 else notice that people with company vehicles (especially couriers) drive like taxis?

yip, its not Only taxis and buses that are the problem, but they a Major part of it...
Gunta

Post by Gunta »

I think the public have also had enough and because the taxis get away with it more and more people are acting in the same manner. I think this is a good example of how the country is spiraling out of control and motorist and people in general have no respect for the law or anyone else for that matter and compassion no longer exists. There is a very dark cloud hanging over us and honestly I dont see much light at the end of the tunnel. The whole government is ROTTEN to the core, what we need is a major shake up in the country and it has to get far worse before it can get better.
KZNSFA4Y
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by KZNSFA4Y »

Great point! It starts at the core and rots from the centre. The strange thing is it seems like the Western Cape is suffering less and less of the daily hassles that the rest of the country has to put up with. It seems it is slowly detatching itself from the rest of S.A. As an example the level of corruption with the metro police in JHB is in my opinion and experience are far worse than anywhere else.
Sebata
Town: Cosmo City
Vehicle: '06 Hilux 4.0l V6 auto 4x4, Iron-Man front bumper, Ali3n Rock-sliders, Old man Suspention, Snokel, 31" Pireli Scorpion Muds
Club VHF Licence: X125

Post by Sebata »

just witnessed the taxi driver turning the pedestrian into a KITE for a good 20 meters right in JHB CBD. will reducing the speed limit stop such manace? oh well NO. guess the minister must hire a new advisor because he is defenetley misinformed. they rather concentrate more in driver behaivor coarses NOT just impart thier wishes on us.
Tau Sello
Sebata, Lion enjoys hunting with Hynas...
WayneSchalk
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Krugersdorp
Vehicle: 2019 Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD-6 4X4 DC Auto
Club VHF Licence: X117

Post by WayneSchalk »

Start by getting all the vehicles off the road that's not road worthy.

And then enforce the law and get the people off the road that stops on highways, and the people that thinks its ok to change direction on the highway via the middle island and not off ramps.

My two cents
oxydog
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by oxydog »

WayneSchalk wrote:Start by getting all the vehicles off the road that's not road worthy.

And then enforce the law and get the people off the road that stops on highways, and the people that thinks its ok to change direction on the highway via the middle island and not off ramps.

My two cents
Wayne, that makes my blood boil - lots of unnecessary deaths because of idiots like that. Even trucks!
Bees (Toy)
'98 Hilux 2.8D 4X4 D/Cab

• ARB Bullbar
• Safari Snorkel
• GearMax Rear Locker
• 31" BFG KM2's

• Level-it kit (Front)
• Midas driving lights
• 31" BFG KM3's
WayneSchalk
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by WayneSchalk »

oxydog wrote:
WayneSchalk wrote:Start by getting all the vehicles off the road that's not road worthy.

My two cents
Wayne, that makes my blood boil - lots of unnecessary deaths because of idiots like that. Even trucks!
Removing these individuals is a solution to a problem, reducing the speed limit is just another way to generate millions to feed the "fat-cats"
Scorpion
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Scorpion »

Somebody here mentioned the USA and Britain as examples of countries where the 60mph (97kmh) speed limit has reduced fatalities. Now let's look at Germany - the only country in the world that has no speed limits on certain stretches of Highway. Their yearly death toll on the roads? 600. (YES only SIX HUNDRED) And SA? 16 000...

Now let's ask why? The reasons is that they allow speed when it is appropriate (3 lane highways, no towns, no accidents, no rain,etc. - they actually alter the limit electronically to control the flow of traffic) and punish worse offenses. For example the penalty for tailgating is 3 times higher than speeding. And they actually have cameras that measure the distance between vehicles and calculated the appropriate distance according to the speed of the vehicles. Now sitting 20cm from somebody's bumper at 60km/h will cause an accident and sitting the required 3 seconds apart at 120km/h will in all probability avoid one.
However, speeding in a suburb is a much worse offense than speeding on the Highway. Speed limits are 20 or 30km/h in the suburbs, but remain at 60km/h on the main arteries.

All new vehicles need to go for a roadworthy at 3 and 5 years of age and EVERY year thereafter.

At the age of 65, 70, 75 and then every year thereafter you have to retake your driving test.

You cannot cheat the system and you have to go to a government appointed driving school for a whole year (? Not sure of the exact amount of time?), BEFORE you are allowed to even take your driving test.

They will close a highway down if there is a pedestrian is on the Highway (and he will get arrested and a MASSIVE fine)

EVERYBODY RESPECTS THE LAW!!!

Now, if every car has to go for a roadworthy like the Germans do, then we will eliminate probably 60% of all accidents - Every cars brakes, steering and tyres will work and with the required training as per the Germans, accidents will be avoided. If you loose your licence for tailgating, you will elimanate 95% of all bumper bashings and probably another 10% of deadly accidents. If you arrest pedestrians on the Highway for obstructing the flow of traffic, you will bring the rate down another 40 - 50%.

Hell, do 3 or 4 things and we will have to increase the speed limits, just to make sure we don't increase our population too much.

:twisted:

Reduce speed limits? Ba humbug!! :evil:
1988 Hilex D/C 4x4 (Import spec), Lexus V8; Marlin Crawler; Custom Suspension: front and new 4 link in the rear; Disc Brake conversion rear; 35" Cooper STT tyres; Xenon lights; Custom bullbar;Next? Aircon; new front seats, redo the whole interior in nice soft leather, Respray, Double Lockers
1978 Land Cruiser HJ45
Johan Kriel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Okahandja
Vehicle: 2.5 SC 4x4

Post by Johan Kriel »

They can even reduce the speed to 80k/u, put only 2.5d4d engines in hilux's, and 1hz motor in LC's. :twisted:
Accident will only drop when fitting bumpers all round to push taxis and incompetent drivers off the road. :aggresive:
Johan Kriel

Legend 50
WayneSchalk
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by WayneSchalk »

When was the 120km/h speed limit introduced in South Africa? Late 1970's? 1980's

Most of the cars and trucks did not have the technology available today, ABS, traction control, airbags, POWER STEERING!

One would think that the new cars on the roads could handle much greater speeds and its only incompetent drivers that buy's there license with there new cars that causes most of the accidents.
Gunta

Post by Gunta »

Scorpion wrote:

:evil:
This is the problem and will never be fixed and that is why there has never been a sucess story in Africa and why we are destined to be the same as the rest of Africa. :dash:
Scorpion
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Scorpion »

Gunta wrote:
Scorpion wrote:

:evil:
This is the problem and will never be fixed and that is why there has never been a sucess story in Africa and why we are destined to be the same as the rest of Africa. :dash:
That is in all probability the core of the problem. But let's ask why? I am an attorney and deal with the law every day of my life. I respect the law immensely! How can you not when it is a system that has been developed over more than 2000 years (yes, it wasn't written by the ANC or the Nats as most people would like to believe... :shock: ). It is a system that has been developed and refined over millennia to serve and protect people for the greater good.

Now what I don't respect at all is a Metro Cop. Why? Because every time I get pulled off for whatever infringement (real or made up), the first thing the cop does is to try and solicit a bribe. I have NEVER been pulled off since the introduction of Metro where this has not happened. It is also shocking to see the kind of judgements handed down these days by judges and magistrates. Why? Because of "cadre deployment" - you loyal to the ANC? You have political clout? No experience, just a degree? No worries, you become a judge; or magistrate because we need "people from grass roots level to look after the people". Now how is it possible for me to respect an officer of the law if he/she does not respect or even know the law themselves? And if an "expert" feels this way, then how do you expect Joe Public to feel any different?

The general perception is that you can get away with murder in this country. If you get caught, all you have to do is pay a "spot fine" and all is well. That is the core of the problem! And of course the fact that there is no political will to stamp out corruption worsens the scenario. As long as nothing is done and our "leaders" keep on getting illegal tenders and backhands there will NEVER be respect for the law from the average citizen. And why should there be? If Malema and Zuma can do it, then why can't I? :boss:
1978 Land Cruiser HJ45
Doom
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Windhoek
Vehicle: '92 Hilux 2.2 DC 4x4 - "Boetman"; '96 Toyota Hilux 4x4 - Lexus, 98 Toyota Hilux 2.4 4x4

Post by Doom »

In Windhoek, en laat dit 'n waarskuwing wees aan diegene wat dalk hier deur ry, het wetgewing so 'n paar maande terug deurgekom dat daar 'n N$2000 (nie onderhandelbaar) boete is vir diegene wat oor 'n rooi lig ry, op selfone praat (alle staatsdienste uitgesluit uit die een) en nie hulle veiligheidsgordels gebruik nie.

Nou lyk dit eers of dit ons nationale sport is om oor rooi ligte te ry (veral die toekarre met nommers op die kante en op hul agterruite), die borsluise sit nog beter teen die ore en slegs die veiligheidsgordel wet word op Sondae in slegs een woonbuurt toegepas.
Die rede? Die wette word nie afgedwing nie!! Die oortredings word begaan selfs in die teenwoordigheid van verkeerspolisie!

Nou die kort en die lank van die storie is: Daar is voldoende wette in plek, pas net die goed toe!! Dwing dit af. Dit help nie elke kort-kort word nuwes opgestel en dit word nie toegepas deur die owerheid nie.
ImageImageImageImageImage
LOS MAAR DIE KAAS, GENIET DIT NET !!
Gunta

Post by Gunta »

7 advocates been struck off the bar for ripping off the 3rd party fund. I wonder whats next?
King Rat
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: Hilux

Post by King Rat »

Make the speed limit 0 km/h and you'll still get vehicle related deaths and injuries. Ask the backyarders when the car falls of the jack :razz:
Datsun GX Coupe 1200
99 Subaru Legacy GT
07 Alfa Romeo GT 3.2 V6

Lampropeltis getula californiae, Orthriophis taeniura friesi, Morelia spilota, Python brongersmai, Epicrates chenchria maurus, Python regius
Scorpion
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Scorpion »

Gunta wrote:7 advocates been struck off the bar for ripping off the 3rd party fund. I wonder whats next?
Ja, but in this case I agree. You are not allowed to take 4 or 5 cases and charge a full days fees (R 5,000 - R10,000) for each one. That means they were charging 4 to 5 times what they would normally make in a day. That is unethical and they got what they deserved! Just ask yourself, is it fair that you pay someone for 8 hours work when they only spent 2 hours on it? It amounts to stealing!
1978 Land Cruiser HJ45
Gunta

Post by Gunta »

These guys are only doing it because everyone else including the president gets away with corruption.
Scorpion
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Scorpion »

I agree, but that still doesn't make it right!
1978 Land Cruiser HJ45
Gunta

Post by Gunta »

True it doesnt, but people don't have morals or respect anymore which is why we are heading south. I spoke to a friend who is in the DA and she said the joburg punicipality is bankrupt and that is why we have sewerage pumping out the manholes all over bryanston. The JMPD is so corrupt they only stop the taxis for their own gain so she said it has to break before it can be fixed, in other words we have to have anarchy and the blacks have to start voting for another government before it can get better. The problem is that when they are fed up with the ANC they refuse to vote but dont vote for another party.
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Eish, I went to Town today and me now think they should rather INCREASE the MINIMUM speed on highways to 100km/h. I think the guys who are doing 60 on a highway where all other people are doing 120 are far more dangerous than the guys speeding.
Polarbear2008
Vehicle: 01 Hilux Kz-te 4x4 Raider d/c
Club VHF Licence: X49

Post by Polarbear2008 »

Pieter I agree!
01 Hilux 3.0L KZ-TE 4x4 Raider d/c
GME Gx300 29meg & Vertex VX2200 VHF radio
Mikem load springs with greasable shackles and polybushes
Monroe Gas Magnum shocks
Kumho Road Venture AT - 30x9.5x15
National Luna Dual battery system
Frontrunner roofrack with s/steel table
Twin rear high lift jack points
Hilux4x4club sticker! ('nuf said!)
Echo3 4x4 offroad trailer with NL 74 Litre Fridge/Freezer
Dual loadbox slides
Wishlist:
Alu canopy
Warn Winch
Unlimited Fuel & Travel Budget!
Gunta

Post by Gunta »

I had the same problem last weekend on the highway. A fat ousie on her cell driving in the fast lane with a string of cars behind her at 80km/h with a CA reg. She refused to move over, people were so fed up they were swerving in front of her. She was totally oblivious to what was happening.

Return to “Open Discussion”