SFA Wheel Alignment

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
SuidWes
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: Prado 120 VX
Club VHF Licence: B35

SFA Wheel Alignment

Post by SuidWes »

Need help

I noticed that both front tyres are wearing on the outside, positive camber? The wheel alignment was recently done and the guys assured me that everything was 100%. :shock: :evil:

Some questions:

• The vehicle is fitted with slightly bigger tyres than standard, 265x75 15’s and also lifted about 50mm. Can they use the standard settings when doing wheel alignment?

• How do you adjust the camber on a SFA – Can it be done?

• The tyres above are currently fitted on 7j rims - rims wide enough?

• Last year I drove into a deep “sloot” and ever since the steering is funny, when you turn the steering wheel whilst driving and let it go it does not return 100% to center - Caster problem or could it be that the axle moved? The steering is still smooth and I checked the U bolts and it doesn’t seem as if anything moved…..

Next week I’m taking her to 1st Alignment Centre and hopefully they can sort it out.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away - George Carlin
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Re: SFA Wheel Alignment

Post by ThysdJ »

SuidWes wrote:Next week I’m taking her to 1st Alignment Centre and hopefully they can sort it out.
That;s the solution to your problem right there. Johann Tyre knows his stuff.. :twisted: :shock: :lol:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

Did the quys doing the alignment do a 4 wheel alignment?

Did you check your balljoints for wear?
To God be the glory
SuidWes

Post by SuidWes »

Yip and I've checked the ball joints. Allen Venter also checked the steering with the last service and could not find anything wrong.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away - George Carlin
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Tyre pressure correct? I've got the same size tyres and mine is inflated to 2.1 bar
To God be the glory
SuidWes

Post by SuidWes »

Same here, 2.1

It's Firestone ATX tyres and I saw one of their reps yesterday who told me that I should actually make it 2.2 :| According to him this is the correct pressure for this size tyre regardless of the make.....
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Could be. I've always used 2.1 and the bigger the tyre, the less pressure needed.
To God be the glory
Knersus
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Kathu
Vehicle: 2.4 Hi Lux 4x4 DC 95'
Club VHF Licence: ZS3EP

Post by Knersus »

Wel ek kan verkeerd wees met die benaming van goed maar Caster en Camber kan mos nie gestel word op 'n SFA nie. Daar kan slegs Toe in en out gestel word :|

Verskoon as ek verkeerd is maar sover ek weet is die camber solied vas in die as en al wat mens kan verstel is die in en uit towing van die wiele. As die wiele aan die buite kante vreet is jou wielle se towing te veel na mekaar toe aan die voorkant gestel. Anyway ek is seker jy sal die probleem dadelik sien op die wheel alighnment masjien.
Eben Pienaar
2.4 Hi Lux 22R 95'
Codan HF radio; Kenwood VHF Hi band; Tait VHF midband; Snorkel; OME suspension; Diff lock on next shortlist. Dis lekker om 'n mens te wees....Jy moet net 'n lekker mens wees
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Eben... ek dink jy het 'n punt beet. Dit kan wel nie met die normale tools gestel word nie maar niks wat 'n 10 pond hammer nie kan uitsort nie :)
To God be the glory
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

Just to re-iterate, Johan Tyres is the man! I can recommend him to anyone in Cape Town, and best of all he's a Toyota man. He actually owned one of the nicest SFA's I have ever seen, but his vehicle of choice is the now the LandCruiser, and who can blame him!

Bretton
legend35
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Springs
Vehicle: Hilux 2700i
Club VHF Licence: HC262

Post by legend35 »

As ek n vraag kan bylaat.Hoe gereeld moet wielsporing gedoen word as n mens amper elke naweek offroad gaan?
2004 Hilux 2700i 4x4 Legend 35
ImageImageImageImage
Cowley branch and freeflow,long range tank,dual battery system,home made front and rear bumpers.
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

My thoughts(with no scientific proof),

When to do wheel alignment, as soon as the vehicle pulls one way of the other, or you notice uneven tyre wear, or if your vehicle takes a really hard knock offroad, and have it check every 3 months or so. Then don't forget the wheel balancing, especially if you deflate your tyres for sandy conditions, cause the tyre sometimes shifts on the rim, causing the balance to go out. If you got beadlockers, then this stops the tyres shifting on the rim, and the wheel should stay balanced longer.

Bretton
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

The problem having the wheel alignment check when you see uneven wear is that you are already to late. I think it's different for all vehicles. It might be a good idea to have it aligned about the same time you have the vehicle service although this might be to far apart.

I once asked a guy at a trye dealer about alignment and when to re-align etc. He told me that if the tyre is not aligned properly you have about 300km before you do ereperable damage to the tyre.
To God be the glory
Knersus
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Kathu
Vehicle: 2.4 Hi Lux 4x4 DC 95'
Club VHF Licence: ZS3EP

Post by Knersus »

Wel 'n 10 pond hammer kan sekerlik alles wat kromis reguit kry :P (Sal maar so paar hammers aan die Bulls ondersteuners skenk) Wel ek sal se op 'n gewone platkar moet mens wheel alighnment elke 10 000km laat doen. Op 'n SFA sal hy net uitgaan as jy regtig oor heavy terein gery het en dalk jou stearing arm gestamp het, of dalk as die vooras op die vere geskuif het :?: Die kans dat dit net sommer uitgaan is baie skraal....die goed is nog ysters en vat baie om uit plek te gaan. Maar los wheelbearings en ball joints kan verseker die wielle ook laat skeef loop.
Eben Pienaar
2.4 Hi Lux 22R 95'
Codan HF radio; Kenwood VHF Hi band; Tait VHF midband; Snorkel; OME suspension; Diff lock on next shortlist. Dis lekker om 'n mens te wees....Jy moet net 'n lekker mens wees
legend35
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by legend35 »

Ek dink dan dit is tyd ,want ek was maarn birtjie rof oor die klippe voordat Cassie my n bietjie touwys gemaak het :shock:
ImageImageImageImage
Cowley branch and freeflow,long range tank,dual battery system,home made front and rear bumpers.
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Ek dink die grootste ding van offroad is:

So stadig moontlik en so vinnig as nodig.... :)
To God be the glory
legend35
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by legend35 »

Presies wat jy my gese het,nou moet ek dit nog net regkry.
ImageImageImageImage
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Stel dit so Johan.... daai laaste paar osticles wat ons gedoen het na die ander die hasepad gekies het, sou ek nie gesê het jy is 'n beginner as ek nie geweet het nie. Jy het elke keer die perfekte hoeveelheid momentum en throtel beheer gehad. Ons sal volgende keer bietjie moeilikker obsticles aan pak en vanneer dit bietjie droeër is want daai obsticles wat ons gery het raak moeilikker as dit droeër word :shock: :shock:

Maar daar is niks so goed soos om jou hande vuil te kry en eksperience op te doen nie :)
To God be the glory
legend35
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by legend35 »

Dis goed so,se net die plek en die tyd en ek is daar.Dis soos n gogga wat my gebyt het :)
ImageImageImageImage
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Daar hoef jy niks te verduidelik nie. Ek het klomp sulke byt plekke :)
To God be the glory
Bloedcraft
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Hilux 4x4 3.0L v6

Post by Bloedcraft »

Hi Ouens

Hierdie voertuig kom met daai camber net so uit die fabriek uit. SFA se camber kan wel verstel word, deur middel van 'n produk met die naam van "cast O line". Dis 'n maatskapy in australie met die naam van "safe T steer" wat dit vervaardig. Dit is 'n esentriese bearing wat die camber verander sodat dit nader aan zero is. Die camber wat Toyota so as standaard in die as in bou is glo om beter "off road" te werk en met die draai aksie te help.

Hoop dit help!!!

cheers

W
SuidWes

Post by SuidWes »

Thanks Wimpie,

Ja mens kan nie andersins caster of camber stel nie.

Myne was toe 100% reg en die enigste manier om te verhoed dat bande te veel aan die buitekant afloop is om die bande gereeld te roeteer.

Het ook gesien dat die bande nie meer 100% rond is nie en gaan hierdie week die vervaardigers sien……..

Return to “The Workshop”