Fix BT 50 brakes URGENT!

Of course there are people who only dream about driving a Hilux or Cruiser. They are welcome to show us their current vehicles here, ask questions or post some exciting new releases.
Musselcracker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 1989 SFA D/C

Fix BT 50 brakes URGENT!

Post by Musselcracker »

Hi there guys

I almost feel guilty posting this here, it feels as if I am cheating on Gertie my hilux!

Anyways at work we have a mazda bt 50 that we use for towing a boats up to Sodwana and spends a lot of time cruising the freeway then working hard in low range trailering boats and in the sand!

After this last trip back I have noticed that in the mornings the back left brake has locked into the drum (well thats how it feels) and I have to put it in low range and rock it back and forth to get it unstuck and free! Once it is free, it is fine for the entire days driving....

There is no time to book this car in and get it look at as it has to leave on Saturday again! Has anyone had a simliar problem and how did you fix it? Has any one got a brake drawing so if I pull the brake apart i can hopefully get it back together!

Here is hoping the hilux guys are way more superior and techno savy than the excuse for a mazda forum!

Chris
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Re: Fix BT 50 brakes URGENT!

Post by CasKru »

I'm guessing that drum release mechanism is not working properly anymore. Have you opened the drum at all? Could be rust. I would open it up, take a picture of how everything fits, take it apart, clean, put some copper compound on the contact patches (the part where the shoes rub against the back plate) and refit.
To God be the glory
jacques kotze
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: 2,8 4x4 Auto Fortuner. 2,8 4x4 Hilux singlecab.

Re: Fix BT 50 brakes URGENT!

Post by jacques kotze »

I had experience much the same with my Lux. But usually it happens when you drive in deep water or launch a boat in your case. It only happen once or twice with me. I didn't do anything to it. It "fixed itself" :lol: I don't think it is much to worry about. . .I think :?:

Return to “Other Vehicles”