Move rear diff lock to the front diff?

Discuss modifications on your new shape Hilux here. 2005 till current. Also called the Vigo in other countries.
jacques kotze
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: 2,8 4x4 Auto Fortuner. 2,8 4x4 Hilux singlecab.

Move rear diff lock to the front diff?

Post by jacques kotze »

Hi all!
Can anyone correct me if I'm wrong. Is it possible to move the rear diff lock to the front diff in a 3.0 d4d 4x4 and install a LSD in the rear diff? The reason I'm thinking it might work is a diff lock doesn't help unless it is in 4L and the lock is engaged. If you have a LSD in the rear it will give you more traction in case of wheel spin for example on hard slippery surfaces like town driving. And also in off road conditions. When driving off road you can engage the front diff lock and the LSD will do it's part. Will it work? And is it worth it?
:thumbup: :thumbup:
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Re: Move rear diff lock to the front diff?

Post by Hoppy »

Good idea in theory, but your front and rear diffs are different sizes, the front one is much smaller and the front CV joints breaks if a front locker is fitted
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
Fred79
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Kent UK
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Icon 2.4

Post by Fred79 »

Hi Jaques

Ek kan nou nie jou vraag beantwoord nie maar indien jy die ombouing kan doen dink ek dit sal nie regtig die geld werd wees nie. My bakkie het LSD en ek kon nog nie 'n verskil voel op gladde nat paaie nie. Wat jy kort is "traction control" dit maak wel 'n verskil. Die top spec Hilux kom hier by ons met traction control uit en ek het so een getoets bestuur en het probeer om hom te te laat gly om die verkeersirkel toe dit nat was en hy het baie ge-grip.

Ons kry nou weer glad nie "diff lock" in die 3.0 modelle nie, net in die 2.5's.
jacques kotze
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by jacques kotze »

Hoppy wrote:Good idea in theory, but your front and rear diffs are different sizes, the front one is much smaller and the front CV joints breaks if a front locker is fitted
Thanks Allan, When you say the front cv joints will brake when using a front locker, what mod should be done to make the cv,s handle the strain? the reason I ask is, I know and heard of a lot of people some on the forum who installed a front locker and as far as I know they didn't make any changes to the cv,s? Thanks :thumbup:
jacques kotze
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by jacques kotze »

Fred79 wrote:Hi Jaques

Ek kan nou nie jou vraag beantwoord nie maar indien jy die ombouing kan doen dink ek dit sal nie regtig die geld werd wees nie. My bakkie het LSD en ek kon nog nie 'n verskil voel op gladde nat paaie nie. Wat jy kort is "traction control" dit maak wel 'n verskil. Die top spec Hilux kom hier by ons met traction control uit en ek het so een getoets bestuur en het probeer om hom te te laat gly om die verkeersirkel toe dit nat was en hy het baie ge-grip.

Ons kry nou weer glad nie "diff lock" in die 3.0 modelle nie, net in die 2.5's.
Dankie vir die info Frikkie, Ek was nie regtig van plan om die ombouing te doen nie. Ek het net al baie daaroor gewonder en gedink ek vra bietjie op die forum oor hoe dit sal werk en of dit ooit sal werk. Nou hoef ek nie meer te wonder nie, Dankie vir jou info :thumbup: :thumbup:
AM Racing
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: East London
Vehicle: Range Rover Classic V8

Post by AM Racing »

For the Vigo shape I would do a LSD up front because of the cv joints. there are heavier duty cv's available from the land of OZ but $$$! There is no give in a locked diff and cv's WILL break on impact. The SFA is not so much of a problem as they dont have cv joints......
ImageImageImage
Christian Kuun
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Stellenbosch
Vehicle: 2008 Tuna V6 4x4 Manual

Post by Christian Kuun »

I was also going to the only mod that would make the CV's last would be a SAS. Then a locker would be lekker!
Wynkop Kuun

O82 6l5 8lO5

Return to “Late 2005 - 2016 Hilux (Gen 6 aka Vigo-shape)”