Stretch headbolts

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Bushwacker
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Vryheid Natal
Vehicle: 2003 HILEX, 35" maxxis. 2009 Prado 120 VX

Stretch headbolts

Post by Bushwacker »

Enige iemand al daarvan gehoor. Ek het vandag my KZ ingevat dat die headbolts getorque word na 1000Km volgens wat ek al gehoor het, maar die mec sê dis nie nodig nie, die nuwe boute rek.
SYRON CONVERSIONS
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Tamboekieland
Vehicle: SFA HILUX

Re: Stretch headbolts

Post by SYRON CONVERSIONS »

Yes this is correct, most new engines have these special headbolts, sometimes they even have allen key heads, however your vehicle should also have hydraulic valves, in other words you do not adjust them, the gap is set using special shims, normally by the factory when the engine is manufactured.
1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan
Bushwacker
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Bushwacker »

It has a type of star shaped head, and they cost me R1600 for the set. The mec who fixed it for me said that the black smoke I am experiencing now could be because of heat damage to the injectors. Does it make sense to you?
SYRON CONVERSIONS
Town: Tamboekieland
Vehicle: SFA HILUX

Post by SYRON CONVERSIONS »

Yes the hex shape bolts are stretch bolts, did you have the engine overhauled, or did you only do the cylinder head, black smoke can come from a few places.

Injectors
Fuel injector pump
Dirty air filter element
Injector pump adjusted too high (they normally adjust the injector pump fuel higher when the customer complains that his or her vehicle has no power).

Compression
Incorrectly adjusted valve clearences.
Check that the air intake system does not have a blockage, somtimes a cloth or rag can get inside by mistake or even a rat or mice.
1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan
Bushwacker
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Bushwacker »

Only the head, bolts, gasket, fuel & oil filters & oil was changed & my wallet size.

Return to “The Workshop”