31" 0r 33" tires some more questions!!!!!

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
dustbuster
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Richards Bay
Vehicle: Rebuilding 91 D/C Hilux Mboza Body, OME 4Y EFI, & 91 S/C 4Y Hilux

31" 0r 33" tires some more questions!!!!!

Post by dustbuster »

Hi Guys I got to but new tires on my hilux for the rebuild now was wondering if I should put 31” or 33” what are the pros and cons between the two,
Will the 4Y with EFI be powerful enough for 33” tires?

How does the bigger tires affect the vehicle will I break stuff coz there will be more torque as the tires are bigger? Would like 33” as I think they look much better but is it worth the extra money and mainly going to use the hilux for over landing next year.
:crazy: :crazy:
Andre du preez
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: somerset west
Vehicle: hilux 2.2

Re: 31" 0r 33" tires some more questions!!!!!

Post by Andre du preez »

Ek het so tyd terug vir my 30"m/t op gesit voor dit het ek 255" h/t tyres op gehaat. 31" lyk cool en als maaaaar 4y op lang trips 31" dalk maar nie 33". As ek kan se kyk rond vir n 30"tires wat groot vertoon.Of as jy dalk iemand ken of sien wat 33" op het vra of jy kan saam ry voor jy koop. :thumbup:
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

I'm running 33"s on my rig... 4Y EFi... over the Easter weekend it completed 1700km, of which +- 1000 were on tar and the rest on gravel... 33"s make a huge difference offroad, my bakkie didn't struggle on any of the 4 4x4 trails we did, and the ride is softer offroad, when compared to 31's or smaller. In terms of fuel consumption you will loose about 5%... I do get 8km/l on some open road stretches though(@ 100 to 110km/h), in town 6-6.5km/l depending on right foot behaviour, on the open road 120+ the consumption gets alot worse quickly! Must remember thought that the 33"s may require other mods, like an axle move, maybe a 50mm body lift and possibly lengthening of the front prop shaft. I opted for extended shackles over the body lift(cheaper), but in the long run a body lift is better!

I was considering going back to 31's but after this weekend tour, the 33's will stay... but now I'd like a bigger engine... 1JZ, 2JZ or 1UZ...

So Bolt's potent 93Kw 4Y EFi(complete) may be up for grabs in future!
dustbuster
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by dustbuster »

Ya I think I should put 31" to start off on maybe at a later stage when I do a conversion to a bigger engine I will put 33" on let me do my trips into Africa first

:think: :think:

then is the difficult choice on where to go all terrains or mud’s
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

I went from 31's down to 30's for various reasons ...... can't say I was disappointed other than they looked a little small to what I had been used to. Power increased as well as fuel consumption ..... braking also improved, and of course there is less strain on the drive-train components. I am back on 31's .... not entirely by choice, but 31's are still OK and most SFA's should be able to handle them without mods.

Besides being more pleasing to the eye, there are not that many benefits to bigger tyres that would make me go rush out and do all the necessary modifications to my vehicle so that I can fit them ..... there has to be a balance and that will vary a bit from one person to the next.

The benefits of bigger diameter tyres (as I see it) would be,

A bigger air cushion if you still stay with 15" rims .... this means slightly better ride comfort generally as well as the possibility of a bigger foot in sand when deflated.

A slightly better ground clearance ... sometimes that extra inch makes all the difference between 'klapping' the diffs or not.

And a bigger diameter tyre does not fall as deeply into holes as the smaller ones. This helps to improve off-road capability.

The downside is that any increase in ride height negatively affects COG. Additional strain on drive-train and steering components. Lesser capability on braking. The need and subsequent cost of the modifications often required to accommodate the bigger tyres. :think:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
dustbuster
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by dustbuster »

Thanks Andy think you right, the 31" I think is the way to go it's a good all round tire size good for 4X4ing and not to big as to put additional strain on the drive train like the 33" will.
cheetah
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 1994 Hilux d/c 2.2

Post by cheetah »

dustbuster wrote:Ya I think I should put 31" to start off on maybe at a later stage when I do a conversion to a bigger engine I will put 33" on let me do my trips into Africa first

:think: :think:

then is the difficult choice on where to go all terrains or mud’s
Dean, stay with 31", for normal overlanding it is fine, 31" tires you will get all over in Africa, with 33" it will be a problem.
To fit 33" you had to move the diff forward R2000 and body lift R2000.
You can buy six 33" and safe money :idea:
Lets you think :think:
Anton
dustbuster
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by dustbuster »

Hi

My friend has 5 of these GT rims that he will sell to me he says they are 8J rims I don’t know much on tires and rims but will 8J rims be okay if I want to fit 31”x10.5 tires and will they fit onto the hilux okay don’t want them to stick out to much and look funny. Also saw some new hilux rims lying there as well has anyone put these on a SFA before do they fit?

cheers
IMG-20110511-00011 (Medium).jpg
Maddoglips
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: P.E.
Vehicle: Raider 2.2 4x4; Mikem 50mm raised suspension, long range tank, Monroe gasses all round.

Post by Maddoglips »

Dean Nice rims, just need a clean :thumbup:

You welcome to send them down to me and I'll gladly try them out for you :lol:

Do you know the name of that specific wheel? Not the GT Wheel on the side :twisted:
It's better to Burn Out then Fade Away.
ismail
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux '03 2700i SC 4x4

Post by ismail »

Zane, its a ZAX Classix rim
'93 DC 2.2 4x4 33" BF KM2's 60mm lift, Fakawi Canvas Canopy. SOLD
'03 SC 2700i 4x4 32" BFG KM2, SAC stage 1, OME springs, Rancho 9000XL shocks, ARB, Escape Gear seatcovers - goes like a bomb!!!!!!!!!

I surf more than I work
2.8 d/cab SFA
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Boksburg
Vehicle: Yamaha R1

Post by 2.8 d/cab SFA »

Got 31" on good grip oofroad, has nice look and size, mag rim protected by high tyre, not issues with tyre touching even when articulated axel
John
Real Trucks Don't Have Sparkplugs!
ImageImage
Maddoglips
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: P.E.
Vehicle: Raider 2.2 4x4; Mikem 50mm raised suspension, long range tank, Monroe gasses all round.

Post by Maddoglips »

ismail wrote:Zane, its a ZAX Classix rim

Beaut of a rim, thanks Ismail.
It's better to Burn Out then Fade Away.
Hi-Hilux
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Tsumeb
Vehicle: 1991 Hilux2.2 ---1987 Hilux D/C Hella 1000, Rancho RS9000XL shocks, Good Year M/TR, Warn Winch, STK bullbar, Extended shacles, Kenwood VHF-SOLD

Post by Hi-Hilux »

Ja die 8j is reg, ek het 30x9.5 op 8j
Is gebed jou spaarwiel of jou stuurwiel?
'Life is a coin. You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it ONCE'

Return to “The Workshop”