Help Please : Diesel 2L Engine Compression

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Nullack
Town: Australia
Vehicle: LN65R Dual Cab

Help Please : Diesel 2L Engine Compression

Post by Nullack »

Ok the book says that the 2L diesel motors nominal compression pressure should be 455 psi, minimum 284 psi and the maximum variation between cylinders of 71psi.

Cylinder 1 is 500 and leakdown is 8%
Cylinder 2 is 350 and leakdown is 30%
Cylinder 3 is 440 and leakdown is 26%
Cylinder 4 is 500 and leakdown is 10%

So cylinder 2 is way out of allowed spec and cylinder 3 is borderline.

Can someone please help me understand what this means for the engine and if I can rely on it or not.
SYRON CONVERSIONS
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Tamboekieland
Vehicle: SFA HILUX

Re: Help Please : Diesel 2L Engine Compression

Post by SYRON CONVERSIONS »

What application did you use when you did the check, did you use a dummy injector connected to the tester gauge.
1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan
SYRON CONVERSIONS
Town: Tamboekieland
Vehicle: SFA HILUX

Re: Help Please : Diesel 2L Engine Compression

Post by SYRON CONVERSIONS »

If your readings are correct, they seem to be within spec refering to your book, but cylinder 2 could be a problem, but depending on where and how you will be using this vehicle will determine if you want to do an overhaul, do not think that with the replacement of only the rings will sort this problem out. It will not.
1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan

Return to “The Workshop”