Aircon efficiency

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
PENKOP
Town: VREDENDAL
Vehicle: 1992 HILUX 2.2

Aircon efficiency

Post by PENKOP »

Hi I am a new member and the proud owner of a 1992 SFA 2.2 D/C. We have done a fantastic tour through Kaoko land (including Van Zyl's pass) in May 2010. The aircon is not very effective in slow driving and dusty conditions. Any suggestions how to improve or rectify? The aircon was regassed just before we left and apparently this is old technology.
Regards.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Aircon efficiency

Post by Mud Dog »

Hi Appie and welcome! :thumbup: I moved this topic to 'The workshop" forum since it is more apt here. AFAIK the old flouro-carbon gas was more efficient but I was once told that in order for the A/C to work properly your revs should be at least 2000 rpm.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

What I've seen with mine before is it works very efficient for a long while then it's just as if it does not get any cold air through. If I then switch it of for a while and start it up again, it works like a charm. My conclusion was that it freezes up and then does not alow any air through (not sure if this is what actually happens)
To God be the glory
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

CasKru wrote:What I've seen with mine before is it works very efficient for a long while then it's just as if it does not get any cold air through. If I then switch it of for a while and start it up again, it works like a charm. My conclusion was that it freezes up and then does not alow any air through (not sure if this is what actually happens)
This is probably exactly what happens, Cassie .... not uncommon.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
PENKOP

Post by PENKOP »

PENKOP wrote:Hi I am a new member and the proud owner of a 1992 SFA 2.2 D/C. We have done a fantastic tour through Kaoko land (including Van Zyl's pass) in May 2010. The aircon is not very effective in slow driving and dusty conditions. Any suggestions how to improve or rectify? The aircon was regassed just before we left and apparently this is old technology.
Regards.
Dankie vir die terugvoer. Jammer dat ek noueers reageer maar ek en die elektronika(Rekenaars) in nognie so in lyn met mekaar nie. Wat van 'n ander kompressor om die probleem te oorkom?
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Appie, I think you first need to verify what the problem is specifically. If it's icing up then it's working too well and you might need to turn off the compressor at intervals or have the expansion valve adjusted / replaced. If it's not working well enough it might be loosing gas or the compressor is on it's way out. Either way, it's better to put it in the hands of a reputable professional IMO.

Good luck! :winkx:

ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

Appie welkom by die forum. :)

old vs new - the old R12 and new R134a refrigerants are very close to each other, with the R134a being slightly MORE "efficient".

This is probably more a case of old technology. The new models manage to be very effective, even at idling revs. Older models had to be above 2000 rpm, even closer to high way speed - both in revs AND actual speed. The engine revs was needed for the compressor to pump the refrigerant, and the vehicle speed was needed to help with air flow over the aircon coil.

Then dont forget that aircon is designed for a particular "climate" - most systems are designed to cope with ambient conditions of upto about 35 degrees C, after this point the efficiency DROPS !

Point being, for the 40 + days we have been having one really cant expect too much from these old systems, especially at low speeds
PENKOP

Post by PENKOP »

Hi Chris,
Thanks for your input. I spoke to a friend of mine who bussiness also cover the installation and servicing of aircons. He sugested to remove the heat exchanger and clean it properly because dust accumelates over time and decrease efficiency. He the changes the fittings on the compressor for regassing with new type (R134a?) and replace the dryer. Additionaly he install an electric fan which swithes on as soon as the compressor draws current. This provides for cooling the condenser during slow driving. This sounds intersting and I plan to do that route and let you know how effective it is.
ChrisF wrote:Appie welkom by die forum. :)

old vs new - the old R12 and new R134a refrigerants are very close to each other, with the R134a being slightly MORE "efficient".

This is probably more a case of old technology. The new models manage to be very effective, even at idling revs. Older models had to be above 2000 rpm, even closer to high way speed - both in revs AND actual speed. The engine revs was needed for the compressor to pump the refrigerant, and the vehicle speed was needed to help with air flow over the aircon coil.

Then dont forget that aircon is designed for a particular "climate" - most systems are designed to cope with ambient conditions of upto about 35 degrees C, after this point the efficiency DROPS !

Point being, for the 40 + days we have been having one really cant expect too much from these old systems, especially at low speeds
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

Appie klink of daai pel van jou weet waarvan hy praat ! :)

Redelike klompie arbeid, so dit kan duur uitwerk .... maar as dit n goeie pel is ... :)
Gunta
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 1996 80 series Land Cruiser VX 4500 EFI UK Import. Long range tank, Iron man suspension, ARB Bullbar, Front and rear diff locks, 33" BFG muds, Snorkel and attitude.

Post by Gunta »

The fans deffinitely work well. On my 7mge there is no space in the grill for my condensor so I put 2 under the vehicle with fans blowing through them and my aircon is colder than it was before.
Worry about the things you can do something about, If you can't don't worry.
Live life to the fullest with no regrets.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Additionaly he install an electric fan which swithes on as soon as the compressor draws current. This provides for cooling the condenser during slow driving. This sounds intersting and I plan to do that route and let you know how effective it is.
As I said, I did this on my previous vehicle and it was so effective I had condensation vapour coming out of the vents. ;-)

Doom
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Windhoek
Vehicle: '92 Hilux 2.2 DC 4x4 - "Boetman"; '96 Toyota Hilux 4x4 - Lexus, 98 Toyota Hilux 2.4 4x4

Post by Doom »

Hou ons asb op hoogte van sake en kostes daaraan verbonde! :thumbup:
ImageImageImageImageImage
LOS MAAR DIE KAAS, GENIET DIT NET !!
PENKOP

Post by PENKOP »

Hi Hiluxers,
Net gou terugvoer oor die verandering op die lugversorging. Het dit laas week laat doen (R 1 970 later). Die hitte uitruiler is skoongemaak, 'n elektriese waaier voor die verkoeler, nuwe gas en 'n droër en dit werk baie beter. Nognie getoets tydens stadige rytoestande nie maar in ons 40 grade plus omgewing werk dit heel aanvaarbaar. Wil nog net die waaierspoed ondersoek om meer lugvloei in die kajuit te kry.
Groete
Gunta
Vehicle: 1996 80 series Land Cruiser VX 4500 EFI UK Import. Long range tank, Iron man suspension, ARB Bullbar, Front and rear diff locks, 33" BFG muds, Snorkel and attitude.

Post by Gunta »

Has anyone ever tried to change the fan to get more air in the vehicle? I have been thinking about doing the for a long time now?
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Mr B did this a while ago, not sure how successful it was but I'm sure he'll throw a word or two this way.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2018 FJ Cruiser
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

Apparently the fan from a Tazz fits on the Hilux mountings, and blows more air. Mr-B and other tried with additional fan blades and stuff, but I dont recall them having a lot of success. :alvarin: :alvarin:
Thys de Jager
Fired as CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2018 FJ Cruiser - #stofgevreet
1984 Mercedes 126 Black Widow Vernon Koekemoer Edition
email: thysdj@gmail.com

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Gunta

Post by Gunta »

Has anyone tried the Tazz fan?
shaunmeizter
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Bellville
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 2.4 DC & Fortuna 3D4D 4x4

Post by shaunmeizter »

Weet iemand van goeie aircon service en repair in slaapstad omgewing?
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

Hi Shaun
Allan gebruik 'n oompie in Stikland.Ek weet nie wat sy nommer is nie.jy sal by Allan moet hoor
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
Kat
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Kraaifontein
Vehicle: Hilux SFA

Post by Kat »

Gunta wrote:Has anyone ever tried to change the fan to get more air in the vehicle? I have been thinking about doing the for a long time now?
Hallo Gunta
Het cressida fan ingesit, blaas bietjie sterker as oorspronklike fan en pas mooi.Fan kom uit Gli 6 cressida met aircon. hoop dit help.
Gunta

Post by Gunta »

Eugene, can you feel the difference?

Return to “The Workshop”