The Mighty BroSpeed

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

The Mighty BroSpeed

Post by Mr_B »

Hi Folks,

I would, yes, like to pick your brains. I recently had my 4Y engine rebuilt and the so called BroSpeed AR40 cam fitted. Basically I don't like the effect, the mod has stolen quite a bit of that traditional low end torque. I really enjoyed the low down torque the vehicle had before the rebuild.

What has your experience been of the YoBro conversion? Could I be missing a trick somewhere?

Bretton
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Re: The Mighty BroSpeed

Post by BenHur »

The problem with these conversions are that the guys who design them are street racers not ofroaders. This picture shows you what they do to the torque curve
torque.jpg
torque.jpg (9.97 KiB) Viewed 1302 times
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

Hi Bennie,

To confirm, I spoke to Alan Venter from AEV, he says the AR40 cam is a street cam and not suitable for 4x4ing. Bugger!

Thats what happens when a street mod company rebuilts the engine... Learnt my lesson!

He has a profile they use on the 4Y, which increases torque and power, but makes the engine run a little rougher. One of my friends, Craig, has this cam in his Hilux(with GoTech EFI) and the results are unbelievable, even running with 35inch tyres.

By the way have you sorted F_D's EFI yet? I chatted to Wessel of 4xTECH, he says the intake/plenum chamber of the EFI has it's own built-in idle stabilisation(probably mechanical), that most guys don't know about and don't know how to setup, interesting...

BGE
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

The idling stablising he revers to is various mecahical idle ups. If you get a vacuum leak in anoy of them it is a bugger to sort out that is why we got rid of them all in favour of the single electronic one, and it has the added benifit that the ecu can actaully keep the engine going at idel speed even under load.

My bug is/was the dizzy integration. We want to keep the Toyota Dizzy with the coil in. I spoke to Alan end he agree that they do always revert back to the external coil setup but then you have the water inside the dizzy issue which the E-dizzys do not have. It is also quite involved to get the dizzys integrated his way with machine (engineering) work required.

My problem was that I was picking up false pulses using the magnetic adapter on the original Toy Magnetic pick-up. I moved the mag adapter to just outside the dizzy and the problem seems to be gone. I suspect the high energy from the coil inside the dizzy generated electrical noise. I will fit the mag adapter just outside the dizzy. I bought a little plastic housing at the local electro nix shop to house it in.

SO far it seems OK but if we are not totally happy with it we can go and buy a complete optical conversion kit for this dizzy from Mr Turbo for R 350.

I hope you get the Cam sorted quickly. :wink:
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

Hi Bennie,

Interesting, I was thinking of letting Wessel do the EFI conversion for me, if money allows. While I was chatting with him, I mentioned that I would like to keep the original dizzi and use it's magnetic pickup. He said this has caused many problems in the past because alot of electrical noise is generated by the magnetic pickup/coil pack and in his experience the TP100/500(can't remember which one) doesn't 'clean' the pulse signal properly, leading possibly to the issues you have now experienced. He also said the GoTech and Dicktator rely on getting a nice clean pulse signal to operate properly, so the optical option is probably a good one. Oh, I did notice on the wiring diagram of the Dicktator that they show a 'magnetic converter' between the ECU and dizzi, and at the dizzi they mention the Toyota mag dizzi, is this the TP100? Or is this a different converter?

I'm sure Ericnnie must be itching to get his baby back :-)
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

The one on the diagram is the one I am using. It seems like it will work if you fit it just outside the coil. I have not tried the TP 500 but the Dicktator's Mag Adapter performs the same function. It seems to be a question of placement.

Return to “The Workshop”