Chinese 4y - broken oil fill cap

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Jaco Versfeld
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Western Cape
Vehicle: Moms Taxi, 2001 Prado (The Barbie Cruiser)) Sold - Mufasa: '86 Hilux DC 4Y EFI
Club VHF Licence: X69

Chinese 4y - broken oil fill cap

Post by Jaco Versfeld »

Hi there,

I have two quick questions. hope you can help me out:

1. How many guys experience problems with the oil fill cap of the Fong Kong engines? Mine used to be quite tight, whenever I tried to top up the oil. I deliberately did not fasten it tightly, just to struggle again with it the next day. Am I the only person with this problem?

2. More seriously, what damage could be caused when the oil cap broke completely off. On Saturday we were returning from Mabuasehube. Did a fair amount of dirt roads the morning, also drove behind my brother for quite a while on the dirt roads with lots of dust, etc. When we reached the border post at McArthys' Rest, we noticed the broken oil cap for the first time. We could not find anything else, so used the cap of a transmission oil bottle and some isolation tape winded around the side to prevent the cap from falling into the cylinder head. Used duck tape to seal off everything. Not the best solution, but this could get me home on a Saturday afternoon when everything was closed (drove about 500 km this way, stopping at every town on the way at the spares shops, needless to say all were closed / didn't have the part).

I feel that I should at least replace the oil and oil filter. I wonder how much dirt could have entered while I was driving. I am definitely going to replace the cap with a Toyota one, and will have a spare on my next trip.
Last edited by Jaco Versfeld on Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Evert Deyzel
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 94 Hilux DC 2.2

Re: Chinese 4y - broken oil fill cap

Post by Evert Deyzel »

Hi Jaco.

Ek het n fong kong 4y by commercial gekoop n ruk terug.
Net die head, block en sump...
Het verlede jaar desember in Leshoto die selfde ding gehad.
Het die bonnet oopgemaak om n ander ou te jump start toe sien ek my oil filler cap is ook mo#r toe....
Het toe ook met duct tape ens. n plan gemaak mar kon by die naaste dorp n spare kry...

Ek verstaan n ie hoe dit gebeur nie, ek het ook soos jy altyd gekyk dat ek hom nie te styf vasmaak nie...
Hoop iemand kan ons dalk bietjie meer insig gee.
Anyway, ek het die olie en die filter vervang en het al sedert dien nog +- 10 000km gedoen en daar is niks fout nie..

Sterkte
Evert
92 Hilux dc 2.2
MikeM suspension with 50mm lift

ImageImageImage
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 1996

Re: Chinese 4y - broken oil fill cap

Post by LouisZ »

Myne is nog ok. Ek dink net hulle materiaal kan nie die hitte hanteer en dan raak dit bros.

Return to “The Workshop”