Import Hilux

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Boltz
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: '94 Hilux D/C

Import Hilux

Post by Boltz »

Hi there, i bought my Lux a couple of months ago and as far as i know its an import.
How do i make sure its an import and what are the differances between the normal and import!
Im mostly interested in th mechanical differances and where do i find parts at a good price, im busy rebuilding both axles and replacing all bearings and seals on the drive-train. and full suspension replacement.

Gonna go in for a full respray in about a month or two, and rubberise the interior, redid the interior when i got it but will not do well with water, so if someone wants a new carpet, bench seat and door panels, make me an offer (its all black). new door panels will be alu(powder coated black)
Any and all help will be appreciated
Attachments
DSC00132.jpg
DSC00133.jpg
sorry bout quality
sorry bout quality
my baby
my baby
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2018 FJ Cruiser
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Re: Import Hilux

Post by ThysdJ »

What year model is your Hilux?

Powder coated aluminium door panels will look super cool, are you going to put some sort of sound proofing material behind the aluminium ?
Thys de Jager
Fired as CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2018 FJ Cruiser - #stofgevreet
1984 Mercedes 126 Black Widow Vernon Koekemoer Edition
email: thysdj@gmail.com

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Boltz
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Boltz »

Its a '86
yup, its very similar to dynamat but its locally produced or so im told, its cheaper but works just as well.
Was advertised in one of the car magazines a while back, ill find out which one pretty sure its CAR though
naasburger
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Pomona
Vehicle: 96' Hilux DC 4x4

Post by naasburger »

Hi There

As far as I know the imported models use exactly the same diffs ect. as our local models. From your picture it looks like our local models, only thing may be that your rear lights are mounted up on each side of the tailgate, and not underneath.

Apparently Toyota fenture rear lights fit right in if you want to replace the old ones.

Then Gemini parts in JHB import genuine Toyota parts, as well as Japanese pirate parts at very good prices: 011 334 1417

Also, N1 4x4 sell aftermarket seal kits for replacing the seals round the balls on the front diff. Much cheaper than Toyota. I had mine made up at Gasket SA in Spartan Kempton Park when I did my front diff. Compleate wheelbearing kits with oil seals are available at Bearing Man and then the 4 small cup & cone load bearings on the front diff is a very expensive bearing.

Phone around for the best price, a place in Benoni had when I needed mine for R139 each. Toyota will charge you R450 each. Cant remember the place in Benoni though, will try and get the number.

Hope you are from JHB otherwise all this info is useless.
1996 Hilux DC 4x4 2.4 Petrol standard, Ironman Suspension with extended shacles, Modified colt nudge-M bumper front with Warn Winch. Self-made bumper rear, Long range tank, 32" BF Muds, 15" x 8J Steel rims.

For Truck Tyres or Generators contact me at: 082 214 9699
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

Hi there,

If it's a 86 model then it's an import, the main visual difference is the lights on the tailgate of the load bin, they are on the sides, not on the bottom like the locally assembled version. Also the diffs are different, locally made 1989+(I think) have locally sourced GearMax diffs, the import has a diff from Japan. The main issue here is when you decide to install a diff lock, front or back you will need a different one to the one for the GearMax diffs, which is, if I remember correctly, a bit more expensive and the GearMax one. I have an import as well and the guys have told me the import diff is stronger than the local GearMax one. Other than that I don't think there are any differences, some of the imports came out with a brown interior and dash, I think the local versions are all grey and black, might be wrong...

Good luck with all the mods, it's great fun to work on a legendary vehicle!

Bretton
Boltz
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Boltz »

Thanks for the info guys just a question on the drum brakes, toyota says the drums are different and they wanna charge me a grand per drum, so i told them to get knotted, can i get these drums from a normal spares shop and are they actually different?

I do live in jhb, the reason i ask so many questions is because im 22 i dont know too much about this car, but its still fun!
cprinsloo
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: 1998 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: X52

Post by cprinsloo »

Hi Boltz,

Good luck with all your ventures. The OEM vs. other vendor (or pirate) route will always be an issue. Personally, I have no problem on fitting third party equipment to my vehicles. I fail to see why a SKF or Timkin bearing at a third of the price will not do the job just as well, or why Ferrodo disks will be inferior. After all, I don't think that Toyota (or any other manufacturer) fabricates every single component, they also use suplliers for certain items. Another example: a 22R complete gasket set from the dealers = R 1900, a Payen gasket set from Midas = R 500. Is the Payen that much inferior? I don't think so, but that's just my opinion. Of course, you must also discriminate between vendors. I don't think there's anything wrong with Payen, Ferodo, SKF, Timkin etc. but I wouldn't fit brands that I don't know anything of.

I replaced both rear drums and brake shoes and the other innards of the one side for R 900, labour included.

I think the manufacturers are forced to supply OEM parts for a certain time after manufacturing of certain models ceased, and maybe that's one of the reasons OEM are so expensive, the "holding cost" is driving the price up.

Cheers,

Chris
1998 Hilux D/C Lexus VVTi
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

cprinsloo wrote: and maybe that's one of the reasons OEM are so expensive, the "holding cost" is driving the price up.
:? :? Not so sure about that one I think it is rather a case of greed :? :?
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

My Girl has a brown Interior and tail lights on the side - All sings of an Import :?: :?:

But the badge under the bonnet says:

Made In South Africa :o :!:

How does that work then :?: :? :?

Confused

Rich

Ps. The pirate tail gate and loadbox is rusting away horribly, but the body is 'sound as a pound'
naasburger
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Pomona
Vehicle: 96' Hilux DC 4x4

Post by naasburger »

I think what they mean with import is, that at that stage of production Toyota SA didnt make everything in our local factory, like the rear diff was imported as a complete unit. Later models had the local GearMax diffs. As well as the whole tail section of the body was also imported instead of making it here. The rest of the vehicle I beleive was still manufacturerd in SA.

Just a thought, dont know if I'm 100% correct.
1996 Hilux DC 4x4 2.4 Petrol standard, Ironman Suspension with extended shacles, Modified colt nudge-M bumper front with Warn Winch. Self-made bumper rear, Long range tank, 32" BF Muds, 15" x 8J Steel rims.

For Truck Tyres or Generators contact me at: 082 214 9699
leonbrink
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Pretoria East
Vehicle: Hilux

Post by leonbrink »

Boltz wrote:Gonna go in for a full respray in about a month or two, and rubberise the interior, redid the interior when i got it but will not do well with water, so if someone wants a new carpet, bench seat and door panels, make me an offer (its all black)
Hi Boltz!

I want it please!! Please PM me your details, I need the seats, door panels and carpet for my project.
EDIT: If you still have it.

Thanks

Leon Brink
Groete

Leon
Hilux 4.0 V6 4x4
pampoen
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Gordons Bay
Vehicle: 2011 Hilux DC 3.0 D4D

Post by pampoen »

could you please send a pic of the gearmax diff.mine has brown interior but normal lights at the bottom wih a "6 bolt diff" as the yanks call it.
With each replacement of parts, a car slowly becomes Chinese.
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

The original Toyota (import) diffs can only be accessed from the prop shaft's side by removing the 3rd member but the Local Gearmax diffs has a cover on the opposite side of the diff away from the pinion (input shaft).
pampoen
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Gordons Bay
Vehicle: 2011 Hilux DC 3.0 D4D

Post by pampoen »

Ok mines an import,hey has any of you guys seen a hilux with an oyster shell grey paint job?mine came new with it,it was the only optional extra it came with when it was brand new. :D
With each replacement of parts, a car slowly becomes Chinese.
Musselcracker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 1989 SFA D/C

Post by Musselcracker »

is the carpet still available?
Bosfebok
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Roodekrans
Vehicle: 1995 Hilux Raider 2.2
Club VHF Licence: X248

Post by Bosfebok »

Musselcracker wrote:is the carpet still available?
Chris, I doubt it.. this thread was running in Feb 2008 :crazy:
Otto X248
1995 Hilux Raider 2.2 EFI Turbo DC
Alucab Canopy with Kitchen and Recovery sections
National Luna Split Charge system and Dual Battery
80W solar panel and MPPT controller
20.5" LED BAR
5ton tow bar with recovery points
Nudge-M front bumper
80l Long Range Fuel Tank
90l Water Tank
Slide Drawer System
Safari Snorkel
Double Lockers - Toyota Electric selectable
Diff breathers
The worst anti hi-jack alarm system ever, SANJI!!

A bad day out is still better than a good day in!!

Return to “The Workshop”