Transmision winding question

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Cookie Monster
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2006 Hilux DC V6 Auto 4x4 Oldman Emu suspension

Transmision winding question

Post by Cookie Monster »

Well this is what hapened while away camping this weekend I had a chance to play in the mud and beach sand at Sunday river :mrgreen: So 4x4 was ingaged however when we left the next day I forgot that I was in 4x4 H so when we left the dirt road there was a short distance of tar maybe 400m and then joined up with the N2 anyway as I pulled away onto the highway something told me to look down at the cluster as a accelarated past 70km/h and noticed the 4x4 light was on so I stoped and disingaged 4x4 and unlocked the hubs however non of the usual winding was felt could it be because the wheel diameters are exactly the same as I fitted the coppers about 4000km ago? Or could there be a problem with the 4x4 and it was not engaged :( :? :?: though I had no problems the day before. I am a little worried :( :?:
2006 Hilux DC 4x4 4.0 V6 Old Man Emu suspension, Long Range Fuel Tank and a LA Sport Sump Guard, Natko railings with spade and high lift brackets, LA Sport high lift jack mounts, Powder coated Hilux Nudge Bar, Hella LED light bar, LED Work Light
cprinsloo
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: 1998 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: X52

Re: Transmision winding question

Post by cprinsloo »

Hi Justin,

Did you turn a lot or was the "entry" to the highway straight? Did you turn only to one side (left)? Usually there is some slack in the drive train, which maybe took up some of the wind-up.
I think if you didn't hear some loud noises there shouldn't be any problem, maybe the tyres slid across the surface of the road as well (doubt it because they're new). To test if the 4x4 still works, make sure the hubs are free, engage 4x4, try and turn the front prop shaft by hand, shouldn't be able to (truck should be stationary). Then lock hubs, disengage 4x4, try turning prop shaft again, shouldn't be able to. This will only be a quick test to see if there are any teeth left :D , but the Toy's drive train are quite strong, you shouldn't have destroyed anything, in fact, I have forgotten quite a few times to disengage 4x4, not yet broken anything. Also, you can engage/disengage 4x4 on the fly, as long as the hubs are locked.

Cheers,

Chris
1998 Hilux D/C Lexus VVTi
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

I agree, Toys dont break that easy, you have to realy make U tuns and stuff to brak it in such a short distance. Did you notice any severe under steer and noises while turning? If not forget about it and enjoy Christmas :wink: :wink:
Cookie Monster
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Cookie Monster »

Hi Guys

Thanks for your help. Yes it was a left turn taken very slowly. I took her down to work yesterday and tested her in 4x4 on a 2 poster hoist she is working A ok :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: By the way I was talking to one of my buddies who was a appy at BMW then went to Toyota and qualified there 8 years ago says they only use 85w 140 in the import diffs front and back GL5 raiting so I changed mine to that
2006 Hilux DC 4x4 4.0 V6 Old Man Emu suspension, Long Range Fuel Tank and a LA Sport Sump Guard, Natko railings with spade and high lift brackets, LA Sport high lift jack mounts, Powder coated Hilux Nudge Bar, Hella LED light bar, LED Work Light
SYRON CONVERSIONS
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Tamboekieland
Vehicle: SFA HILUX

Post by SYRON CONVERSIONS »

80 w 90 will also work just as well in the diffs.
1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan
Cookie Monster
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Cookie Monster »

I agree Simon :mrgreen: However as my van has a higher milage I thought it better to use the 85 w 140
SYRON CONVERSIONS
Town: Tamboekieland
Vehicle: SFA HILUX

Post by SYRON CONVERSIONS »

Yes depending on the weather conditions, extreme cold requires an oil that has a thinner viscosity, this basically means that when the oil gets warmed up it thickens and due course you have better protection against wear and tear of the various components of the diff, friction causes heat and thus if the oil is too thick when the friction takes place, it will wear the part more quickly, this is why we get various ratings of oil as well.
1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan

Return to “The Workshop”