Hilux pulls to the left when breaking

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Tycoon
Town: Kliprivier gouteng
Vehicle: 1981 hilux dc\4x4 & 1986 Jeep cj7

Hilux pulls to the left when breaking

Post by Tycoon »

Hi guys

I took my hilux out for a drive today after it has been parked in the garage for the last two weeks, as I approached the first stop I noticed that the hilux was lightly pulling to the left when breaking. It was only when I first applied the breaks and then straitened out, thought it was the road or something, Later I noticed it does this every time I hit the breaks. From a speed of about 80km/h it swerves hectically yet the breaks don’t feel spongy. It feels like the left wheel is breaking before the right.

The break pads and linings where recently replaced and the rear drums replaced.

Back home I crawled under the van checking for leaking break fluid or any thing els.
I also checked for play on the steering and play on the bearings, I also jacked up the front wheels turned them around a couple of times. I can’t see any worn bushes or ball joints, every thing seems to be in it’s place.

Could this be the master cylinder acting up, and if so how could I determine that it is the master cylinder? I replaced it about a year ago with a pirate part and have had no problems till now.

If it isn’t the master cylinder what could it be?

Has any body had the same problem?
Niel
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Re: Hilux pulls to the left when breaking

Post by Niel »

Stephan, Bennie and Syron C (Simon) both posted or replied to a similar topic somewhere on the forum.Maybe they can help
Cookie Monster
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2006 Hilux DC V6 Auto 4x4 Oldman Emu suspension

Post by Cookie Monster »

Hi Tycoon

There are a few possible causes to your problem I take it this is a sort of overnight problem? If so I would check the tyre preasures as that can play a major role however it will also cause the vechile to pull left when driving without using the brakes. The fault could also be caused by a front caliper siezing a bit or the rear drums binding I would check both out for freedom of movement.

Other causes could be that the front axil U bolts may be loose or the wheel alighnment could also be out. I would double check all the ball joints and the wheel bearings. I very much dought it is the master cylinder giving you problems as it is a duel chanel system one half is for the front brakes and the other is for the rear. So equal preasure will be aplied to the right and the left side of the van.

Good Luck :D
2006 Hilux DC 4x4 4.0 V6 Old Man Emu suspension, Long Range Fuel Tank and a LA Sport Sump Guard, Natko railings with spade and high lift brackets, LA Sport high lift jack mounts, Powder coated Hilux Nudge Bar, Hella LED light bar, LED Work Light
Scooter
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: JHB
Vehicle: '94 Raider, '05 Vigo 4.0 v6

Post by Scooter »

Because break fluid absorbs a certain amount of water over the years, you will find that the effect of the two substances on the rubber hoses is also a cause for the pulling. It is not something that can be noticed by the eye which makes it a difficult problem to find. What happens is that the inside diameter of the hose gets smaller which causes a higher pressure to the caliper in turn pulling the car to one side.

It is also something that just happens without warning. Check your calipers aren't sticking on the pins, check the pistons aren't sticking in the calipers, check the rubber hoses (can only see how old they are and replace if in doubt).
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant."
Tycoon

Post by Tycoon »

Hi Guys

Thanks for all your input. I am gona strip down the front callipars tonight as it makes sense to start there. Got a pirate callipar kit, wil put that in for now. Will keep keep you posted.

Cheers Stephen
Tycoon

Post by Tycoon »

Hi Again

Finally have the calipers out and stripped, seems that they are indeed the problem.
The right side’s pistons and cylinders are rustedand and the left isn't far behinde. Looks like the rust has been there for some time. Had a jolly time getting the pistons out, eventually got them out using compressed air. Will contact Wingate tomorrow; see if they can resleave the calipers.

Thanks again for every one’s input.

Cheers Stephen
Cookie Monster
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2006 Hilux DC V6 Auto 4x4 Oldman Emu suspension

Post by Cookie Monster »

Glad things are getting sorted out :mrgreen:
2006 Hilux DC 4x4 4.0 V6 Old Man Emu suspension, Long Range Fuel Tank and a LA Sport Sump Guard, Natko railings with spade and high lift brackets, LA Sport high lift jack mounts, Powder coated Hilux Nudge Bar, Hella LED light bar, LED Work Light
Scooter
Town: JHB
Vehicle: '94 Raider, '05 Vigo 4.0 v6

Post by Scooter »

Hope that solves the problem Tycoon :!:

We used to have all sorts of fun trying to get pistons out of calipers, sometimes they are so set not to come out that even compressed air wouldnt work.
Always remember to place a piece of wood in front of the piston when using compressed air so that when it comes loose it doesnt get damaged by hitting the caliper. And of couse mind you fingers.

have you checked that the pirate kit is the right size? I have found that some of these pirate kits are incorrect and that will cause even worse problems like brake failure.
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant."

Return to “The Workshop”